VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what a few terms that basically mean 'dead animal' are in ingredeints. What are some words for Rennet, Gelatin, Beef fat, ect?

I was scanning ingredients and the only package that I could come accross that I could make out was hostess cupcakes, which included 'animal shortening'.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I found this list. It doesn't seem that exhaustive, but it's a start. Some of the ingredients listed there are fine for lacto-ovos, so you might have to filter through it a bit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoa, thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Edit: Jesus that's a little overwhelming. Why do food companies put animal products in so many foods? I doubt it's needed in most products. Uhg, anything to save a buck I suppose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, especially on rennet. I'm reading through the artical on dog meat right now, gross.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Some tips from a long time veggie:

If you buy foods made for India or England, they will often say "suitable for vegetarians" or "not suitable for vegetarians" so you won't have to look as closely at the labels.

If you see "kosher" on foods that appear vegetarian, they likely don't have extra animal products inside.

"Cochineal" or carmine is the name of a dye that's used on food and fabrics. It's made from thousands of crushed beetles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts