VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a friend's house yesterday. Let's call her Ms. A. Ms. B was also there, and we were sitting at the dining room table, having either two-way or three-way conversations. Ms. A was constantly getting up and leaving the room to do certain things, then coming back, then leaving, coming back, etc.

She came back in and sat down with a loosleaf-binder notebook, on top of which was a self-rolled cigarette.

"I'm going to smoke a joint," she announced.

This resulted in various giggling. And an inquiry from me as to why she had made that announcement. "Now I can't tell the police that I thought you were just smoking some home-grown tobacco mixed with some cinnamon or something," I joked.

Next, Ms. A teased me by saying, "Oh, I'll bet Joe Shedlock has never smoked pot!" Said as though I were too prudish or priggish to have ever done such a thing.

I told her that I had smoked pot a little years ago when I was in school. But because I am not a tobacco smoker, it gave me a sore throat. And the "buzz" was not that great, at least not in my experience. So I didn't smoke it after leaving school.

Ms. B. chimed in that she too had smoked pot in the past.

I guess I left puzzled by why she made that verbal announcement. Was it to allow me or Ms. B to leave if we did not want to be connected with an "illegal" activity? Or leave the room if we were "bothered" by smoke?

I was also puzzled by why she thought I was such a "goody two-shoes."

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
also, it may have been a kind of passive/indirect invitation to join her. believe me, when a potsmoker hears another potsmoker say, "i'm going to smoke a joint", they usually chime in with something like, "oh boy!" or "gonna share?" or "don't bogart that spliff, baby!"

having never met you, i can't really comment on why she may have thought you are a goody two shoes. do you look like a narc?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I always wondered about a former lady I worked with, our "l.o.", the one that used to bring her kid to work at night and lock him in the bathroom. I always felt bad for the 4 yr old boy. He sat in the bathroom all night while his Mom was supposing to be working. I'f Mike and I didn't find her sleeping her car, she was out smoking, and for all I know "doing" the security guard named Bernie. I think she was smoking something stronger than cigs...her eyes were always bugging out and drank water and tea obsessively(like 2 gallons in an 8 hour shift). THat was a strange lady indeed.

Mike, didn't we dump something in her work locker one night,,,,food or coffee??

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm more puzzled by why anyone thinks they are being all that bad by smoking pot anyway.

I've tried it once or twice and I was never enthralled with it, so that was the end of that story. But I never saw it as some cliff-hanging, bombs exploding, orgasmic speeding car-chase act of rebellion.

It just seemed like a boring way to spend an afternoon, to me.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I wouldn't whip out a bong/joint in front of possibly mixed company. I wouldn't do that in front of people unless I knew they were comfortable with it, or maybe not unless I thought they would join me. What's the fun in doing it alone? To me, part of its charm is its social ritual. I find it to be a real bonding experience. I have some positive opinions about it, but I don't do it right now.

The person probably teased you Joe, bc it highlighted her contrasting "rebelliousness" thereby adding to her thrill.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Every third person I meet lately is smoking dope, it's no big deal. It makes the kids giggle a lot, it loosens some people up for sex and like booze, gives them an excuse to have fun. If you want to meditate it'll be a different experience. I used to like it when I was a teenager. Now it would send me to sleep. I think Ms A was teasing you- does she fancy you?

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by spud

Ms A was teasing you- does she fancy you?
Ha, ha! I really don't know. I think she is very attractive, but this makes it very hard for me to judge objectively what her feelings toward me might be. You know, wishful thinking and all that. I know very little about her personal life. Whenever I see her, she is always surrounded by other people, so there is little or no opportunity to talk about more personal things.

She is a very important person in the veg*n community in Nashville, and is supportive of continuing EarthSave here. She has been helping us find a place to meet. I will continue to need her help and support. So I really don't want to risk alienating her by possibly misinterpreting what may simply be "friendly" gestures on her part.

I have many reasons to be in contact with her, so I am sure I will get to know her better gradually as time goes on. And if there is a personal interest there, it might be appropriate to pursue it once I get to know more about her.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
I got offered some weed this weekend - I didn't partake. Just never been my thing, y'know?

I like my alchohol (probably a little too much), but the other stuff seems like bad news.

I did smoke a pack of Camels this weekend. (possibly more - reports vary.)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i'd say she was doing it for attention, or yeah to look badassed. like "ooooooh look at me, i'm smoking up, i'm soooo bad, ooooh"

if someone announced that to me i honestly would have said "ok" and then continued on with whatever conversation i'd been having with Ms. B

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.