VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody? there's only so much research you can do on the net and i thought it might be a good idea to ask you lot. what are the important things to make sure of when making up a vegan diet? i know you can't excatly substitute soya milk for cow's milk and that be it.

thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is no suitable cheese substitute, IMO. I've found that it's just better to give it up with no looking back.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Not to sound condescending, but shouldn't you focus on eliminating fish to become a vegetarian before attempting to be vegan? Slow down, its not a race.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have! i did last week. i took it up at home and it was agreed that the evidence i'd collected supported my theory of not eating fish
. i know it's not a race but i've wanted to go vegan since october of last year and only since then have i been winning victories domestically along the way. but thanks for the concern!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I guess the question now becomes this: Do you mainly rely of pre-made soy stuff, or do you make your own things?

Reason being this, many of the premade soy things are vegetarian, but NOT vegan (others are vegan according to the company). This includes soy cheeses, although some of them are. So if you rely on these, then your diet will greatly change (well in purchases at least).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so even if it says vegan on the box, it might not be? 'cause when i go into town and i buy soya milk (just because i like to drink them...and hopefully know what it's like to drink it every day in the future) they say suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

i don't think i'd ever need to substitute cheese as i stopped eating it a long time ago. i have a choice about that (except for cheese on pizzas...). but thanks, i will remember to steer clear of cheeses!

the thing is is that there's practically nothing to choose from here. there's one shop (Holland & Barretts) in town that i'd need to take the bus to, or there's a small vegetarian section with some vegan things and a few kinds of soy and rice milk in the supermarkets.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Right on, thats wonderfull.
I've recently become vegan...about 5 months. I think its a lot easier to try a lot of new things instead of replacing non-vegan foods. Explore your local health food stores, its a lot of fun...and you'd be suprised with what you find.

I agree, stay away from vegan cheese. Just give it up. Ive tried many kinds, and Ive always been disgusted with the results. But hey, i guess theres some random chance that you'll like it. If you try a few, and hate them like me, it might just be best to splurge and eat the dairy if youre really craving it, so you don't end up wasting food and money.

Also, if you don't like soymilk...(It tasted like play dough to me at first) try Rice Dream. I love the stuff.

When your reading labels, look first at the Cholesterol content. All vegan foods have 0 colesterol. But you still have to read on after that, small amounts of egg and dairy can show up as 0 cholesterol, since its such a trivial amount.

I don't support Peta, but they have a wallet-sized animal ingrediants list that they will send you for free if you send them an e-mail requesting one with your address. Its very convenient for shopping for food and beauty supplies.

Good luck, and congrats!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who's still eating fish here?

AKSJG's 10 Commandments of Veganism

1). Thou shalt not muncheth on dead fish flesh and enjoy the glory of being calleth a vegetarian or vegan. (this one is the equivalent of "Thou Shalt not Kill" in the biblical ten commandments).

2). Thou shalt not underestimateth the versatility of TOFU!

3). Thou shalt not falleth under the lie that nutritional yeast tastes like cheese, or makes other things taste like cheese. LET GO.

4). Thou shalt honor thy vegan brethren (aka "Vegan Police")- for thoust are thy guardians of the faith and thy holy label. (hehehe)

5). Thou shalt learneth how to maketh an awesome curry. Curry is thy gift to the poor vegan.

6). Thou shalt not falleth under the spell of those that claim thou cannot get B12 from non-animal sources. (learn to love the almightly shroom and doeth some research)

7). Thou shalt repeateth this mantra, "Anything they can eat, I can eat, too" as often as needed, but especially during times of temptation. 7).a: thou shalt calleth upon thoust creative powers and take refuge in thoust nearest HFS.

8). Thou shalt not LIE. ("I can't afford to be vegan," "I felt sick, so I had to cheat and eat some cheese", "My local HFS doesn't carry any vegan foods", etc, etc.)

9). Thou shalt realizeth the illusion of vegan cheese.

10). Thou shalt not EVER entertaineth the fantasy of happy, roaming, fresh grass munching, nuzzling their babies, frolicking in the sunlight, butterflies buzzing around, dairy cows.

AMEN.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tofu rebel

i have! i did last week. i took it up at home and it was agreed that the evidence i'd collected supported my theory of not eating fish
. i know it's not a race but i've wanted to go vegan since october of last year and only since then have i been winning victories domestically along the way. but thanks for the concern!
Congratulations on the fish! Now simply keep your eyes peeled for Omega 3s, B12, and the usual suspects, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If you find switching to soy milk difficult, try different brands.

Also try mixing it in with regular milk for awhile.

And giving up cheese is probably the hardest part. Vegan cheeses are mostly awful, though I don't mind white Veganrella or soy cheese slices in a sandwich.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really think soy milk is awful, but rice milk does the trick for me. Not as much protein, but I make sure to buy the enriched kind so I at least get calcium from it.

If you can't find a vegan cheese you like, try substituting avocado. I've found that it usually cures a cheese craving for me, especially in mexican food & sandwiches.

Also, a big congratulations
on giving up fish! Every step helps, so keep at it!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
If it says that it is vegan, then it will be. If it isn't, then the 1975 trade descriptions act can be brought up against the company. In other words, they won't label it as "vegan" unless it is.

Soy milk for cows milk - It's not an exact substitute, but it will work.

Soy cheese - Often contains casein, as it's aimed at the lactose-intolerant market anyway. People have been talking about the "uncheese cookbook" though, which is supposed to be good. I wouldn't know, because I'm not vegan and I hate cheese anyway.

Vitamin B12 - You'll need to know where you'll get this. You find it in animal products. However, as a vegan, you'll have to supplement it. But luck is with you. Marmite is fortified w/ B-12. Kellogs cereals are, and so are a lot of soymilks. It's made microbially (from bacteria, in a lab) rather than taken from meat when it's fortified.

As far as i know, you live in the Uk, so www.isitvegan.info will come in handy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you everyone!

so...don't bother with the cheese and try lots of vegan milks. it's quite cool really that i like soya milk, but i will try rice milk as well

thanks Eva-bo-beva, i'll look into the PETA thing, i've been looking for that kinda thing recently.

i've checked, and our cornflakes have B12 in so it should be alright. are there any more vitamins or things like that i need to make sure i have?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think that you should make sure to get some type of Omega 3 EFA daily. You can do this with flaxseed, hemp oil, or walnuts if you want to go the dietary route. Otherwise, there is a wonderful daily supplement that is quite cheap at www.veganessentials.com . I think it's one of the most important things to get in one's diet.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
iron is somethingw hich gets fussed at by some people, particularly when you're veg*n, since red meat is a good source of iron due to blood being rich in haemoglobin, hence iron. Make sure you know where you're getting iron from. Green leafy veg such as watercress are good sources. So is quinoa. Also make sure you know where you'll get calcium and zinc.

Other than that, you'll just have to worry about adjusting to the vegan lifestyle, which is vastly different from the vegetarian lifestyle as most vegetarians follow it.But good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy eating delicious vegan food.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aksjg

3). Thou shalt not falleth under the lie that nutritional yeast tastes like cheese, or makes other things taste like cheese. LET GO.

*sigh* Again, I'm left being the only one who thinks nutritional yeast tastes like cheese. I love it! I guess I just love it because I don't expect anything to taste exactly like something it's not. I like it as an ingredient that just has a cheesy type of taste.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts