VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that with my college ID, I can get into their gym/rec center for free! There's and indoor and an outdoor track, weight training stuff, and some other things (I haven't actually been there yet...).<br><br>
So here's where the question comes in: What are some fun things to do at a gym? I'm not huge on running, as I can never seem to breathe when I'm done..., and I've never done any weight stuff, so I'm a little leery of that (since it's an open gym, I don't think there will be any trainers. Also, since I'm 17, I won't be allowed to use those machines alone... but apparently, the people there never ask about age...). So... for those out there who have a gym membership, what are some things that I can do there besides running and weight training? Because I'm not gonna waste my gas (even though I only live 10 minutes away...) on a gym that I won't do anything at, when I can just continue to take my doggy on nice, long walks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I like to swim! You could try jogging if you're not comfortable running. Also, check out the type of mach. it has, like exercise bikes ect. Just walk around and see stuff that may interest you, go with some friends if you want! If you can't find anything fun there, and worried about the gas, just dont keep going..or walk there the first time.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I like to read while I exercise, so I use a recumbent (sitting in a fairly standard seat like a chair on top of the bike with the pedals out in front so that you legs are more horizontal than vertical) exercycle and reid that while reading. If you need to read for school, but don't need to take notes this is a great way to do that while you get your exercise. I've also been able read while on a stairmaster, but that isn't as easy for me.<br><br><br><br>
Some people I know like rowing machines for their workouts.<br><br><br><br>
I think the biggest benefit to having a gym to go to is being able to exercise when the weather isn't good for outdoor activities.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Those stair step machines are said to be really good. Maybe you can ask around and get a gym buddy who is slightly older and then do the weight lifting. walking the dog is good leg exersise, but most women lack upper body exersise.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
rowing machines are my absoloute favourite. I stopped going to the gym because I felt I wasn't getting my money's worth when solely using the rowing machine, but if I could get in free I would be on the rowing machine all the time. Rowing machine!

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the gym offers group exercise classes, you might want to check them out. I generally prefer to exercise alone, but going to an occasional spinning class is always a nice change. Also, if your gym offers yoga classes, you might want to try it out. In general, I recommend trying a little bit of everything until you find something that you like. If you don't enjoy it, you won't stick with it. Have fun!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I really like exercise classes as well: its pretty much the only thing that I regularly attend at my gym. I occasionally use the cross trainer too, but I find plodding away all by myself much less fun: I have made lots of friends at my exercise classes, and I love the sociability of working out with a group.<br><br><br><br>
If you can find a good exercise book though (perhaps other people have recommendations: I use a regime put together by one of the trainers), the weights machines are really good too. Its the one thing that I really feel you don't get outside a gym, and building up a little bit of muscle is good for all kinds of reasons (you burn more calories even when you aren't exercising, you look better, you drastically reduce your chances of osteoporosis, and you surprise people who think veg*ans are puny weaklings!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts