VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
UTRECHT, Netherlands If there was ever a country that understands floods, it is the Netherlands, where one-quarter of the land is below sea level, and it is here that a modern Noah is constructing an ark.

Dutch building contractor Johan Huibers is close to completing a full-sized replica of the legendary boat in Dordrecht, located on the Maas river.

It all began in 1992, when Huibers dreamt of a flood. "I saw the Netherlands disappearing under an enormous mass of water, comparable with the tsunami in Southeast Asia," he has said. "The next day, I found a book about Noah's Ark in the local bookshop, and since then, my dream has been to build the ark."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...ands-ark_N.htm

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'm kind of proud to have such thoroughly amusing (and forward-thinking...?) neighbours

·
Registered
315 Posts
I live in Dordrecht so i've passed this ark a couple of times when going to work. It's a pretty impressive structure i must say but nowadays we've got other more effective methods of quelling the sea.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinoberserker View Post

I live in Dordrecht so i've passed this ark a couple of times when going to work. It's a pretty impressive structure i must say but nowadays we've got other more effective methods of quelling the sea.
Pictures?

·
3,936 Posts
there was a guy who was making an ark, and he was using a concrete barge as a base...I wonder if it is the same guy...that thing looks like it would come apart with a few sea waves.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

there was a guy who was making an ark, and he was using a concrete barge as a base...I wonder if it is the same guy...that thing looks like it would come apart with a few sea waves.
i think it is the same guy. I've read somewhere he got this official seaworthiness licence so that must count for something right?

Found a picture from the inside.

Attachment 14658

Apparently he plans to put some live animals in there.

LL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts