VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son needs to bring a couple of earthworms to school on Thursday for a science project (don't worry, no earthworms will be harmed in the making of this project, it's an ecosystem in a 2 liter bottle.) Anyway, I have no idea how to find earthworms or how to transport them to school. So, how should we go about finding some earthworms? (BTW, we're in California and we really don't see a lot of worms around here, mostly just snails.)

·
Registered
995 Posts
I generaly find them in the dirt.<br><br>
No seriously I spread a black trash bag out on the ground, make sure the ground is a little moist and dump down some coffee grounds, it seems to attract them.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
They like to live in soil that has lots of organic matter. I like Ayrlin's method of attracting them- you're less likely to injure one trying to dig it out of the ground.<br><br><br><br>
Keep them in moist but not soggy soil or something, so they won't dry out or drown. I'm not sure what to feed them.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there anything that attracts them other than coffee grounds? We don't drink coffee so I don't wanna buy a whole package of coffee just to attract worms.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Any good compost will attract earthworms just keep it kind of moist, be sure not to add ANY animal products to the pile, no hair no milk or anything

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
At night, especially when the ground is damp, earthworms come out and lie on the grass. A few hours after dark you can go outside with a flashlight and pick them up. However, they keep their hineys in the earth and as soon as the light hits them they will pull themselves back into the earth in about as much time as it takes to snap your fingers. If you do manage to catch one this way, pull them up very slowly because they will rip in half if you pull too hard.<br><br><br><br>
My dad tought my sister and I this when we were kids, he used to have a job in Germany "picking worms" for fishermen when he was about 8 or 9 years old.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"At night, especially when the ground is damp, earthworms come out and lie on the grass. A few hours after dark you can go outside with a flashlight and pick them up. However, they keep their hineys in the earth and as soon as the light hits them they will pull themselves back into the earth in about as much time as it takes to snap your fingers. If you do manage to catch one this way, pull them up very slowly because they will rip in half if you pull too hard.<br><br><br><br>
My dad tought my sister and I this when we were kids, he used to have a job in Germany "picking worms" for fishermen when he was about 8 or 9 years old."<br><br><br><br>
Yup. Watch what the earthworm-eating "early"-birds do.<br><br><br><br>
Or just dig up any soil, anywhere. Yes, lots of leaves decomposing in the soil make for good earthworm habitat. My compost piles used to be full of the fattest juicyest earthworms imaginable.<br><br><br><br>
Where I live, ordinary earthworms, harvested in this manner, are called "night-crawlers" and fishermen use them for bait.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts