VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i guess as you probably already know, im a vegetarian. (hence why im on this board) and i thought what im doing is actually healthier than you're typical omnivore. I take all the supplements, get as much protien as possible, and eat as healthy as i can. Now im hearing on here that soy is bad.

Soy is a big part of my diet, whether it be soy beans, or soy milk, etc.

it seems everything i do, no matter what, is going to give me cancer or some other disease.

im sorry i just dont know what to do, anyone else feel the same?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Soy is controversial, and there as many studies that say it's great as there are that say it's bad, or that it's alright in moderation.

You can be a soy-free vegetarian if it's easier on you. Or you can have it in moderation. Increase your beans, legumes, fruits, vegetables and whole grains. If you're using it for protein, do some research to see how much you need in a day - it's surprisingly little.

I know, it is frustrating. I could be incredibly healthy and still die if I somehow get lung cancer from smokers around me, or something like that. The media loves to hype on the Fear Cancer propaganda, and everyone knows someone who has cancer and either died from it or survived. It's just how life is.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I understand your frustration. It seems like everywhere you turn, something else is suddenly considered dangerous. It's overwhelming.

Unless you have an allergy to soy, it cannot hurt you. Eaten in moderation, soy is a very healthful food.

My advice is to relax and do the best you can with your diet. Concentrate your diet on such whole foods as fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and legumes. Try to avoid processed foods when you can. This way, you should feel confident that you're eating as healthy a diet as possible.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have a problem with non-fermented soy. I dont think I digest it, and I end up feeling awful-- bloat, diahreaha and other "posioning" symtoms. I dont eat tofu, or soy milk a lot for this reason. I dont react as badly to small amounts of tempeh. The fact is that all beans are not good for you. many including soy beans and red kidney beans have a toxic effect-- like someone above said, it is best to eat any food in moderation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Please go to John Robbins web site FoodRevolution and then .com. I'm sorry I had to write it this way but the forum won't allow me to include urls since I have not made enough posts (stupid right?). Also check out Dr. Joel Fuhrman's website drfuhrman and then .com. You will find the answer to this question on both sites.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey, let me help you with this question. If something is good for one sex, it will be good for the other and vice versa, if something is bad for one sex, it will be bad for the other. Again, take a look at John Robbin's site and the question will be answered. If I sound too much like a preacher, I'm sorry, only trying to help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nutrition really isn't that confusing. There is just so much misinformation out there. Read Healthy at 100 by John Robbins and Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman M.D. and you will have a much better understanding. Take a look at their websites if you want as well.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliaj View Post

Hey, let me help you with this question. If something is good for one sex, it will be good for the other and vice versa, if something is bad for one sex, it will be bad for the other. Again, take a look at John Robbin's site and the question will be answered. If I sound too much like a preacher, I'm sorry, only trying to help!
That actually isn't true at all. Many things affect one sex different than the other. Science/Medicine stuff was mostly based off of experiments on the average white man, not women. Not that has any relation to soy at all, just that everything that is good for one gender isn't necessarily good for the other.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Rabid_child, do you have proof of this? I would like to see it. Some studies in which the outcome was different for men and for women or something of that nature. At this point, I cannot think of any ways in which they would be different other than prostate cancer for men and breast cancer for women. Thank you!

·
Registered
102 Posts
See! More evidence that we are more alike rather than different, hehe. Um, breast cancer among men must be rare though, right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's definitely true of course. I am talking more about what we eat and how it affects our health and our bodies. Such as if soybeans are good for women, they will be good for men too. I am not really talking about the differences that make us male and female.

·
Registered
146 Posts
www.pcrm.org is the best veg health & nutrition info site I've found. All the info comes from qualified doctors, so you can trust the information. (Hmm... depending on your impression of doctors, maybe I should have left that last part out)

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliaj View Post

Rabid_child, do you have proof of this? I would like to see it. Some studies in which the outcome was different for men and for women or something of that nature. At this point, I cannot think of any ways in which they would be different other than prostate cancer for men and breast cancer for women. Thank you!
Quote:
Men and women are different in every organ of the body--;even their skin, says Marianne J. Legato, M.D., a cardiologist and founder and director of Columbia University's Partnership for Gender-Specific Medicine. They are different at the cellular level, and these differences may influence the amount and type of medicine they need to treat a disease.
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2005/405_sex.html It's an interesting "quick" summary about gender differences in medicine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.