VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Im new to these boards.

I have been a vegetarian for a year, just recently getting a bit stricter about it. Limiting cheese, no eggs, (I already didnt drink milk). Im heading towards vegan but not going there overnight. I know Im not ready yet (I do things slow, I thought about going vegetarian for years before suddenly one day I just knew it was time for the change).

Im currently having a problem with my work. I work at a pizza parlor. (Im a delivery driver, not a cook so I dont have to touch the meat or anything although I do transport it to customers). My problem is with the mice, which frequently invade our store and get into our cheese, pizza dough, and other food products.

Now I fully understand that the mice need to be controlled. I know I have to pick my battles, and I know Id get nowhere if I demanded the little mice be allowed to "run free" because they eat the food and stuff.

Anyway, our district managers demand we use these things called "sticky traps". Some of you probably know about them..they are not poisonous or anything so for this reason some idiots actually claim them to be "humane" but they are NOT humane. The mouse walks onto them, gets stuck, cannot move and then sits there for DAYS or longer until it starves to death or dies of dehydration.

This is something that makes me physically ill. They put these traps all over the store. I see them on a daily basis, with the mice on them. It has made me cry and have anxiety attacks on more than one occasion. My manager never deals with the mice or puts them out of their misery. He just leaves them there covered in their own feces, leaves them til they pile up on the traps, and eventually (maybe once every three months) he cleans them.

I have talked to my manager about this. He knows my position. I have offered to COME to the store ANY time, on my days off if neccessary, to use humane traps that just catch the mouse and then I can take them and let them go. I have made MORE THAN ONE offer to him to do this. I thought he was going to let me. They bought the humane traps, and then to my dismay, I See they put the sticky traps INSIDE the humane traps!

When I saw that I cried. I have written multiple emails to my boss and corporate manager about this issue. I have explained that these traps are inhumane and that the catch and release traps work JUST as well, and that Im willing to take FULL responsibility for them. I dont understand why they wont work with me?!!! HOW CAN THEY BE SO CRUEL!?

What should I do about this? Im looking for another job but I dont think I can just quit this one. Believe it or not I actually make 16+ dollars an hour some nights because of the tips I get for delivery driving, and its the only way Ive ever found to support myself. Im looking for a second job but even if I get one I dont think I will be able to quit this one.

I need help dealing with this issue. It may not seem like a big idea to some, but its severely affecting my mental health. Im actually near tears writing this post, it upsets me that much. Im supposed to be at work within the hour, and Im feeling sick to my stomach at the thought of going because I know since they just put fresh sticky traps down last night, there will probably be mice stuck to them, suffering. I dont know how to just "let it go" like my co workers tell me to-I cant let go when a living thing is suffering right in front of me! How can ANYONE?
Even when I beg my coworkers to do something about the mice (put them out of their misery-Id do it myself but Im very sensitive and would probably sob my eyes out throughout the rest of my shift if I had to kill them myself) they just laugh at me, like "here the crazy hippie mouse girl goes again, lets all laugh at her". I HATE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IS there anyone I can contact to make some sort of animal cruelty complaint about my work? If I contacted Peta would they do anything besides tell me to quit in protest? I want someone from an animal welfare group to write them a letter about sticky traps or something.

I really need help. I hope someone on here understands..what can I do?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am so so so sorry you are dealing with this.
I COMPLETELY understand what you are going through, and I can only imagine that I would be feeling the same way - even feeling the physical effects.

You could try getting PeTA's support or a local animal rights group's support and asking for literature or even a letter to give to your management about the traps. I don't know how successful that would be, but it is honestly worth a try.

I can imagine it would be difficult to leave that job, considering how much you get paid. It's good you are looking into getting a different job - who knows if they will ever stop trapping (it doesn't seem like they will). If you can afford to quit, I would as soon as you have another job opportunity. The reason why I advise this, again, if you can afford to, is because it is not only affecting you emotionally but also physically. This could do a lot of damage to your health if you don't get out of that environment soon. Especially with how your coworkers treat you. You don't deserve that.

Again, I am very sorry you are going through this.
Please feel free to PM me if you need to vent again or let out those emotions. I can definitely sympathize with you.

Edited to add: and welcome to VB.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^Thats what I was thinking! It seems gross for there to be rotting bodies left around food. The thing is, if I do call the health department and complain they WILL know it was me. Because customers cant see the traps since they are in the back, and NO ONE even cares about the mice but me. So if I complain to the health department can they fire me for that?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I work at a Health Dept. I can ask what the procedure is for a complaint. I'm thinking they should be able to go in, maybe for a 'surprise' inspection. That way no one will have to know that someone called in a complaint. Not sure though. I understand why you feel the way you do about the mice. I used to work in a hospital kitchen. They used the glue traps all the time. I used to check the traps and whenever I found a mouse on one I would take it outside, put some dirt around the little feet and very, very gently scrape them off of the trap. It's very tricky because they squirm a lot since they are frightened and they are very delicate little creatures. The glue sticks to the feet somewhat but the dirt helped to keep them from sticking back to the trap. It wasn't an ideal situation and luckily we didn't have that many mice. But at least I was able to free some of them. I tried the humane traps but they used to attract ants so they wouldn't let me do that anymore. I hope you are able to find a solution to this situation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. They use the snap traps at work (where I work is not food related) and I snap them myself when I see them. I get really upset because when I don't notice one and they kill a mouse, they parade it around like they really accomplished something by killing a mouse. Big men, huh?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you guys for your replies, I appreciate it.

Yeah they wont usually let me save them..sometimes they will if the trap is "full" but they feel if there is only one mouse stuck I guess it wastes the empty glue space.
SO thats probably why they wont do anything about it or put them out of their misery.

I went to work today and didnt want to be miserable all night so I just FORCED myself not to look at the traps. Which is hard because they are all over where I work, but I know where they are and I tried hard not to look because I didnt want to see a mouse alive on there and not be able to help him/her.

Karen, I know the health department wants us to use the sticky traps, but Im thinking it might be some kind of violation to leave the bodies on there for so long (what really gets to me). PLease do let me know what the procedure would be for a complaint..I would defininately consider it if the problem gets worse (them never being changed, it really did go three months or so before). Maybe if they were forced to change them all the time it wouldnt bother me so much..I dunno.

Sometimes being so compassionate feels like a curse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This reminds me of my job at Petsmart where they used glue traps as well (that seems a little counter-intuitive, doesn't it!). I'm pretty sure you can make annonymous phone calls to corporate, the health department, human resources, whomever will listen! Give them different complaints according to the department: health for all the mouse bodies, HR because of your anxiety from seeing the dead mice and harassment from your coworkers, etc. The worst thing you can do is let the issue go. You don't need to have a smart mouth to them, or anything like that, but don't turn the other cheek either.

Trust me, this experience will make a fighter out of you.
If my job at Petsmart taught me anything, it was that standing up for yourself and the animals, no matter what happens, you win in the end. That, or I'm waaaaaaaay too optimistic and stubborn.

You could also be bad and steal all the traps at work and throw them away (not that I'VE ever done that or anything... *whistles innocently*), but that might not be such a good idea if you really need your job. My earlier suggestions shouldn't cause you to lose your job, though. Contact a local animal rights group or humane society and try to get help from them. Bring a camera to work and take pictures of all the traps and find a contact at PETA to help you out (not that I've done that either....
).

I wish you good luck, and know that our thoughts go with you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts