VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a rocky road since I joined I had a few occasions I had to slip because of our budget and because issues in our life and got me depressed and I turned to meat products for comfort.
However, I am using this time to adjust my diet and start anew. My husband supports me into this decision and he is still an Omni but, I am doing this for myself for my health and wanting a more peaceful living. I just went to the mental hospital a few weeks back for various reasons and I am wanting to better my life and my health and get healthy foods in my system.
I have seen majority of the anti cruelty videos and my husband and I are not wanting to support factory farming and we are trying not too. However, we are still doing baby steps in our life in my decision.
While I was in the mental hospital I turned out I was anemic. Are there any Vegetarian iron pills I should take or can I just get the over the counter iron pills? B12 vitamin is not a problem I already going to start taking it to feel better about my moods.
So when our food card funds comes in on the 10th of March I am getting my soy and almond and rice milk for milk stuff and soy yogurts and this is a start for me.

Karrie

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
First of all, congrats on one year! It's great that your husband is supportive of your decision;that's always a plus. When you were in the hospital, did you have a chance to meet with a nutritionist? They can be helpful in getting you started on a good veggie diet.

Here are some links that may help:

http://www.suite101.com/content/vega...ources-a166000
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/12-...n-sources.html
http://askville.amazon.com/type-vita...uestId=2753324
http://www.vegancoach.com/vegan-nutrition.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didn't get to speak to any nutritional but, I might look into one soon. Thanks for the info and Thanks for the Good luck. I am very good with green veggies, and other veggies, and fruits and whole grains and oats and I don't have no allergies to any foods. I been drinking Rice and soy and almond milk for almost 4 years now because I thought it was more healthier to have those and my husband's cows milks can stretch out more. I also wanted to add that Seafood part was easier on me because my husband is highly allergic to the smell or any seafood. When I was cooking it a few years ago he came in and had to lay down because he was dizzy from the cooked seafood. So I have not had seafood for awhile now.
But anyhow baby steps is the key and I am sure in a few years I will have a good healthy diet and proud of myself.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
If you have a natural foods store near you, like Whole Foods, they will more than likely have vegetarian vitamins and supplements. Taking a women's multi for iron isn't a bad idea for anybody. I would check there.

I'm glad that despite all of your hardship, you still want to stick to a vegetarian diet. I believe in you! Congratulations for making it this far, and be sure to stay around VB for many more years to get much needed support and advice.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep we have a few health stores around my area but they cost alot of gas and fuel because we live in a Rural area. However, I am hoping that this year this summer we will go to Chicagoland, IL to my parents area there are alot of stores up there that is mins away and I can have more access. There is a brand new store well not that brand new store just 4 years old or so. They have all kinds of foods between traditional and organic and natural and there is a Vegan and Vegetarian section of that store. Its a one stop store there and that is where I get my Soy and rice and almond milk when we visit my parents house and its under 8 mins away.
Even my meat eating mother is saying that meat isn't good for me and I was allergic to cows milk when I was a baby anyhow and she hopes that this diet will bring down in pounds I am sure it will in time.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Congratulations! The first year is harder even under normal circumstances so you're doing amazingly. Rock on!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi Karrie,

Congratulations!!! You and I started here around the same time. March 13th will be my one year anniversary going vegetarian. I totally understand about living in a rural area and not having access to a lot of food items. I do drive closer to the city (Chicago) once in awhile (by my Mom's) to shop. I also get a LOT of stuff online (Amazon, Ebay, Etsy, RawFoodWorld, etc.). My husband and I are trying to sell our house (oy vay) and move to the western suburbs (near his work). That will open up a whole new world for me and then I plan on going all of the way (Vegan). Hang in there and do the best you can. Remember, it's not always all black and white. Every bit you do is a step in the right direction.

Love your veggie sister, Laura

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Congratulations! Hang in there. My one-year anniversary is this Friday. I remember we joined around the same time. Glad to see you still here!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your little story Laura and info and Parsnip I remember you joined also. Thanks for the Well done from the rest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congratulations Karrie! And I love your online name. It describes what I think is one of the best parts of being vegetarian. It's so peaceful.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick View Post

Congratulations Karrie! And I love your online name. It describes what I think is one of the best parts of being vegetarian. It's so peaceful.
YEP I always had a good tendered heart full of compassion and peace. Sometimes I don't seem like peace but, we are only human we can only tolerate so much.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
bigg CONGRATS to you

peace, love and hippiness

1 - 14 of 14 Posts