VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend keeps asking me about this so I thought you guys would know.

What is the exact impact that I as one vegan have on the meat industry?

Because his argument is that he won't have any real impact on the meat industry by being vegan.

He is the type which says that there is no point to be vegan unless the entire world becomes vegan.

I see it a completely different way and was wondering if you guys had some statistics etc (he is an more into numbers etc)

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
In 2005, total meat consumption (red meat, poultry, and fish) amounted to 200 pounds per person, 22 pounds above the level in 1970. Americans consumed, on average, 17 pounds less red meat (mostly less beef) than in 1970, 40 pounds more poultry, and 4 pounds more fish (data are available through the Food Availability (Per Capita
-http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/Consumption/

Therefore, you are letting 200lbs of animal live, and lowering the demand by 200lbs.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Yes, you will be lowering the demand for meat & dairy, but sometimes it gets me down because of how much waste there is in the food industry. They throw out lots of food every night. And then there's the occasional meat scare that forces the industry to trash tons of meat. Or the time a truck full of meat had a wreck and again, tons of meat was scrapped because of it.

Also, with all the rampant over population and senseless reproduction, just one extra meat eating kid in the world will offset a lifetime of sacrifice by a vegan.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Does the impact really matter? I do not feel comfortable eating dead animals or animal products, and do not personally want to support that industry. Whether the rest of the world does or not, I dont want to be part of it.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Each of us has a small tangible impact, but none of us is as positive a force as all of us, and each of us has the potential to more than double our positive impacts as vegans by being involved with proactive outreach that recruits new vegans.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I don't believe that my personal impact is so very big... However, my mother and a friend have gone vegetarian and another friend has told me that she wants to try going vegan once her children are a little older. This would mean that I've tripled or even quadrupled my impact, without actually trying to make anyone do anything. And who knows, maybe other people I've had to do with have halved their meat consumption as a result of a talk with me about veganism, or something like that. It's all tiny, but it's what I do.

Also, even if I had no impact at all, I don't care. I boycott Coca Cola because they had leaders of the workers' union (trader's union? sorry, my English vocabulary sucks...) killed in Columbia and Guatemala, not because I think I'll be able to make them go bankrupt. I won't even put a scratch on them, but I wouldn't be able to sleep anymore if I spent another cent on their products.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Each of us has a small tangible impact, but none of us is as positive a force as all of us, and each of us has the potential to more than double our positive impacts as vegans by being involved with proactive outreach that recruits new vegans.
Exactly.

Is your boyfriend trying to get you to stop being vegan or is he encouraging you to do more? If it's the former, ask him if any of our consumption choices matter? If they matter slightly, then you can explain to him that being vegan is similar to choosing to buy organic, fair trade, local, recyclable, etc. (but veganism has a greater impact and makes a louder statement than the others). Remind him that each little choice might not matter much but taken together they matter a great deal. If he responds that they don't matter at all, then he's probably pessimistic/depressive/nihilistic. In that case, just ignore him. His issues don't have to be your issues.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx everyone.

I indeed do it just because I would never feel comfortable eating animals after what I have learned etc, no matter what impact I have or not. My boyfriend is a little different. He was a HUGE meat eater before becoming vegan (he became vegan right after I did because I managed to make him enjoy my vegan cooking), but he is doing it mainly for the health reasons. So while I am thinking that I could never eat a piece of meat (glass of milk etc) ever again, he is more like 'one burger isn't going to kill me'. So that is usually where we have our discussions. Because no way I am going to cook him a burger!

I do believe in the impact of making people lower their meat consumption etc. I am seeing that the more I show HOW it is possible to cook yummy vegan meals that people around me are becoming more open to the idea.
So that's positive.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Does the impact really matter? I do not feel comfortable eating dead animals or animal products, and do not personally want to support that industry. Whether the rest of the world does or not, I dont want to be part of it.
This exactly. Even if there was absolutely no impact, it's something I don't agree with and, therefore, don't want to take any part in...

ETA: My veganism also impacts others. My husband eats much less meat than he would if he were not married to a vegan. So not only do I not contribute to the meat industry, his contribution is greatly reduced... I'm sure others here have an impact on those around them, thus impacting the meat industry, even if only a little...

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Personal change doesn't equal social change. But the more people you inspire to make the change to veganism the more change happens.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Basically what everyone else is saying, and even if it made no impact, 'not in my name' is enough.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just abstaining from meat might give people around us something to think about, even if it doesn't have much of a direct impact on the meatindustry. You can set an example by being a healthy vegetarian/ vegan.
If everyone thinks "hey, let's not give a crap about the suffering in the world, it's never gonna change anyway", well, then the world will collapse. If everyone on the other hand try to make small positive changes, then it could slowly ease the suffering a bit. Maybe that is...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I do believe everyone can have an impact. Positive and negative.

If everyone had your boyfriends attitude than nothing would change.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
my impact is that i'm not contributing to the torture and death of animals. maybe i have more of an impact on the industry or other people but just my first statement is enough reason for me to continue.
plus i think it's healthier and much more delicious but that's besides the point

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
go visit a slaughterhouse. take in the sights and the smells. do you really want even the smallest part of that?

i think it's reasonably possible to keep dairy and poultry animals in humane conditions, and have milk/egg products. i don't think you can do it on an industrial scale for profit. and i think those products aren't healthy for humans to consume anyway.

challenge him to go to a slaughterhouse. at the very least, he ought to be man enough to see kill what he killed. then let him go out for a steak.

·
Registered
468 Posts
it's kind of like voting for elections...one vote doesn't change anything but it's the thought of the whole. As a group, i'm sure that vegans have a large influence on what is stocked in grocery stores. Just in the last 5 years there has been a huge trend to more natural foods and more vegan friendly foods. A lot of omnivores are exposed to the same foods too.

i've never voted though lol

·
Registered
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

This is exactly how I feel.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The fact that one vegan more or less won't have any impacts on the whole is the best excuse not to do anything.
But it's important to do it anyway, because the more we are, the more impact as a group we'll have!
Yumy is right to compare it to voting. Ask your boyfriend what he thinks about voting, if one vote can make a difference or not. If he believes it does, he should be able to understand than one more vegan can make a difference

Besides, as said numerously previously, lots of us have had an impact to one or two people close to us. It doesn't change much right now, but in the long run it's beneficial, for the demand/supply of vegan food, and for animals of course. And for the health of people we convinced to stop or reduce eating meat.

Sometimes I think being vegan is more a boycott than anything; not financing the meat industry, companies testing on animals, etc.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What about health reasons. Not everyone is vegan to save the fuffly dolphines that live in the fridge... or something.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts