VeggieBoards banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliaj View Post

That's definitely true of course. I am talking more about what we eat and how it affects our health and our bodies. Such as if soybeans are good for women, they will be good for men too. I am not really talking about the differences that make us male and female.
It does effect it, though. Eating soy, for example, can mess with estrogen levels if you eat too much of it. This obviously affects men differently than women.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thank you rabid_child for posting that interesting article. I was aware that men and women were each more prown to develop different health problems/diseases, however. I was really referring to the foods that we eat. If one food is bad for one sex, it will most likely be bad for the other.

I really liked the article though.

Elena, your right. It is never good to eat too much of any one thing, soy included. One serving of soy every other day is what I think is pretty good without going overboard.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Soy was an example, it's one of the foods that affects men and women differently because it can affect estrogen levels.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As long as soy is part of an otherwise balanced diet (veggies, grains, other beans, fruit, blah de blah) it is fine. If ALL you had was soy... soy milk at breakfast, soy bean burger at lunch, soy-based chick*n meal for dinner, followed by soy ice crean, YES, it could be bad.

just balance it out. Maybe cook with soy milk and drink a nut milk. Have veggie stir fry for dinner and top it off with soy ice cream.

Like with anything in life, balance is the key.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:

Hey, let me help you with this question. If something is good for one sex, it will be good for the other and vice versa, if something is bad for one sex, it will be bad for the other. Again, take a look at John Robbin's site and the question will be answered. If I sound too much like a preacher, I'm sorry, only trying to help!
I dont see how the heck that could be true. Men and women are different. Are you saying it would be good for men to take birth control pills or estrogen replacement meant for post menopausal women? I dont think so...

I know soy has something to do with estrogen, so I would assume it would affect men differently than women. Im not saying its neccessarily good for either, but it might be better for women than men.

My only knowledge on this subject was something I read about pregnant women not eating soy if they were having a male child, but it being okay for a female child.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The best thing that I can say to you is everything in moderation. The world of what not to eat is a confusing one, and most of the time it seems that everything is bad, then the next week what was bad is now good...argh. I just ignore it ans if I feel ok, then that is fine with me.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:

I am not referring to birth control! I am really only referring to the foods we eat, nothing else.
yeah but if a certain food effects hormones in certain ways, it makes sense that effect might be different for men and women.

Anyways to the OP I know how you feel about always feeling unhealthy. Not so much with cancer worries, but Ive had health problems all my life, a lot of them related to hormone issues (I get cystic acne on my face thats severely painful and it never seems to go away no matter what I do)..Ive read SO much about supplements and vitamins and this health food and that health food, and it seems like there is so much crap info out there about whats healthy or whats not (not just for acne prone people, but I figured my acne was a sign of me being unhealthy so I try to eat as healthy as possible)..it seems Ill read an article that says one thing and the next day Ill read one that says something completely opposite. Its so frustrating and I never know what to believe when it comes to health. SO I just try and trust the things I KNOW to be good for me..like eating a lot of veggies and fiber, etc.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

I dont see how the heck that could be true. Men and women are different. Are you saying it would be good for men to take birth control pills or estrogen replacement meant for post menopausal women? I dont think so...
it is not good for women OR men to take hormones.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well I can agree with that. But I imagine it would probably be more damaging for a man to take female hormones than a woman. But I agree that all artificiaL hormones are BAD. At least in the experiances Ive had with them.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Just sorta works out that I eat seitan, beans & soy, pretty much equally. And I use both soy & rice milk. Variety is good, I think.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
in general, a healthy vegetarian diet is diverse. so, the more types of food that you eat, the healthier you are. If you eat more soy than anything else, then this is unbalanced, right? so balance it out a bit.

also, instead of going with whatever studies are saying, why not check into how you feel? if you feel bad, then something is 'off' and you need to find the solution. if you feel great, why worry about it?

no need to stress yourself out over nothing. if you find you have a special need, then fix it. otherwise, just go along enjoying yourself.

(btw, i don't take any supplements, i'm ovo-lacto and soy free).

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Just stay away from the following and exercise a lot: Enriched Flour, Sugar, Hydrogenated Oils, and Corn Syrup. If you don't eat any of those, there's no way you cannot be healthy

21 - 36 of 36 Posts