VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
the only thing we've found that works decently vegan is using garbanzo flour. i believe fat free vegan has a recipe for it. tastes just like the egg version.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
The best thing about egg-free french toast is you don't get nasty big globs of custard that always reminded me of congealed mucous when I was a kid.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congealed mucous. Now that's good eatin'!

I do believe I have some garbanzo flour. Looks like there will be a french toast tutorial tonight. Thanks!

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Here's a pumpkin french toast from Vegan Brunch: http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/pumpkin-french-toast/

This has been on my 'make soon' long enough to make me question my understanding of the word 'soon'
Haven't tried it yet though. The ingredients in this one are commonly available, or at least more available than besan (chickpea flour). Reviews on food.com suggest using bread that isn't really really stale results in poor texture.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
These recipes sound really good! I've never made french toast with flour/cornstarch. Will have to give it a try. Normally, I just add egg replacer/ground flax seed to almond milk.
I also like to add a little earth balance to the oil when frying.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Here's a pumpkin french toast from Vegan Brunch: http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/pumpkin-french-toast/

This has been on my 'make soon' long enough to make me question my understanding of the word 'soon'
Haven't tried it yet though. The ingredients in this one are commonly available, or at least more available than besan (chickpea flour). Reviews on food.com suggest using bread that isn't really really stale results in poor texture.
Sounds fantastic. I was reading up on french toast prep and a lot of people did say a slightly stale baguette was the way to go. Thanks for the recipe!

A little earth balance would be lovely. I always used butter back in the omni days. Makes the taste so much richer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts