VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. (AP) -- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was euthanized Monday after complications from his gruesome breakdown at last year's Preakness, ending an eight-month ordeal that prompted an outpouring of support across the country.

"We just reached a point where it was going to be difficult for him to go on without pain," co-owner Roy Jackson said. "It was the right decision, it was the right thing to do. We said all along if there was a situation where it would become more difficult for him then it would be time."

A series of ailments, including laminitis in the left rear hoof and a recent abscess in the right rear hoof, proved too much for the gallant colt.
He was only 4 years old.

The rest: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

pictures: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It seems like they tried hard to get him better and it was time to let go.

Compared to the race horses sent to slaughter houses healthy, this doesn't seem so bad at all.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
It might be a positive overall outcome if the people who are so fond of racing are forced to deal with the reality of horse deaths from it. No other horse injured in racing gets this kind of attention - others would have been killed right off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The uproar from the general public seems silly. They have no comprehension that it was the forced RACING that caused the injury to begin with.

·
Registered
531 Posts
but it's more than the racing, it's the breed. Thoroughbreds have been selectively bred for generations to make their bones lighter and thinner so that they can run faster and faster. So even if Barbaro had been in a pasture, he still could have landed on his leg wrong while running for fun and hurt himself (I'm sorry if this is contradictory on facts, I didn't follow the story very closely).

RIP Barbaro.... people cared

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesGuy View Post

The uproar from the general public seems silly. They have no comprehension that it was the forced RACING that caused the injury to begin with.
Exactly. No one ever understands why I'm against racing, and this is a shining example. It. Hurts. The. Horses.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbock View Post

but it's more than the racing, it's the breed. Thoroughbreds have been selectively bred for generations to make their bones lighter and thinner so that they can run faster and faster. So even if Barbaro had been in a pasture, he still could have landed on his leg wrong while running for fun and hurt himself (I'm sorry if this is contradictory on facts, I didn't follow the story very closely).

RIP Barbaro.... people cared
No, it was related to racing:

Quote:
Q: How did he get injured?

He broke his cannon bone in the ankle of his right rear foot. (So-called because when it breaks, it sounds like a cannon going off.) But 1,200 pounds of eager young stallion racing other eager young stallions at forty miles an hour is hard to stop, and in the 100 yards or so it took the jockey to bring him to a standstill, he put more weight on the injured leg (see below for why), breaking his sesamoid bone and shattering his pastern bone in more than twenty places.
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...es/009611.html

But especially if these horses are prone to injury, it's cruel to increase the chance by many times that it will happen by forcing them to race.

·
Registered
541 Posts
What I don't understand is that it seems people weren't happy no matter what the owners did.

After he got injured everybody went "Watch, they are just going to kill him..."

They tried to save his life and everybody went "Oh, they are just saving him so they can breed...."

I think Barbaro was very loved by his owners and they did a lot more for him then most horse owners would....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been following this story for a very long time. At least now he can rest in peace and never have any more pain. People really do need to start realizing how negative using animals for entertainment is. The outcome usually isn't good. But I do believe that his owners truly did love and care about him. He had a really dedicated doctor as well.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I would never force my "loved" animal to participate an activity that had a decent chance of hurting or even killing him or her.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Does anyone think horse racing could be done in an acceptable way?.
No, I don't see how it would ever be acceptable. They are bred for speed and their thin spindly bones be damned. They are forced to race before their bones are even done growing. Everything about them is ready to break, then you literally run them into the ground. I have worked with horses my own life, own rescues, and I don't think there is any way whatsoever that professional horse racing could be done ethically.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Horse injuries can occur in non-racing settings to, including the wild.

It is great that they gave Barbaro a chance to survive, and to those who thought he was being saved for breeding purposes, it was determined awhile ago that he would never be a breeder. Also, it was pointed out he was worth more dead (insurance) than alive, so the care given to him was well intentioned and was in Barbaro's best interests.

That being said, the regular racetrack stock would never have such a chance; that is a shame. If you can't afford to take care of a horse like they did for Barbaro, you have no business owning a race horse.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.