VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Katie and I have recently become a vegetarian. I have been thinking about it for a long time and I finally took the jump. My family does not support it, so it is difficult. Anyways I would like any advice on eating out. My boyfriend keeps on taking me out and I can only ever get a boring salad. He is not a vegetarian and does not understand it. Also if you know of any great recipes I would love to hear about them, the best veggie burgers, adn so on. Also I am looking for the best multi-vitamin so that I get enough rion and protien. I do not want to become anemic again. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as eating out sometimes it can be tough. A lot of the main dishes have meat in them. Often though there's a pasta dish without meat or you can ask for no meat on a particular item. Keep up with it!! My family does not support me being vegetarian (and trying to become vegan) either. It makes it tough but that's why these online sources are so great - such good support. As far as the multivitamin - I personally need to do more research on that. I've always taken Centrum multivitamin but I'm sure some of it is animal based and I'd prefer it not to be. As long as you're eating a wide variety of foods and including lots of nutritious foods (fruit, vegetables, beans, nuts, whole grains) it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Soy is excellent too!

11,550 Posts
congratulations on going veggie!

if you're eating at bigger or chain restaurants, maybe you could think about looking on their websites, to see who has what thats ok for you to eat. lots of the sites list ingredients and allergens and mark things that are vegetarian- and you could email them too, if you're not sure about whats ok for you.

knowing who has what, means you can steer your bf to restaurants that have more than just salad, and also sometimes its easier to work out what you can eat, if you're not trying to do it in when you're already there and hungry!

you could also think about explaining to the server that you can't eat some things, and then asking if you can special order. you could get say... the wild rice from the salmon dish, and the roasted veggies from the steak dish, and some garlic bread and a teeny salad (but with some olives or strawberries or nuts or something to liven it up, nicked from another dish) and voila: proper dinner!

don't be afraid to ask questions about whats in things, (like if the stock in the soup is chicken or beef or veggie) its part of the servers job to help you, and if he/she does a good job, thank them with a nice big tip, and they'll be keep being helpful to other veggies they deal with.

do you like ethnic food? lots of indian and asian and middle eastern restaurants have veggie options- if you're only used to western foods, it'd give you the chance to try new exciting things- i've found loads of new yummy things since i started trying new types of food from round the world!

also, you could look on the happy cow website, http://www.happycow.net/ to see what veggie restaurants are near you. ask your boyfriend to be brave and go check one out with you- he might find things he already eats but didn't realise were already veggie (like bean burritos, falafels, or chips and dips) and even if he doesn't like anything they have, he'd be making you feel special and cared about- and maybe he'd start to understand how you feel in non-veggie friendly places.

we have a recipes section on this board, filled with loads of yummy things. i like www.vegweb.com too.

check out the ' Tip of the Day' thread in the 'new to vegetarianism' forum, for lots of helpful general info. i bet there is a big section on iron and protein in there too

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=50249

·
Registered
79 Posts
My advice would be to spend some time sifting through the post here on the forum. Don't just look at the first couple threads there is page after page of information filled posts. And may I also say, Hello and Welcome.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Where do you eat that you can only get a salad? McDonald's? Almost all restaurants have at least one vegetarian option and many have several.

The best thing would be to expand your horizons. Most ethnic restaurants are very vegetarian-friendly - Mexican, Italian, Indian, Thai, Chinese, etc.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Where do you eat that you can only get a salad? McDonald's? Almost all restaurants have at least one vegetarian option and many have several.

The best thing would be to expand your horizons. Most ethnic restaurants are very vegetarian-friendly - Mexican, Italian, Indian, Thai, Chinese, etc.
i agree. but question about the italian. are you suggesting that most italian restaurants will substitute a meat sauce for a meatless sauce, or that you've been to italian restaurants with actual prepared vegetarian dishes?

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Yeah, meatless sauce. Some dishes come that way - spaghetti, cheese ravioli, fettucini alfredo, etc. So I consider those vegetarian dishes, not just dishes without meat sauce.

And Katie, if you're having trouble finding something other than a salad you might want to ask the server. Maybe they can point something out. Some things on the menu can be made vegetarian by leaving the meat off (chicken quesadillas, etc) so you might want to look for that too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Although most restaurants list all of their salad ingredients on the menu - I have been served salads with bacon bits that were not mentioned. So now I ask whenever I eat at a new place. I have found that when dining at restaurants with limited meatless entries - putting together several side dishes can make for an interesting meal. Don't be afraid to ask - my favorite Asian restaurant usually serves a bread/cracker made with a fish broth - but now knows to bring the vegerarian version whenever I go there with friends.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
IMO, the best multivitamin is the one you're going to remember to take every day. It could be the best one in the world, but if it's too big for you to swallow, it's useless.

Protein is not included in vitamins/pills. Your best bet for a balanced diet is eating adequate calories of assorted healthy foods. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts