VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made my first vegan block uncheese EVER! It's setting in the fridge for me!!! This is a huge deal, because I have to order 2 ingredients. I'm so excited, I hope the Swizz cheez taste nice!!! I miss cheese!!! I love the sound of the recipes in the book!!! I feel like a kid on Christmas day!!!!

and the good news? May husband MAY go vegan if we find a good cheese!!!!!

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Which book? I've got The Uncheese Cookbook but I've been nervous about making some of the cheeses that use agar flakes because they are so expensive. I hope you'll post a photo!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Which book? I've got The Uncheese Cookbook but I've been nervous about making some of the cheeses that use agar flakes because they are so expensive. I hope you'll post a photo!
I brought the ultimate one. Yes agar is costly but you use so little of it. For the one I'm making you will get about 10 blocks of cheese from? It works out about $1.90 australian per block no not too bad.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
That's awesome! I'm very curious to hear how it turns out and would love to see a pic also.

I saw agar agar at my local international store for really cheap. I paid like $7 (USD) for a tiny bag of organic and they had a big bag for $3 but it wasn't organic. I question the quality of it, but next time I have to buy some I'm going to look into it more.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It is so hard to find vegan cheese that tastes like real cheese but I hope you can achieve it! Congrats!

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's awesome! You will have to let us know how it turns out!

I miss Swiss cheese so much sometimes, that was my favorite.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPotato View Post

That's awesome! You will have to let us know how it turns out!

I miss Swiss cheese so much sometimes, that was my favorite.
I know this doesn't help by talking about it but ah, my favorites were pepperjack and sharp cheddar. Yum..... (Now I'm cursing myself for remembering)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keishari View Post

I know this doesn't help by talking about it but ah, my favorites were pepperjack and sharp cheddar. Yum..... (Now I'm cursing myself for remembering)
They sold a vegan version of pepperjack here at Christmas time, it was sooo yummy even omni boyfriend liked it. I think it was a seasonal product but I heard a rumour they might be bringing it out permanently.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I tried a vegan pepper jack cheese that I bought at Food Fight Grocery in Portland Oregon last summer and it was delicious. But I can't remember the name of it. My husband loved pepper jack and I did too on sandwiches and stuff. When we saw it we figured what the heck let's try it. I don't like any vegan cheeses unless they are melted but we sliced it up and put on sandwiches and the texture was slightly crumbly the way I remember slices of block cheeses being and the taste for pepper jack was spot on. We both want to get it again but we haven't been back down to Portland.

I've been googling brands and I haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
That book is amazing. My girlfriend and I made one of the blocked uncheese and it turned out amazing. We ate it all the next day in one sitting on crackers lol. We also made the French onion soup with the gruyere twice because it's one of our favorite recipes.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Swizz cheez is so yummy melted over pasta!!!! OMG!!!! I put some in the microwave and melted some for hamburgers, a huge hit. Even my veggie husband likes it, he is taking it sliced today. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could maybe post some cheese recipes if you like

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post

I could maybe post some cheese recipes if you like
Please do! That sounds amazing

·
Registered
459 Posts
Would you mind posting the recipe?

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Do you spoon it out of the container and spread it, or do you pop it out and slice it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts