VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, all my coworkers in the office know I don't eat meat (I've been veg*n for a little over a year) and they all know I love animals. However, as it's now getting colder, I've been wearing jackets and coats that are made of animal products (e.g. down, leather...). I've had these coats for quite a while...it's not like I bought them in the last year. They are not fur coats... I'm reluctant to throw them away or even give them away because they cost quite a bit when they were bought and I don't want to replace them now. I figured I'd just try to buy clothes with no animal products in them from now on...but sometimes I find they are not always readily available.

So lately, my coworkers have been criticizing me for wearing these coats with animal ingredients. It makes me feel hypocritical, but I just think that sometimes, it's not always possible to eliminate all animal products just because they are used in So Many different commercial items.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Omnis (as well as veg*n police) often try and make people feel like they aren't doing enough. I agree that it isn't in my budget to get rid of all animal products that I already have. I have a leather purse. And some other animal product items. I won't buy anymore, so I plan to use them until they wear out. Don't let these people bring you down. Do what you can do and feel good about the changes you have made!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
If you got them before you went veg*n, I don't think you should have to toss them. They've already been bought so you may as well use them until they've outlived their usefulness, IMO.
Are these people who are criticizing you veg*n themselves? If they aren't, they're the ones being hypocrites.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
437 Posts
Some of my coworkers gave me flack for the same reason recently. Sorry
It's no fun to feel singled out. I just looked at them and said, "I got this (jacket, whatever) long before I was a vegetarian. It's still good, and the people who got my money for it won't lose it if I throw the coat away."

Just keep it short and walk away if they badger you. It's not hypocritical to not want to waste your money. You're not CONTINUING to support those industries, and that's what matters. Personally, I think it makes perfect sense. Just point it out, smile and move on. If they continue to bug you, they're just being immature and trying to provoke a reaction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Reddtail View Post

If you got them before you went veg*n, I don't think you should have to toss them. They've already been bought so you may as well use them until they've outlived their usefulness, IMO.
Are these people who are criticizing you veg*n themselves? If they aren't, they're the ones being hypocrites.
No, none of them are veg*ns. They said that they never claim to care about animals (I have been urging them to eat less animals). So they said since I am the one who claimed to care about animals, they questioned why I still wear those coats with leather and down in them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Hoping for the approval of others is a direct path to disappointment regardless of your lifestyle. Do what you feel is right, and understand that there will always be people who disapprove.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
I ride motorcycles and have biker leather. When someone feels the need to make a comment I simply say: "Mind your own fu**in business". That usually takes care of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

I ride motorcycles and have biker leather. When someone feels the need to make a comment I simply say: "Mind your own fu**in business". That usually takes care of it.
I love that.....awesome
......My Sweetie and I Ride too....Ride Free
....I agree about wearing the stuff out and not buying anymore.....what exactly is enough? its a personal choice for everyone and do whatever you are comfy with and be hippie with that
...

Peace
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneet View Post

No, none of them are veg*ns. They said that they never claim to care about animals (I have been urging them to eat less animals). So they said since I am the one who claimed to care about animals, they questioned why I still wear those coats with leather and down in them.
I think we have our explanation for why your coworkers have been criticizing you right here. You are urging them to eat less animals and that makes them feel defensive because they don't share your view point. From their perspective they are just doing what is considered normal and eating and wearing animals, and you're encouraging them to eat less animals because you care about them but they see that you are still wearing their skins so it's understandably confusing and would seem hypocritical to them. I would just lead by example from now on and keep on keeping on. If you don't question their dietary choices anymore they will eventually lose interest.

If they see that you are healthy and happy and eat tasty food at lunch that will make a great case for vegetarianism all on its own


Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

Why do you see fur as being worse than leather? Its all animal skin involving the same amount of cruelty.

if you choose to wear animal products, you have to learn to explain yourself and where you are wrt your vegetarianism, or ignore it, don't let it bother you.
People who eat animals are not being hypocrites in these situations because they are not claiming to be anything other than what they are, they are just noticing the moral flaws in the logic of some vegetarians. I would say that they are being a bit annoying but not hypocritical.
I agree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
I still have sneakers that have leather in them and people harass me all the time about it. The animal was already killed along time ago and i already paid for them. Throwing them away unfortunatly wont bring the animal back. And who wants my old shoes anyways? I might as well use them because no one wants my stinky old sneakers. Throwing them away is just waste. And like everyone else said i just dont buy anymore shoes with animal products.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Seriously, here's my thinking. Some folks just want to jam some bullcrap up your ass. It could be about a leather coat, a shoe, a vacation or a painting of a spotted dog. I'm just not going to fight that battle. An F-you works just as good.

With that said, if a person is genuinely interested in a conversation, I'm totally down with that. Being lured into an argument is another thing entirely. They want to take your convictions and make you fight for them. They don't have the right. That's why when it becomes clear that this is more about proficiency at distance peeing I just toss em a "Go take a running F**k at a rollin doughnut". There's no point in the argument.
 

·
Riot Nrrrd
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
Quote:
they are just noticing the moral flaws in the logic of some vegetarians
How exactly does throwing out items purchased prior to deciding not to purchase new animal skin items constitute a logical flaw? In fact you have it exactly backwords. Keeping an item previously purchased has ZERO effect on either critters or the environment. A new item, even a vegan item, will definitely have at least minor effects through both the manufacture and transportation of said new item. If one is intending to reduce or minimize potential negatives, you pick the zero cost option, not the non-zero (but small) cost item. Non-zero>zero is logically true.

But this exact same conversation pops up on a fairly regular basis. And here it is again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Some omnis are just always looking for a way to catch veg*ns out, or to feel as though they are. I don't think many of them really think about it, or else (hopefully) more of them would be veggie themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneet View Post

I figured I'd just try to buy clothes with no animal products in them from now on
Why don't you say that when they criticise you and the conversation will be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

I'm just not going to fight that battle. An F-you works just as good.
Yeah right, I can see that working for her when she's stuck with them 8 hours a day
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

Yeah right, I can see that working for her when she's stuck with them 8 hours a day
I do see your point. I spent 30 years in heavily male dominated, military and para military, organizations. The occasional "Get fu**ed" was just part of the landscape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I would just give urself a look over... then once u realize that u no longer eat meat and are healthier than ur co workers then u will have a great time... ( doesnt always work but give it time)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

Why don't you say that when they criticise you and the conversation will be done.
So innocent!

The "ah! but .." conversation never ends.

I have actualy had people go so far as "ah! but, but YOU still kill bacteria whenever you bathe".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
"I bought these items before going vegetarian, wearing them now does nothing to contribute to more animal cruelty. What are you, the vegetarian police?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I personally don't waer or buy any animal products. When I became vegan 16 years ago I gave way all of my leather clothes/shoes to charity, then stuck to that when I became vego 10 years after (6 yrs ago). However in saying that I truely believe everyone is entitled to do and wear what they want regardless of if they are vego or not. If you want to keep wearing your leathers and furs, than do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneet View Post

OK, all my coworkers in the office know I don't eat meat (I've been veg*n for a little over a year) and they all know I love animals. However, as it's now getting colder, I've been wearing jackets and coats that are made of animal products (e.g. down, leather...). I've had these coats for quite a while...it's not like I bought them in the last year. They are not fur coats... I'm reluctant to throw them away or even give them away because they cost quite a bit when they were bought and I don't want to replace them now. I figured I'd just try to buy clothes with no animal products in them from now on...but sometimes I find they are not always readily available.

So lately, my coworkers have been criticizing me for wearing these coats with animal ingredients. It makes me feel hypocritical, but I just think that sometimes, it's not always possible to eliminate all animal products just because they are used in So Many different commercial items.
Many people have a strange idea of what constitutes hypocrisy. Those same people criticising you are very likely against child labor and slavery yet I'm sure even if they vow to buy only items that are not produced by child labor, I doubt they rid their entire households of all items they owned previously to learning about the issues. In fact, most people who care about that issue restrict their conscientious consumption to only a few things like fair trade, organic chocolate and cotton. But the truth is, most of those people just say they're against child labor and slavery but don't do much themselves to change things. They just sit back and expect governments to change. Yet they don't see their own inaction as hypocrisy.

Point is, either you're trying to be a better person or you're not. The people calling other people "hypocrites" are usually the ones who are not trying to become better people.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top