VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will become a vegan. Now that my bf understands more it will be easier, he may need me explain more later if he didn't catch what I said the first time but he didn't say a thing to oppose me when I bought some vegan cheese so I think we're on the right track hopefully

I will become vegan after I have finished the food I bought that has some trace of milk and eggs but I won't buy anymore of those things. Once they're gone I will be a vegan

The other decision I've made is to buy as healthy as I can afford, I have a bunch of things that are healthy already so I'm aiming to keep the supply up. I want my physical exam to be the best I've had since I became an adult.

Thanks to everyone who inspired me to become vegan

·
Registered
642 Posts
That's so awesome
but one tip, make sure to get some vegan bathroom products too, soap, shampoo, hand soap, toothpaste etc.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLines View Post

That's so awesome
but one tip, make sure to get some vegan bathroom products too, soap, shampoo, hand soap, toothpaste etc.
By the time I finish my vegetarian food I should make enough money to buy that stuff. Do you know if The Body Shop is vegan friendly? They seem to be from what I've read but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keishari View Post

By the time I finish my vegetarian food I should make enough money to buy that stuff. Do you know if The Body Shop is vegan friendly? They seem to be from what I've read but I'm not 100% sure.
Hmmm I wouldn't know, I'd have to read the ingredients. I just buy my stuff from the health food store, costs about $25.00 every 2-3 months. I always buy things that say cruelty free and have no animal ingredients, health food stores normally have a good selection of vegan goodies.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:

The Body Shop was bought by Loreal in 2006 so even though they claim to not test on animals and be environmentally friendly and socially conscious and yada yada yada it seems like a bit of a sham to me. I've been buying my mascara from there because I thought they were cool but a Google search turned up this: http://www.vegaplanet.org/?p=508

So now I need to find vegan mascara from somewhere else, curses! I'm a big fan of Lush, over 75% of their products are vegan and they don't test on animals. Also Jason and Avalon products are good if you have them in your area. I like looking at the selection at Whole Foods (or any equivalent hippie health food store type place) too as they tend to have makeup and cleaning products from smaller ethical companies I've never heard of and it's nice to support the little guy. You can clean a lot with just baking soda and vinegar too, keeping it simple and avoiding the chemicals is always a bonus.

Congratulations on going vegan! Great decision

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

The Body Shop was bought by Loreal in 2006 so even though they claim to not test on animals and be environmentally friendly and socially conscious and yada yada yada it seems like a bit of a sham to me. I've been buying my mascara from there because I thought they were cool but a Google search turned up this: http://www.vegaplanet.org/?p=508

So now I need to find vegan mascara from somewhere else, curses! I'm a big fan of Lush, over 75% of their products are vegan and they don't test on animals. Also Jason and Avalon products are good if you have them in your area. I like looking at the selection at Whole Foods (or any equivalent hippie health food store type place) too as they tend to have makeup and cleaning products from smaller ethical companies I've never heard of and it's nice to support the little guy. You can clean a lot with just baking soda and vinegar too, keeping it simple and avoiding the chemicals is always a bonus.

Congratulations on going vegan! Great decision
Thank you, and thank you again for the info. I'll look into them.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'm seconding Lush! Almost all of my cosmetic products are from them, I like that you get to try things, the staff is friendly, the products are fun, without animal-testing and most of the time vegan (it's always clearly labeled). The only downside is that they're a bit expensive, but I only shop at Lush every few months because a bar of soap and a bar of shampoo last pretty long with me.

Anyway, congrats! It's awesome that you're taking this step
More power to you and good luck!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Oh, I want to add: for facial cleansing, try oatmeal! Just moisten your face, mush some oatmeal with warm water in your hands and rub it over your face. Then take it off again with warm water and a washcloth. It's really cheap and makes your skin very soft

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good for you! Luckily my boyfriend became vegan with me, so it was much easier - glad he is on board with you going vegan!

I would say Lush too - they have so many vegan options and they are just the most amazing place for bath/ body products! Everything I have, that I don't make myself, is from there!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yea, also saying Lush. The Body Shop was one of the first major instances of 'greenwashing' to make it more appealing to customers. The entire concept was stolen, lied about, including the charitable donations (which did not happen for the first 11 years of the company and were very low after that). I wouldn't be surprised if they tested on animals, in fact a part of me could swear blind that they got in trouble for that at one point. I watched the Ali G where he interviews the woman that founded it, too, it's amazing to see her lie barefaced to people about the company's ethical practices.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Lush is nice, but I find it easier/more economic to just buy my products and my health food store.

Many congratulations on you're decision. I promise you, you'll feel better for it!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
And now for an alternative approach:

I recommended eating guides in the other thread. I have other advice about veganism though...this advice is controversial but shouldn't be. It involved how we choose to define "vegan."

My point is don't make it harder than it has to be. You're sparing the biggest amount of suffering my abstaining from chickens, fish and eggs. Abstaining from pork prevents massive suffering as well. Avoiding beef and obvious dairy products also help prevent a lot of suffering.

Some people choose to nitpick and struggle over questions of granulated sugar, polaroid film, etc. I personally feel like the lengths you'd have to go through to attain 100% purity far outweigh the extra positive benefits for animals, and the extra time and effort would be better spent in other ways. How many more animals does it spare to be 99.9% vegan than 99%? Is it worth the extra effort? Will it alienate us and make veganism seem harsh and unreasonable to our friends and family? Will we hurt more animals than we help by striving towards that elusive 100%? Those are serious questions, and my advice to you as a person who's considered himself vegan for going on a decade is to avoid the obvious animal products and if at all possible try to find some way to get involved in helping animals or advocating for farm animals. I hand out booklets for a group called Vegan Outreach and I donate a little of my income to them every month. While the vegan police may claim that since I take sugar in my tea or some of the bread I eat may contain traces of milk I am not vegan, the fact that my contributions have likely converted close to 100 others to vegetarianism means I've spared far more animals than some of my critics have, so I sleep soundly at night.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Josh James, that is helpful. I know it'll be kinda hard. Just yesterday I got in a small argument with my friend when I was trying to convince her that milk isn't as heathy as she thinks and that it's not important. *sigh* She wouldn't believe me and she dragged religion into why she disagreed. I'm learning how to pick my battles now too...

To the rest of you, thank you for the support and the advice on Lush. I'll be looking into those soon.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:

Thank you Josh James, that is helpful. I know it'll be kinda hard. Just yesterday I got in a small argument with my friend when I was trying to convince her that milk isn't as heathy as she thinks and that it's not important. *sigh* She wouldn't believe me and she dragged religion into why she disagreed. I'm learning how to pick my battles now too...

To the rest of you, thank you for the support and the advice on Lush. I'll be looking into those soon.
Oh yes, picking your battles... That's one I have to get down as well. I still tend to flare up too much or get into arguments with people I really shouldn't even look at. I do get better though
You can do it!

Other than Lush, I think the recommendation of health food stores isn't too bad. I don't know about any brands in the US of course, but I'm sure there will be cheaper alternatives near you too

·
Registered
721 Posts
congrats!

another vote for lush! i also use 365 which is wholefoods generic brand and its pretty cheap. also, i use baking soda as toothpaste and it seems to be whitening my teeth. its a little rough to get used to the flavor but my teeth feel super clean.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

Oh yes, picking your battles... That's one I have to get down as well. I still tend to flare up too much or get into arguments with people I really shouldn't even look at. I do get better though
You can do it!

Other than Lush, I think the recommendation of health food stores isn't too bad. I don't know about any brands in the US of course, but I'm sure there will be cheaper alternatives near you too
Oh well, I'm going to try not to get into arguments, I'm happy her and I ended the argument in a peaceful manner and we're still good even though I said something mean to her but mostly out of anger. I apologized and I decided not to continue with it. I'll learn.

Anyway, I'll make a trip to whole foods and browse around their body care items.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I live in Canada, and there's a great Canadian brand (read: local) called Nature Clean that sells house cleaners, dish detergent, laundry detergent, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. for a reasonable price! They're both vegan, animal testing free, and don't contain any harsh chemicals! I checked at the store nearby me, and they didn't have the hair products, but they had the body wash and hand soap, and I haven't checked for the cleaners, but they might have them too. The website claims to be sold at places such as Save on Foods, Safeway, London Drugs, etc., but I have yet to find the time to check @[email protected]

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

While the vegan police may claim that since...

I've spared far more animals than some of my critics have, so I sleep soundly at night.
I find your phrasing off-putting and creates negativity among vegans. People might criticize you, and that's their business, but I think you're lobbing some rocks back, when there's no need to do other than just state your opinion from your point of view.

I wish people would drop the whole "vegan police" thing and it makes me cringe every time I read it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts