VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!!

Just thought I'd do a quick intro. My name is Megan, i'm 23 (almost 24.. eek!) and I live in New York. I've been lacto-ovo vegetarian for 9 yrs this summer. I've always been an animal lover so it all makes sense, tho I actually couldn't deal with eating animals anymore after being handed a fetal pig in Freshman bio and being told to start cutting. (I refused.. left school.. got in trouble.. poor piggie tho!!)

I work in an animal hospital as a receptionist, which is kind of a crap job, and I do a lot of pet sitting, as well as take care of my own 3 cats (Cleo, Pepper, Monchichi/Munchie) and 1 foster kitten (Sully) and turtle (Beetle Bailey). I love to cook and though I'm the only veggie in the house my family is very happy to eat vegetarian. (Heck, they'd eat anything if it meant they didn't have to cook it!)

So thats me

I look forward to "meeting" all of you!

-megan

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Megan the vegetarian. Has a nice ring to it. Not as nice as Megan the vegan, but it will do for now.

Welcome! Sweet picture in your avatar, btw.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

Megan the vegetarian. Has a nice ring to it. Not as nice as Megan the vegan, but it will do for now.

Welcome! Sweet picture in your avatar, btw.
I know... there's actually a short punk song Megan the Vegan, the only problem is my name is pronounced M-egg-in, so it'd have to be Meggin the Veggin... which I'm okay with, but the vegans might complain

Thats my friend's deer in my avatar. I just got back last week from visiting him in Northern Michigan. He found it in the woods with its sister deer all emaciated and weak and abandoned
He waited around and waited around to see if their mother would come back but she was presumed dead. So he took them home and started bottle feeding them. The little girl died and the department of wild animal people or whatever told him he wasn't allowed to have it and to leave it in the woods to die, but he refused. He has it living in the woods behind his house (he's got 40 acres) but it comes running when you whistle to come get his bottles
He does get put in the barn at night tho so wild animals don't eat him. He's really sweet and gentle and he was giving me kisses in that picture.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Vegan is pronounced VEE-gun. I have an australian friend who goes by MEE-gan. Close enough.

That's an inspiring story, except the little sister died...

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

Vegan is pronounced VEE-gun.
That was quite exactly my point.. heh... and I don't want to go by mee-gun... maygan also bothers me a little.

It is sad about the other deer, but at least he could save one of them! We just hope he sticks around in the woods by his house where there aren't any hunters! He doesn't wander far now, but who knows what he'll do once he's off the milk!

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
You just came back from Northern Michigan? Lucky you. I live here, yuck. It's beautiful, but boring as all hell. In my town anyway.

Anyway, I've already talked to you, but welcome! And that deer is adorable. Our neighbour had a baby deer for awhile because it was abandoned and hurt - it died though
He actually saves quite a few deer, it's awesome.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep. Not the U.P.... but I was up in Charlevoix... I don't know if you know where that is... but I loved it. I think wherever you live is boring as hell! lol. I live outside of NYC and I get bored all the time.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Hello RC! Welcome to VB!

<--------

I think we will get along just fine!

Tell me, does your friend have any exerience in keeping Deer? Also, what kind of Deer is he? looks like whitetail from here, but I'm no expert.

Not that it means much (from me), but tell your friend that he is doing Magniticent work for the wonderful Creature!

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rabid_child

Yep. Not the U.P.... but I was up in Charlevoix... I don't know if you know where that is... but I loved it. I think wherever you live is boring as hell! lol. I live outside of NYC and I get bored all the time.
I live in the lower penninsula too...Charlevoix, I've heard of it, probably been there, lol. I like it here too, though the best place to hang out is WalMart
. And it's really hard to find veg food.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Hi Megan, welcome to VB

Megan the Vegan is acctually a comic in the Vegan.

(magazine of the vegan society in england)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts