VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! My name is Laura, and I'm 15. I joined this board, because I want to become a healthier person.

When I was 9 years old, coming back from vacation with my Aunt, Uncle, and 2 cousins, we were hit by a drunk driver, and now I am left paralyzed from the waist down, and in a wheelchair.

So it is very diffcult for me to lose weight. I cannot exercise properly, so a healthy diet is one sure way of helping to lose weight.

I would definetly say that I am an emotional eater. Eating usually comforts my depression, and most of the time I feel like a more whole person when I eat constantly.

I am not yet a vegetarien, but I'm really going to make it a goal of mine. So I've joined this board for support. I'm a very picky eater, and I need LOTS of motivation to be able to keep this up. Because I am in absolute *LOVE* with meat lol, and it's gonna be hard for me to give it up.

So I just wanted to introduce myself, and warn you before hand, that I'll do a lot of whining about wanting to eat meat!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I hope we can help you out. I'm vegan for reasons having nothing to do with health, but many people here have dealt with weight issues, so I'm sure you'll find lots of support.

Best wishes to you, and welcome.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Hi beautiful fire, Welcome to VB

Do you use medication for your depression ?

Because medication use can also give you extra weight.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I lost 140 lbs once i went vegan..i weigh a 170 lbs now..you do the math .....I did lose some weight while i was a vegetarian, I would like to make a recommendation based on my experience:

Make Sure You Get Enough Protein.

I lost much of my muscle mass and i wish that i had listened to everyone when they warned me about this.

i am now a bony person with a stretched out body ...

from being overweight for so long.

eating enough protein will help to ensure that you maintain your current muscle mass and also will make you look much healthier (and of course will you also be healthier)

just my advice, good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hi, Laura, I just love your online name! Does it have a special meaning? Fires are beautiful, aren't they?

Welcome.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hello Beautiful Fire!

Awesome to have you on the boards! I don't trully remember what meat tastes like but I'm sure people will be able to give you enough different food ideas to make it much easier for you to stick to your decisions to eat healthier. The people here are really fantastic I'm sure you'll have fun getting to know everyone. Take care

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Strix

Hi, Laura, I just love your online name! Does it have a special meaning? Fires are beautiful, aren't they?

Welcome.
Well actually it originated from Natalie Imbruglia's song "Beauty on the Fire". And I thought to myself and realized that I was a Beautiful Fire. I am full of anger, envy, and histeria, and at the same time I am a beautiful person, and I love those close to me. So it's just like a fire. They're raging with anger, but the colors and heat are beautiful.

1vegan - I have Paxil that I should be taking, but I never do.
So I don't think that contributes to weight gain.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes, and I appreciate all the support and look forward to getting know you all better!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Hi Laura!

My daughter (the Anti-Vegan) is 15 also. When I see other teens going the "veggie way" it gives me hope for her

Good for you to make a veggie way of life your goal!

This is a good place to gain support and knowledge - Welcome.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I too love your online name, and the significance of it to you. The Health and Nutrition board will have a lot of useful information for you. There is also an ongoing thread there where people who are dealing with all kinds of emotional issues give each other support and advice.

A long time ago, I used to think that I would have a hard time going veggie, because I really enjoy food, and a variety of food. When I did go veggie, I did it for ethical reasons, so it wasn't difficult for me at all. But it did have an unexpected bonus--I found a whole new world of interesting foods that I had never thought of when I was eating meat. The same thing happened when I stopped eating dairy and eggs--my food horizons expanded even further. Omnis generally think of that veg*ns are limited food-wise, when exactly the opposite is true. Because we don't rely on meat, we generally experiment more, and eat lots of different, wonderful foods. It really does help if you cook, though. You should also spend time on the food and recipe forum.

Welcome, and remember, you should feel free to pm any of us at any time.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Welcome Beautiful Fire!

No doubt you will find lots of support.

And I just wanted to comment, not all antidepressants cause weight gain. In particular, wellbutrin (bupropion) causes weight loss.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi beautiful fire!
What a lovely screen name. Concerning your weight issue, have you ever considered becoming a racer? It would give you a goal and the training would be awesome exercise for you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey there beautiful fire, I'm glad you're here! I think its awesome you decided to look for support before and as you begin a new lifestyle. i was so young when i decided to go veg that its taken me almost 8 years to actually find a veg*n community!! (I'm pretty new here too!) As i read through the posts, i noticed lotsa advice had already been given you that i'd considered, so i hope you really get involved in their suggestions. I still have some to offer though
You seem to have a strong reason to commit to vegetarianism, but let me warn you, the more you learn about the lifestyle, the more you'll love it, and discover so many more great reasons to reaffirm your decision. After awhile, you may even wonder why you ever enjoyed meat at all, so I hope things get easier with that struggle soon! Welcome, have fun, and enjoy the boards! Jamie

·
Registered
279 Posts
hey Beautiful fire! welcome.

I am trying to lost 20-30 lbs. I became vegan for ethical reasons, but unlike a lot of people, I didnt automatically experience weight loss. I was overeating. A friend of mine gave me a program for my Palm Pilot that calculate weight watcher points. Its really cool! Ive been trying that for two weeks, and its incredible how you learn what puts weight on, and what doesnt. Before, I was always eating natural foods and organic stuff. Vegan, etc. But i have learned from this program which things have very low points (like Boca Burgers), and which are very high (Potato and Onion Pierogies, etc). Its great because I still get to eat the things I like, but if I have pierogies for lunch, its Bocas for dinner. That way I am learning to balance my intake of calories, fat, and fiber each day. Its really quite cool. I'll let you know if it works!
I know you can order something online that similar to this thing, if you dont have the Palm Pilot program.

Anyhow, I'm not suggesting its good to be weight obsessed, but I mention it because you said you can't work out very much. My friend Dinora has lost a lot of weight healthily by doing this system. She does not work out at all, because she has Lupus and it puts stress on her joints. You learn to cut out too much juice, and sodas, drink more water, etc. So far, I've been impressed with it.

I wish you the best. You'll love it here. These boards are spectacular!

XOXOXO

Beth

1 - 19 of 19 Posts