VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong - it's not that I expected to lose a lot of weight in a week. But after going to the gym and following the diet, I really didn't like gaining.<br><br><br><br>
Three pounds, to be precise.<br><br><br><br>
Now if I'm totally honest with myself, I did cheat. But on the days I cheated, I made for it with exercise.<br><br><br><br>
My rant isn't really about gaining when I go on a diet, it's more... do you think there comes a time when you've been successful on a couple of diets, only to have gained it back, that you start sabotaging yourself unconsciously right from the beginning so you don't have to relive the disappointment?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Even with the extra exercise, the cheating must be what's getting you.<br><br><br><br>
Last year I watched a video about this. There is scientific evidence that all of us are born with a specific weight "comfort zone", and a lot of it has to do with your genetic make-up.<br><br><br><br>
So, your body wants to be within a certain range, and for some people that range is just too high. So when you diet and exercise, you get to the level you want to be at and you get off the diet and the exercise and your body and mind immediately go on overdrive to get you back into your "comfort zone".<br><br><br><br>
Achieving the diet isn't the hard part, it's keeping yourself down at the level you want to be at. Your body is working against you, so your willpower and determination are the important things here.<br><br><br><br>
Keep at it. You can achieve your goals and keep yourself down to where you want to be. Don't quit the diet once you're at a respectable level. Keep exercising, keep eating healthy, no "cheating" [not even after you've lost the weight you wanted to lose].

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Frankly, I don't think a week is long enough to tell. You still have water weight and hormonal fluctuations to account for. 3 pounds isn't much, that could just be fluid retention. Give yourself a month at least before you start beating yourself up.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Throw the scale away, it doesn't matter what you weigh. Eat properly, exercise and judge your progress from the way you look and the way your clothes fit. This is a lifetime change not a quick fix. The extra fat will begin to disappear in good time.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
A week isn't enough to tell anything. But if you try to loose you can gain - if you build up muscles, if you eat more salt, and more reasons like the already mentioned hormonal fluctuations.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It could just be water weight. I gained 3 pounds between Monday and Tuesday and I know I could not have possible gained 3 pounds of fat in one day. Try not to worry about it. I know how it feels though. You get depressed about it then you think you might as well eat what you want if you're going to gain weight anyways. Pay attention to how your clothes fit rather than what the scale says.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Don't go on a diet. The only way you'll reach a healthy weight (which may be different from your "ideal" weight) is to have healthy eating habits and an exercise regimen that you can maintain forever. The mentality of "cheating" on a diet is really toxic thinking in my opinion. Just do your best to eat reasonable portions of healthful foods and to exercise in ways that you enjoy. Don't weigh yourself frequently or deny yourself something you really want ot eat. I guarantee that you'll have better luck reaching a healthy weight in this way than with dieting.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've done wonderfully just changing the way I eat. And I did this not to lose weight but to feel healthier. What I did was I increased my fiber slowly to the current point of about 25 to 30 grams a day. Basically if it has less than 2 grams of fiber in it I don't eat it. I try not to eat processed foods or refined sugars as well. I feel so much better..my energy is level, my moods are even, and I never feel hungry or crave sweets like I used to. I really don't know how much I weigh but I can tell you I went from a size 20 to about a 14 in roughly a year. I don't really go out of my way to excercise with the exception of dancing a couple times a week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts