VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I'm in the minority....I became a vegitarian, because I didn't like the idea of eating flesh...to close to my DNA. I just kinda feel out of place.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Doesn't matter why you did it, it's still good, even for those people who did do it for the animals.

·
Registered
637 Posts
All reasons to be veggie are good reasons. I am (or rather stayed - as I was raised a veggie) in it for all the sensible reasons. My parents are of the generation who got into it because of health reasons. We used to be the weirdos in school, at work etc... We all became sensitive to environmental arguments and animal rights when this became a topic, in the seventies-eighties... now we think being veggie is cool, healthy and a good moral choice. Nothing wrong with any of these labels !

·
Registered
176 Posts
I used to be the same way when I first started out veggie, now the animal things is just part of it. I think I blocked it out at first, it is to much to handle all at once. Anyway good for you and no matter what your reasons we are here for you.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
I'm not in it for the animals either. I do it for the environment - and, probably a lot like you, because eating something so close to my own flesh is pretty nasty! Caring about animal welfare however, came into the equation eventually. My husband is vegetarian for animal rights reasons so some of it had to rub off I guess ;-)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
That's okay. I'm only in it for the hummus.

But the animals are a close second.

We all have our own reasons. I started for health reasons and, upon being exposed to certain stuff, shifted my focus to the hummus and the animals. Health and the environment are just collateral benefits.

But, anyway, IMO veg*nism is a good thing no matter what your motivation.

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Whether you find all reasons equally good depends on how you see veg*nism. If you see it primarily as a consumer boycott of animal products, then all motivations are pretty much of equal worth since they all lead to the same changes in consumption. But if you see veg*nism more as a way to propagate ideas by expressing them with your lifestyle, then e.g. health veg*nism has less value.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I did it for health, the environment, logic, compassion, faith, kashi puffs, hommus, creezy cakes, enlightenment, veggie hotties, to piss off people with my vegan extremist additude, it was a requirement to join the vegan police force, to impress the hot cashiers at whole foods, to have a good icebreaker at AR rallys, cause I like getting into biblical arguments about animals at church, cause I like getting told I'm weird, cause I like getting called a TERRORIST!!!1, cause I like getting called a left wing liberal tree hugger like its a bad thing, so I will taste better, smell better, breathe better, to smell like a herbivore to get closer to wildlife, it comes with the bald head, to be different,

...oh and for the animals

·
Registered
684 Posts
I like JC & troub's reasons.

I'm in it mostly for the animals/environmental reasons. But also to piss my father off (he's a major conservative).

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

I did it for health, the environment, logic, compassion, faith, kashi puffs, hommus, creezy cakes, enlightenment, veggie hotties, to piss off people with my vegan extremist additude, it was a requirement to join the vegan police force, to impress the hot cashiers at whole foods, to have a good icebreaker at AR rallys, cause I like getting into biblical arguments about animals at church, cause I like getting told I'm weird, cause I like getting called a TERRORIST!!!1, cause I like getting called a left wing liberal tree hugger like its a bad thing, so I will taste better, smell better, breathe better, to smell like a herbivore to get closer to wildlife, it comes with the bald head, to be different,

...oh and for the animals
That is the best bit of writing I have ever read. Haha. Ahem.

I did it firstly for the animals, but now it's equally about the environment too. Whatever your reason, it's a good thing all round.

*hands out hummus*

1 - 20 of 36 Posts