VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,<br><br><br><br>
I never really ventured into the healthy side of eating before. I don't got too much of an ethical reason to turn to vegetables, well, sort of... but I mainly did it because I am sick and tired of getting so dang huge. I walk a lot but it seems like it just keeps packing on.<br><br><br><br>
I need to cut out calories and basically the meats I see have huge amounts of it and other saturated fats which, I'm advised to stay away or avoid it as much as possible.<br><br><br><br>
I would like to know what are some good veggie ideas for breakfast? I'm also told to stay away from glycemic indexes (sp).. which would mean bread, right?<br><br><br><br>
Bah... Its gonna be hard to start this.<br><br><br><br>
Eric

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi Eric,<br><br>
I replied to your other thread then noticed this one. I suggested a PM if you want, and can help you make meal plans if you would like, as your questions are more specific.<br><br><br><br>
Regarding "GI", simple carbohydrates (think: 'white' (white sugar, white bread, white rice, and so forth) are high GI, whereas complex (whole grains, many vegetables and fruits) are lower. The high GI absorb into your blood stream quicker, raising blood sugar, triggering cravings, and so on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Eat smaller healthier meals more often (it will kick start your metabolism) keep up the walking.<br><br><br><br>
Keep something like dried fruit to chew on in between meals (dried apricot and apple are great).<br><br><br><br>
Try and eat stuff that you still like thats healthier or you'll lose motivation, maybe even try new stuff and find things you like then try and eat those.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
You might like scrambled tofu with chopped mushrooms and bell peppers for breakfast (which is great topped with ketchup). Have a fruit with it if you need something more, an apple, a banana, an orange, etc.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
As far as the glycemic index is concerned, whole grains are always better than white; sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes. Avoid sugar.<br><br><br><br>
Tofu can be your friend in that it's very filling. Just don't get tempted to eat the entire carton as I do sometimes.<br><br><br><br>
Another thing is, if you're wanting to lose weight, be sure you're getting plenty of exercise. Run, bike, treadmill, etc.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Well going veg can really help with weight loss, but only if you replace those high fat meats with low fat alternatives, like tofu, beans, tempeh and seitan. Be careful not to replace meat with cheese which is actually higher calorie.<br><br><br><br>
For breakfast, I love oatmeal, either making your own or nature's path oatmeal, and a piece of fruit like a pear or a banana.<br><br><br><br>
Toast with a nut butter and Jam with a piece of fruit or a smoothie is another favorite of mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts