VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ashamed to admit, but for the past few days I've been craving meat! I have no idea why. Please help me stay on track!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Erm. Do you ever eat tofu? If you press it long enough it'll have a more chewy, meaty texture. I coat my tofu in wheat germ with a little salt and pepper. Then I'll make a honey mustard sauce with agave nectar. It tastes pretty good. My omni brother likes it too.

If you don't like tofu, you could get some tempeh and try this recipe. I was making sandwiches with tempeh "bacon", tomato, lettuce, and vegenaise for awhile. They're pretty satisfying.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Get some Fakin' Bacon and make a BLT, make an open face tofurky and daiya cheese sandwich, get some Nate's vegetarian "meat"balls and have them with mac-n-cheese, make a garbanzo mock tuna salad, make a hearty vegetable soup and spice it up and dunk lot's of great bread in it, make a veggie burger and smother it with ketchup, mustard, relish and lettuce and tomato - there's lots of ways to feel like you're eating in a truly satisfying way without eating meat.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
67 Posts
morningstar has really good facon and you can get coupons for it a lot. I've found the cheapest to be at target or jewel when it goes on sale.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

I'm ashamed to admit, but for the past few days I've been craving meat! I have no idea why. Please help me stay on track!
Maybe you feel hungry because you need more fat in your diet? Nothing wrong with indulging on some peanut butter or hummus on crackers now and then. It's not so much the protein you're craving as the rich, fatty aspect of meat IMO. This is one thing that's addressed in the great new book "Vegan For Life". As touched on by this reviewer

Quote:
Despite the popularity of vegan diets that eliminate all high-fat foods, there hasn't been much research comparing very low-fat vegan diets to those that include some higher-fat plant foods. And there is reason to think that very low-fat vegan diets are not ideal. Eating diets that are too low in fat could be the reason that some people abandon vegan diets and return to eating meat. Many think of meat as "protein," forgetting that these foods are also typically high in fat. People who don't feel well on a vegan diets sometimes add meat back to their diet because they're convinced that they aren't getting adequate protein - when, in fact, they might have felt better by simply adding more fat to their menu. [A list of foods with their fat contents are given such as nuts (17 to 20 grams of fat per ¼ cup serving), avocado (5.5 grams) and firm tofu (11 grams for ½ cup).]
Pretty much replace the word "vegan" with "vegetarian" in the above. Interchangeable for the purpose of this topic.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I agree about tofu. If you're craving something like burgers, chicken sandwiches, or hot dogs, you could get individual substitutes for those, too (Boca chik'n patties create a chicken texture and taste really well), but tofu is great because it's typically cheaper than specific pre-made substitutes, and tofu is also really fun to cook with and try new recipes with because it's so versatile. I'm not good at cooking but once you learn how to drain and press it then it's pretty easy to follow new recipes, marinades, breadings and coatings, and cooking methods. It's also common at basic stores which I love. I agree with Poppy about garbanzo beans sandwiches, too. Garbanzos are great for sandwiches because they act well as a filler like meat or eggs do in tuna or egg salad sandwiches for cravings.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
What kind of meat are you craving? There will probably be a specific substitute.

Also, if I ever crave it, I find it helps to think about eating it. REALLY think about it. If I really think, I end up imagining the flesh breaking apart between my teeth and getting stuck, and the nasty fatty gristly bits, and the bones, and it puts me right off again. Then I go and eat some fruit.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
What animal are you craving specifically? Look up cute farm animal videos on Youtube, watching them live might make you less hungry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts