VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a vegan for 3 weeks and love the energy I have and I feel so much healthier. But I need to get more vegetable servings in. And I know broccoli is a super food and I need to eat more of it ( or some of it) I love cauliflower but hate broccoli. How can I learn to love it! I choke it down on occasion because I feel like I should. Any ideas? I've tried raw, steamed, stir fried.... Ugh
I'm a vegan who hates broccoli Help!

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I know how you feel! I don't mind the taste of it, but I just can't figure out how I'm supposed to eat it! I know the stem and leafy part are edible, but I just can't figure out exactly how to eat a whole one. I know by itself I can eat it with my hands, by I had some mixed in a stir fry but I couldn't figure out how to eat it whole like that with a fork, and if I try to eat it whole with other vegetables, like in the stir fry, the already diverse textures of the broccoli become overwhelming with other vegetables if they have a similar odd texture. So how do others eat broccoli? Do you chop it up to get he textures distributed throughout a dish, or do oh always just eat broccoli whole and by itself? Before becoming vegan I never really ate a lot of vegetables. I'd never even eaten a salad. I'd only really tried beans, potatoes, carrots, peas, and just those basic veggies that are most commonly mixed into meat dishes. I have enough motivation to completely change my diet and try all these new foods, but some vegetables like broccoli I just can't figure out how to incorporate in a dish, and, like you, I'm not very interested in the taste, I just do it for my own health and because I won't eat an animal or animal based food, so in interested in hearing interesting ways to love broccoli, too.

·
Registered
468 Posts
you could probably substitute other dark leafy green vegetables for broccoli, I think most of them have similar nutrients (kale, spinach etc).

I don't eat enough of it either...usually I add it to fried rice, or I make asian dumplings and fry some broccoli w/ them and add sesame oil or soy sauce.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Have you tried it marinated in balsamic vinegar. Or make a "cheesy" sauce using nutritional yeast flakes - that's really yummy!

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
I lightly steam it so it is easier to cut and chew. And I put some sauce on it for flavor. Usually a cheesy sauce, miso/mustard, or orange juice/ginger/soy.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Welcome
I hated broccoli until a few years ago- now I love it! If you're really not a fan, and still want to get the nutritional benefits of it, there's always the option to steam and purée it and put in sauces etc. I really like creamed broccoli soup (with veg stock, puréed broccoli, puréed potatoes, soya cream, a little bit of chilli and pepper) if you want to try it like that. Also before I liked broccoli I would still eat it in curries mixed up with other veg (cut into small pieces) or in tvp shepherds pie.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganplease View Post

I've been a vegan for 3 weeks and love the energy I have and I feel so much healthier. But I need to get more vegetable servings in. And I know broccoli is a super food and I need to eat more of it ( or some of it) I love cauliflower but hate broccoli. How can I learn to love it! I choke it down on occasion because I feel like I should. Any ideas? I've tried raw, steamed, stir fried.... Ugh
I'm a vegan who hates broccoli Help!
Soup, man. Any old recipe should be fine. Y'know, stock, onions/leeks, maybe garlic, seasoning and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It's not the end of the world that you don't like broccoli! You'll survive perfectly well without it, as long as you eat a range of other vegetables including some dark green leafy ones.
Don't panic! It's great if you learn to love it, but if you don't, just eat lots of other vegetables.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Don't beat yourself up over foods you don't like.
If you're concerned about "missing out" on the nutrients, I found the book "Becoming Vegan" to be a great nutritional resource. I bought it when I went from Omni to Vegan, and was terrified that I wouldn't be able to make up for the fact that I wasn't eating meat anymore. Only about 15% of the info in that book is unique to vegans. The remaining 85% is valuable nutritional information that everyone, even omni's, should be aware of. I had no idea how important things like seeds were.

Anyways, as far as the taste of broccoli... Try adding them to green smoothies. There's a lot of into here on Veggieboards about green smoothies, and you can also Google the term. The whole idea behind green smoothies is that the fruit you use masks the flavor of the vegetables. Think of V8 Splash.

Off the top of my head, I'd take a blender, add some frozen strawberries, a banana, a sliced apple, a sliced carrot, and a half crown of broccoli... and blend it all together with some sugar and a tiny little pinch of salt.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree, 'Becoming Vegan' is a great help. I am about halfway through.

Have you tried adding it in little pieces in mixed stir fries?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Or....

it's okay not to like some foods.

<<<thinks broccoli is yuck

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Or....

it's okay not to like some foods.

<<<thinks broccoli is yuck
LoL...
That is true, too.
Brocoli is very unusual in that it provides certain things normally not found in vegetables.
hen reading a list of foods you'd get a certain mineral from, the list reads like: ...nuts, seeds, legumes, some beans, and broccoli.

It's worth squeezing in here and there, if you find a way that you like it.

But there are plenty of peoples around the world who go their whole lives just fine without one single floret of broccoli in their lives.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I'm too lazy to post a pic of Homer Simpson drooling, but that represents how I feel about fried broccoli and mushrooms mixed with mashed potatoes. Not the healthiest way to eat broccoli.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i agree with the ones who say don't worry about it. vegetarian doesn't have to love all vegetables to survive. There are a few I am not a fan of and I am doing well

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry if this was suggested, as I am too lazy to read the other posts. :p I would make smoothies and grind it up with your fruit. I do that with Spinach, and it doesn't affect the taste much, so I am assuming the same with broccoli. I tend to like any vegetable as long as it is mixed with other veggies in a salad, but I am not sure if everyone is like that. Also, steaming it gives it a different taste, and I like it steamed better, just make sure you only steam it for about 15 seconds, or it will take many of the nutrients out. Worst comes to worst, and no matter what you can't make yourself eat broccoli, there are many other foods that are just as healthy

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I know how you feel! I don't mind the taste of it, but I just can't figure out how I'm supposed to eat it! I know the stem and leafy part are edible, but I just can't figure out exactly how to eat a whole one. I know by itself I can eat it with my hands, by I had some mixed in a stir fry but I couldn't figure out how to eat it whole like that with a fork, and if I try to eat it whole with other vegetables, like in the stir fry, the already diverse textures of the broccoli become overwhelming with other vegetables if they have a similar odd texture. So how do others eat broccoli? Do you chop it up to get he textures distributed throughout a dish, or do oh always just eat broccoli whole and by itself? Before becoming vegan I never really ate a lot of vegetables. I'd never even eaten a salad. I'd only really tried beans, potatoes, carrots, peas, and just those basic veggies that are most commonly mixed into meat dishes. I have enough motivation to completely change my diet and try all these new foods, but some vegetables like broccoli I just can't figure out how to incorporate in a dish, and, like you, I'm not very interested in the taste, I just do it for my own health and because I won't eat an animal or animal based food, so in interested in hearing interesting ways to love broccoli, too.
I just cut up the broccoli florets and stems in bite sized chunks for stir fries and things, I'm not a fan of trying to fit huge broccoli pieces in my mouth either

I also second the suggestions for soups and green smoothies. Green smoothies especially are fantastic if you love the taste of fruit but aren't a fan of green stuff and still want to get all the nutrition, just whiz some spinach or kale all up in the blender with some banana and strawberries (or whatever your favourite fruit is) and there you go!

I also like putting broccoli in my salads, I just cut it up small and throw it in with whatever else I'm eating.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
You can get all of the health benefits from broccoli except amplified by eating dark leafy greens instead. If you don't like those either you should seriously just tough it out and learn to like it. That's how I learned to do a lot of things in life. My uncle made me jog till my tongue hanged out and now I enjoy a bit of exercise. Discipline is a major key to success in any endeavor. Food isn't all about fun and pleasure you know. It's fuel for your health and longevity.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.