VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just last year i was diagnosed with ADHD. I am now on a medication called "dexedrine" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexedrine Dexedrine makes my apetite go away. I don't eat as much as i do when i'm not on it. This has resulted in some weight loss. I was 100 pounds now i am about 95. Before i became vegetarian i was about 110. I've been veggie for 2 years.

I am naturally a petite size. I am 16 years old and look like i'm 12. Everyone is all of a sudden saying that i am too small. They call me anorexic on a daily basis. It's mostly my friends,boyfriend and brother. My parents tell me that i look fine. It's really starting to get to me.

How can i gain weight? Because i know that i am underweight right now. Being vegetarian and trying to gain weight can be a bit tricky can't it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieweggie123 View Post

Just last year i was diagnosed with ADHD. I am now on a medication called "dexedrine" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexedrine Dexedrine makes my apetite go away. I don't eat as much as i do when i'm not on it. This has resulted in some weight loss. I was 100 pounds now i am about 95. Before i became vegetarian i was about 110. I've been veggie for 2 years.

I am naturally a petite size. I am 16 years old and look like i'm 12. Everyone is all of a sudden saying that i am too small. They call me anorexic on a daily basis. It's mostly my friends,boyfriend and brother. My parents tell me that i look fine. It's really starting to get to me.

How can i gain weight? Because i know that i am underweight right now. Being vegetarian and trying to gain weight can be a bit tricky can't it?
You should see a lichened nutritionists so she can evaluate what you eat. It could be natural for you or maybe you are eating the wrong foods. It does sound like you are under weight! Get a grip on this now! i am 34 and it is much harder when you are older to deal with diet problems!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Can you eat even if you aren't hungry or does it make you sick? If you can eat, then make yourself eat three meals and two snacks a day, regardless of whether you're hungry or not. If you can't make yourself eat that much at once, try to fill up on nutritionally dense foods. Nuts, nut butters, avocados, oils (i.e. olive oil) and non-hydrogenated margarines (i.e. earth balance), granolas, all have a lot of calories in small servings. You might also try milkshake type things, either stuff like Odwalla soy shakes or boost nutritional shakes, which are high in liquid calories.

It may also be wise to visit the doctor you were medicated by/your general physician to make sure you are at a healthy weight, see if your medication can be tweaked a little to help your appetite, or to see if they have any suggestions for you. My concern is that you might lose your period at the weight you're at now, and that isn't necessarily healthy.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
How tall are you? I'm just curious about your BMI. I'm 4'11", and 95 pounds is a healthy weight for me.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Anorexia *nervosa* is a mental health condition... Anorexia is a medical condition when you aren't eating sufficient calories.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Anorexia *nervosa* is a mental health condition... Anorexia is a medical condition when you aren't eating sufficient calories.
That is true. I didn't explain it properly, so I apologize.

Anorexia nervosa is a mental health condition that eventually takes an effect on the physical body.

Anorexia is a medical condition where the person isn't eating enough due to a lack of appetite for whatever reason, including, but not limited to, medication and depression.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
I recommend seeing a registered dietician or your doctor, to see if they think your weight is a problem, they can probably recommend changes in medication or diet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i am a bit on the lazy side. I basicly only exercise in gym class at school. I have a modified gym plan. I jog for an hour wearing a heart monitor. My heart rate has to be in between 145 and 175 for 40 minutes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just want to add, don't let others' comments get into your head. I was 5'4 and 95 lbs until I was 20, 21. Then i popped 10 lbs on.

I heard the comments as well but if it's a healthy weight for you, despite being on the meds, then you have nothing to worry about.

Eat your meals and snacks as usual and if you're desperate to gain try eating a bit more at each meal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm an inch taller than you and a pound or two heavier, but my doctor says it's fine. Keep in mind that people carry their weight differently. At 95 pounds, you might look super skinny even though you're probably healthy. The only reason I would worry is if you continue to lose weight.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I wasn't even vegetarian when I was 18, and I was 95 lbs and 5'4''. I was also taking ADD drugs at the time, so its pretty common. When I stopped the meds in college, I gained 15 lbs, lol - which was good cause I actually looked like a woman then. I got a lot more attention from the guys, and hooked me a good one who I married ;-)

What dosage are you on? It might be a little high for you. I wont tell you to try to force yourself to eat cause I know that's pretty much impossible on those stimulants, they KILL appetite. Try instead to eat more dense foods - avocado, nuts, etc, when you do eat. A little bit more figure will be good for you ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.