VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm listening to NPR discussing the outbreak of SARS and potential new infections, and they talked with a woman who has investigated these marketplaces, where the animals are stacked in cages, trying to mutilate themselves (releasing blood), and being stored next to their natural predators... Urine everywhere... even the cleaning process is a mere spraying of a fire hose, which only serves to aerosolize (sp?) any contaminants. Might look clean, but there's no sterility at all, and the workers cleaning that area could well inhale a species-jumping virus...

Amazing...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ewwww.

Then again, sterilization isn't as important all over the world as it is here, or it isn't defined in the same ways. Cultural differences, perhaps?

Whatever it is, that's just *turns head to gag*.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dawngirl

Then again, sterilization isn't as important all over the world as it is here, or it isn't defined in the same ways. Cultural differences, perhaps?
Lack of information, standards, and enforcement. You see diseases being avoided, contained, and rarely originating out of the U.S., and for good reason.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
What show was this on, Epski? I would like to listen to it over the computer, and maybe I or you could post a link to the show.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Not disagreeing, lack of information/education/standards is a problem . Unfortuanately the "it's always been this way" attitude is prevalent in a lot of places (even in our own country), in addition to fear of the unknown, religious beliefs, or just plain ignorance. Governments that turn a blind eye don't help either.

A link would be great if you all can supply it. Interested.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard it over the radio, but you can check KCRW and NPR's home pages:

kcrw.com, I think (could be .org)

npr.org, I think (could be .com)

You may have to look around. It's the same thing I'd do, but I have so many windows open at the moment that Windows is about to crash. I'm on my older PC laptop while dog-sitting, and the lower memory and slower processor is killing me!

I'm sure it won't be hard to find, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts