VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have any of you had the chance to speak to her personally? i just came from a tars dinner event where she was the guest speaker, and i thought she was great. the only reason i went really is that i wanted to know what kind of psycho someone like her would be, but after hearing her talk, i think i changed my mind. she's a lot less scary than in thought she would be, she's actually very soft-spoken and a really nice person. she's very passionate and she even moved some people to tears there. in the end she made a little joke about wanting cattlemen to eat newkirk nuggets... i don't know, after hearing her talk and answer people's questions so well, it all just seems to make sense (the newkirk nugget thing). any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I would definitely be interested in hearing her speak (for the same reasons it seems you did).

Could you give us more information on what the event was about and what she talked about? I'd be interested to know.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've heard her speak, never met her. Most of her stuff sounds a lot better when it isn't being used as sound bits. Problem is, she crafts those quite intentionally.

I also have read that she can get quite vocal when dealing with her own people, but that she does solicit opinions and listen.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Before this thread has to be moved I would like to remind everyone that she is looking for opinions from people who have seen her speak and/or spoken with her - not your opinions on Ingrid in general.

Thanks in advance for sticking to the topic.

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was mainly a general talk, she said she usually talks to unfriendly aundiences so she was happy she was talking to veg*ans. then she was talking about her story, the experiences that made her become veg, and the things she was witnessed as a cruelty officer. she also talked about things she's seen around the world concerning animal abuse, like in india there are laws agains killing cows, so to make leather people make the cows march for miles and miles under the scorching sun with no food or water until they collapse and die. she said that after witnessing this, standing in front of bbc in london watching people go into work wearing their leather jackets and leather suitcases and leather everything, she felt like the was witnessing the cows march all over again, and she had an emotional breakdown.

hm.. also about giving fur coats to homeless people, she said the idea was because they had lots of coats that they didn't know what to do with (they were using it for bedding in shelters even) and the idea was to devalue fur and take the status and 'glam' out of it so that people will buy it less.

she said lots of interesting things.. i'll post whatever else i remember later.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I got to hear her speak a few times at AR2002.. she's definately a great speaker! Very energenic and positive..

though don't be mistaken - i do know some things about her(albeit not first-hand), and she definately is a bit psychotic.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'd be interested to meet her, but I wouldn't give my two legs to meet Mandela, Ghandi, or Lincoln! I wouldn't give my two legs up to find out if there's really a god out there!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I've never heard her. From what I hear, she sounds crazy, but she could be a down to earth person.

hey, I'm a pretty cool person and I'm crazy and psychotic, eh? Maybe Ingrid is as well!! But judging by PETA's antics, I'd stray to say that she's probably a bit crazy.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I can topple Loki´s message. I´ve never heard ABOUT her. Who can tell me who she is?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Really, Ingrid Newkirk is PETA. The organization currently exists to serve her ideals. When she finally dies, I wonder what will happen to it.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

I wouldn't give my two legs up to find out if there's really a god out there!
Good thinking, because what it you find out there isn't one? You're stuck without legs, and there is not even a life after death when you might get them back!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
You've spawned an interesting thought in my head, epski! Maybe if she dies suddenly, the board can take over PeTA, and it can become a proper pro-animal organization and do the amount of good it has the potential to do.

·
Registered
346 Posts
She had some crazy ideas about what would happen to her if she dies- an Ingrid barbecue - to show what flesh is FROM, a sentient creature, etc. etc.

I wish I could hear her speak! Yeah, I'd like to keep me bodily parts however. She sounds great, really passionate about it, creative and savvy. Duuude, like Captain Jack Sparrow alays said!! Yipes...I just said Duuude....never mind then . But yes, I would like to hear her speak at the AR conference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts