VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i don't have a lot of sunlight, and don't want to buy one of those expensive mini-grow houses, any ideas? i'd love to have fresh herbs in my cold winters, without getting them from the store!

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
<a href="http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=52777" target="_blank">http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=52777</a><br><br><br><br>
Medesha started the above thread about herbs some time ago, although some of the discussion was about growing them outdoors.<br><br><br><br>
Lack of light might be a problem. Most herbs like full sunlight, and I doubt one of those grow-lights would be adequate. Do you at least have a window that faces east or west (or preferably south)?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I grow them inside during the winter but given that I live way south I may get better sunlight.<br><br>
I do suplament with a good grow light , the key is to keep the light on them for the hours they need it.<br><br>
Most people mess up and give the plants 24 hours of light and truth is most plants need that daily rest period of darkness.<br><br>
12 to 14 hours is about what I give mine

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ayrlin, where would I find a good grow light? Thank you.<br><br><br><br>
Tom, I'm moving in a few weeks, so I'll see about the windows then.<br><br><br><br>
Raspberry, I'm glad I could make you laugh at such a crazy thought of growing herbs indoors.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I buy mine from a local nursey but I'm sure most home improvment stores have them also.<br><br>
I use the long ones that attach to the wall and hang over the plants.<br><br>
I keep my plants in my garage which may or may not be OK for you, my garage lets a whole lot of light in and since I live in Southern Texas it does not get to cold and has light so like I said were you live may be a huge factor.<br><br><br><br>
I do not advise real tender herbs inside but I grow, mint,catnip,thyme,rosemary,garlic chives,parsley and cilantro inside during the winter, in fact half my garage is a garden.<br><br>
I have already started growing stuff.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much - I am not looking to grow many, so I think this will work perfectly. I am not sure what the new house looks like (I'm moving blind!) but I am sure I'll find an adequate spot. We have a few wonderful nurseries here, and I'll go there soon.<br><br><br><br>
Thanks Ayrlin

·
Registered
995 Posts
Not a problem at all, you can try growing basil inside also but I have always found it gets to leggy and does not taste all that great.<br><br><br><br>
But if you grow lots of it during the summer if you wash the leaves real well and dry any water off them they can be perserved fine all winter in olive oil

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,<br><br>
I dry and freeze a lot of my herbs, but that's a good idea, too. I also put the fresh ones in an ice cube tray, but nothing really beats chopping them off the plant and throwing them in a dish!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I do grow them, in a south facing window. I've found that they do better in one large pot, rather than lots of smaller pots. But to be honest, it's never been a huge sucess--still the expense and effort involved is relatively minimal, and if they do grow, the reward--fresh herbs in the middle of winter is well worth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts