VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently learned that IAMS is guilty of cruelty to cats and dogs during testing of their petfood products. Unfortunately, it's one of the only ones I've heard of that has decent nutition for cats. I am NOT interested in giving my cat a vegetarian/vegan diet, because I do not agree that it is okay for cats. I strongly believe cats should be given natural meat products. But I am looking for a decent cat food that is not tested in these horrible conditions. Does anyone know of a good one? I live in the Minneapolis area.

Thank you!

B4S.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I think they'd all be tested on animals in one way or another, since the animals are eating it... it's probably just a matter of how it's tested..

Wysong makes all natural cat foods.. and human foods... I don't know what their testing practices are though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wysong says on its web site that rather than test according to AAFCO procedures, which is on young animals in a lab setting, they test their new formulations by feeding them to their own animals, presumably of varying ages.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm. My mom gave me this link: http://www.caringconsumer.com/resources_foodguide.asp

which is a list of companies that have specifically responded that they do not test in a cruel way. It seems though that in order to get these kinds, I'd have to order it online and have it shipped.
I would much rather just go buy it so I could actually read the package and save on shipping. How would you guys approach this? I wonder if I should just call around to organic food stores around here like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Can you ask your local pet food store to order it in? Mine will order in food by special request.

·
Registered
797 Posts
From Wysong's website:

13. Q: Do you do laboratory research on animals?

A: No. We believe that caging animals for studies is unnecessary. When we want to gather data, we ask for help from real pets in real homes and use veterinary clinical consultants across the country. Nobody gets hurt.

http://www.wysong.net/wysongfaq.shtml

I believe they are on PETA's list of companies which signed their animal testing pledge, but I'm not 100% on that.

I've contacted Solid Gold personally and they claim their non-invasive tests are conducted on pets in their normal home situations too - but PETA told me they refused to sign aforementioned pledge, so I dunno.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChicken View Post

From Wysong's website:

13. Q: Do you do laboratory research on animals?

A: No. We believe that caging animals for studies is unnecessary. When we want to gather data, we ask for help from real pets in real homes and use veterinary clinical consultants across the country. Nobody gets hurt.

http://www.wysong.net/wysongfaq.shtml

I believe they are on PETA's list of companies which signed their animal testing pledge, but I'm not 100% on that.

I've contacted Solid Gold personally and they claim their non-invasive tests are conducted on pets in their normal home situations too - but PETA told me they refused to sign aforementioned pledge, so I dunno.
Yes, Wysong is on Peta's list (below). I give my cats Wysong, they love it and they are senior kitties and have lots of energy.

http://www.iamscruelty.com/notTested.asp

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ooo! I went to the Wysong site and through their outlets site, I was able to put my zip code in and they came up with a result - Chuck and Don's Pet Food Outlet which has many locations throughout the Minneapolis/St.Paul area. Yay! Their site looks good, it looks like their company is a small regional chain that stocks great holistic products. They don't stock 100% good ones though, Iams is on their list, but they have plenty of products that are on the Caring Consumer list my mom pointed me to. I'm feeling optimistic. I plan to investigate this store as a possible new alternative to the PetSmart big-box store chain I've normally been frequenting. Maybe I can buy several small samples of different non-lab-testing/holistic ones and see which one my kitty likes best.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
as with any new food, you should slowly wean your cats onto it by mixing gradually more amounts of the new food into the old food until they're 100% new food. This could take a week or more. Switching foods suddenly can cause digestive problems.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've been buying from http://www.nlpp.com/ for my dog. i found it sold in a store about 20 mins away, but it's not that big a deal since i go there for my vegan margarine anyhow

i tried feeding him some vegan stuff but it was soy based and upset his belly

oh looks like the site is down. but that's the company anyhow

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
So it's ok to torture animals to sustain your pet. But it's not ok to torture animals to... sustain your pet?

I guess I just don't understand the difference. Perhaps someone could explain it for me?

I'm not being hostile, I would just like to understand this line of thinking.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

So it's ok to torture animals to sustain your pet. But it's not ok to torture animals to... sustain your pet?

I guess I just don't understand the difference. Perhaps someone could explain it for me?

I'm not being hostile, I would just like to understand this line of thinking.
Are you asking why it's ok to feed your cat meat based pet food, but not products which have been tested on animals?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts