VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried emailing Wonder bread to find this out, but I have never gotten a response.

Do any of you know if Wonder hamburger and hotdog buns are vegan? I've been buying buns from WildOats until I found out for sure, but wow that gets expensive with all the Tofupups and Boca Vegan Burgers eaten at this house.

I am figuring that if Wonder buns aren't vegan, that I'll buy a bread machine and see about figuring out a way to make this stuff my self.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wonder bread.. and any other plain white breads for that matter.. are not the best choice anyways. They have bleached, refined flour, processed sugars and other not so healthly ingredients. At least you are being honest about being too lazy to read the side of the packages!

There are plenty of whole wheat buns, bagels, breads and rolls out there that would be a healthier choice for your family.. and I think they taste better too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, guys, I think I didn't say something right..........

I, unfortunatley, did read the label on the wonder bread buns. (I was meaning that I am too lazy to call Wonder and go thru all that if someone else already did!) The only suspect ingredient on the varieties in question is riboflavin.... which I understand can be of a few origins, including animal. So when I emailed Wonder bread to find out, they never responded to me...... so I was hoping that someone here may have had better luck, or may have known from some other experinece with this company!

As far as the white vs. wheat argument, I can sometimes get my husband to eat wheat breads... but when it comes to a "burger" type of thing he really wants white. So I kinda pick and choose my battles, especially since he used to be a big time die-hard carnivore (not omni! carnivore!!), and is now vegan for me. I don't want to push him away from veganism by making him think he has to "give up everything"..... so even though I know it's not very healthy for him, I don't hassle him on that issue.

I wish we had a Trader Joe's! I have to drive over two hours just to get to Wild Oats (in Arkansas there are not alot of choices) and that is the closest health food store that is anything other than a vitamin shop.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, tho, I appreciate it!
Everyone here is always so helpful; hubby and I would have never made it this far without all of your support!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hey, let me tell you guys something - my 5 year old is pretty much vegetarian, and says that she is going to go Vegan. She LOVES white bread, and, according to the ingredients listed, most are vegan (from what I can tell). The best part is that most of the white breads are calcium fortified, and when you have child as active as mine, that doesn't like milk, cheese, soy milk, etc, seeing something that says calcium is a blessing. I don't eat white bread myself (love the Ezekiel breads), but if she'll eat it, I'll buy it.

She'll also eat a softer whole wheat, but those usually aren't calcium fortified (she won't drink OJ, so please don't mention it), and she really loves the white stuff. As rosment said, you really have to pick you battles when it comes to your children and your spouse.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I wouldn't rule out buying a bread machine and making your own stuff. It's the best way I know of for making sure that your bread is vegan AND good at the same time and who can resist the smell of bread baking in an oven.....?

·
Registered
0 Posts
i once saw a woman on a craft show use tow slices of white bread (no crusts), in a zip loc, add two tablespoons of white glue and mush it all up. when the bread had full absorbed the glue, the bread feels drier to the touch. you roll it, and play with it till it's play doh. u can add food coloring to make it different colors. then she used it just like regular air dry-clay. we used that for crafts once and it worked great. we made minitaure roses and laqured them. they look just like clay made ones. when i was a kid i mushed up white bread into a ball all the time. when i told a friend about the clay, and then she recalled how she also used to "play with her white bread," because it's so doughy, she said she could no longer give her kids white. she would think of this big lump of dough they had to digest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.