VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! According to the log, I wasn't gone very long, but it felt like months! Anyway, I am married and got knocked up on New Year's Eve. (I think that makes this my 8th week) I haven't been very happy about this, since I didn't want children, but I can't bear the thought of taking away an innocent life, and there are already too many unwanted children for adoption. So, more recently I've been warming up to the idea of having a parasite-like life form in my belly for almost a year.

Cravings are killing me. Last week, all I could think about was KFC popcorn chicken, so I forced myself to stare at the Peta materials about them until I lost my appetite. At least this week I am craving plums. Mmm, fruit.

Is anybody else sharing a body right now?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I hope I'm not!!! Very well could be though... my body's been acting weird and everything.. took a test a few weeks ago & it was negative, but there's still a chance I am (which would suck, for many reasons) I don't want to share my body right now... which is what got me in this in the first place! (haha, had to throw in "humor") I decided I'll take another test after this coming wkend (don't want to ruin my b-day if I am) Blah blah I could go on... don't worry, I won't though.

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck & I'm glad you're warming up to the idea.. after all, what choice do you have, ya know? So good to know you're making the best of the situation, and keep us all updated! And of course, congrats!-even though it's not what you wanted... (BTW, the craving of KFC reminds me of Phoebe on Friends!!!)

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Congrats! afaik, I'm not pregnant, but I am getting really baby itchy lately, which is not appropriate considering I'm getting a couple degrees atm, and not married... anyway, I hope this turns out to be a positive experience for you. Maybe you could make some popcorn tofu? Don't know how you'd do that... maybe cornflake crumbs on tofu and fry it and dip it in ketchup? mm greasy.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Me me! I'm 5 months right now. I haven't craved meat at all thankfully, but I'm veg not vegan, so I've been able to indulge in various dairy products. I actually havent really craved any foods at all, I want to credit that to a healthy diet but who knows, lol. Make sure you are taking folic acid. Let me know if you want any pregnancy nutrition advice - you need about 70 grams of protein a day now, which can be tough depending. check out www.babyfit.com, which can total up your nutrients for you. It was reassuring at first when I was worried about my protein intake and I found I'm getting enough. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add me to the preggo list! My name is Faith and this is my first post on this board. I just found out I was preg with baby #2 this weekend. Had my first ob visit today-- baby is 7 weeks and due on Oct. 12. It will be nice talking to all of you about nourishing ourselves and our babies during our pregnancies and beyond. But right now, the only thing my stomach seems to agree with is oranges. Weird, right? And how odd.....so many of us are feeling an odd lack of excitement about being preg right now....I mean, I'd love to have the baby...but I can't stand being pregnant. I'm as sick as a dog most of the time. I feel like a bloated pumpkin already. And I just don't want to spend the next several months feeling like my body has been taken over by an alien life force. (We've already named this kid "The Phantom Menace." THAT'S how sick I've been.) Oh well. Well all get past these feelings eventually.

Faith

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
my local chinese joint offers some great 'fried chicken' dishes that are mock meat and very good. whenever i get a craving (and i'm not pregnant) for something 'kfc' like, i go there. i bring it home, make mashed potatoes and gravy, some cole slaw, and some biscuits. and then, i over indulge. but it's all veg. in fact, that meal is vegan.

so, there are options out there. try an asian market if the asian restaurants around you don't have mock meats. i'm lucky as there is a vegan chinese restaurant near me, so i can get all sorts of tastey things when i have a craving for a certain flavor.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

my local chinese joint offers some great 'fried chicken' dishes that are mock meat and very good. whenever i get a craving (and i'm not pregnant) for something 'kfc' like, i go there. i bring it home, make mashed potatoes and gravy, some cole slaw, and some biscuits. and then, i over indulge. but it's all veg. in fact, that meal is vegan.

so, there are options out there. try an asian market if the asian restaurants around you don't have mock meats. i'm lucky as there is a vegan chinese restaurant near me, so i can get all sorts of tastey things when i have a craving for a certain flavor.
Zoebird, I have a fantastic Asian restaurant that also offers a whole array of veggie-meats, in fact, you can order pretty much anything on the menu with the veggie version. They have these veggie fried chicken things which are heavenly!

evilvegan - congrats on the pregnancy. Glad you are warming up to the idea. I'm not pregnant, but I've been through pregnancy twice so if you need any insight or advice, I can help.
Do you have morning sickness? I am almost embarrassed to admit how many weeks I went eating little more than toasted WHITE bagels with toffutti cream cheese and apple juice with lots of ice. It was the only thing I could keep down. Luckily, once morning sickness passed I was able to eat a healthy diet again. I did have some pretty big cravings for chicken noodle soup. But you can make a pretty good veggie version by cooking noodles in a salty vegetable stock, and adding some slices of carrots and celery. Anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been very ill, but more recently I have been controlling what I eat more, and I have not been nearly as sick. Those darned refined sugars (I ate 1 cookie) make me vomit bile for days.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Awww, so sorry you have been sick evilvegan! And welcome to the boards, Faith!! The beginning is rough, but believe it or not, I found it helped my m/s MORE if I forced myself to eat more or less normal foods. Like, that yogurt sounds pretty unappealing, but as soon as it went down my throat, it was like heaven. Same thing for rice and beans. Wow, those were like the most comforting thing ever for my tummy when I was really really sick. I was sick with m/s till about 12 weeks - its rough but after that you're more than likely in the clear!!!

Here's an example of what I ate in my first weeks of pregnancy:

Bfast: a glass of organic milk or juice, 1/2 banana, slice of toast with organic margarine

snack: 4 oz yogurt

lunch: microwave burrito with apple(or)pear and yogurt (notice the yogurt theme? it was really good for me - and good source of protein, calcium and iodine to boot!) I had to do the burritos because I couldn't make sandwiches in the morning, the smell made me SOOOO sick!! Luckily they were pretty healthy!

Snack: some crackers/pretzels/potato chips and lowfat cheese, or cottage cheese with fruit

dinner: rice and beans, and a big organic salad with field greens, grape tomatoes, walnuts, balsamic vinegrette, etc.

Make SURE you are getting Omega 3's (DHA) every day! Walnuts/flaxseed/etc are a good source of ALA but its good to also get DHA every day.

I eat pretty similarly now, try to eat as healthy as I can. I often drink another glass of milk before bed to help with heartburn (my latest issue, lol.) It will all be worth it!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that all of us baby-noobs are gonna need a lot of support. At least this one. My family has been really supportive of my diet, but it's my OWN thoughts that are against it! I can't believe it. It's not that I think it's more nutritious by any means, just that all of my normal foods are so unappealing.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

I have been very ill, but more recently I have been controlling what I eat more, and I have not been nearly as sick. Those darned refined sugars (I ate 1 cookie) make me vomit bile for days.
that's so weird how all our bodies react differently to pregnancy. I was all about the refined foods when I was morning sick. Anything that was simple to digest made me feel better. More complex foods (like whole grains, salads, raw veggies, etc) - I just couldn't keep them down. I think it's great to eat a healthy diet during pregnancy, but there is a phase where you just need to eat what you can keep down. Your body has nutrient stores that will help "cover" you when you can't eat much. Don't worry, soon enough you'll be past the morning sick and have a voracious pregnancy appetite and you can make up for it!

My biggest tip for morning sickness: don't let your stomach get totally empty. Nibble on little snacks throughout the day. The minute you feel even a slight twinge of hunger, EAT something that appeals. If you wait and let that hunger grow, it will more than likely turn into nausea! At least that was my experience...

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree with colorful - eat, eat eat! The first few months, if you constantly nibble, you're less likely to get sick. That's how I gained 4lbs the first 3 months, lol, but it was worth it to throw up less!

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I was pg, I had to eat something every two hours, or I started to get sick. I ate a lot of cereal and fruit. I was just starting to get into vegetarianism then, and didn't have much conviction...so I caved to non-veg cravings a few times. I think I would try harder if/when I get pg again. Bleh.

Congrats to all the new mamas-to-be!

·
Registered
87 Posts
With both of my pregnancies I also found that constant snacking helped keep the morning sickness at bay. I ate things like soda crackers and drank ginger ale when I was really feeling sick. Mostly I just craved fruit, especially oranges and orange juice. I had no problems with those things, but the thought of anything else made me nauseous. During my 2nd pregnancy, I used to always give my daughter spinach nuggets, and those things started making me so sick I couldn't even walk by them at the store without feeling nauseous. Also, I was a nanny, and the kids used this hand soap that smelled so bad and made me so sick. Ah. Memories.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
oh, and i mentioned your situation (pregnant, but not necessarily wanting to be, etc) and she mentioned that a private adoption agency would make certain that your child was placed faster than the state--so if you do want to put your child up for adoption (that is, if you don't want to raise the child yourself) you should look into private adoption. you can talk to a family lawyer about it (that's very private) or a private adoption agency. in some cases, you get the choose the parents.

just an option.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congratulations evilvegan! And thanks for making a compassionate choice. Best of luck in whatever you decide...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Just curious... did anyone get Pregnancy Rhinitis?

(I was gonna start a new thread, but figured since this one is still active & symptoms are being talked about & it's a minor Q I'll just ask here)

And, as everyones said, congrats to the mommies to be!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts