VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I eat fruit and and a spectrum of vegetarian protein (because I strength train in the gym). I don't eat any of the (whole) vegetables typically found in salads. I do however drink V8 daily and take a high grade all-natural multi.

I think my fiber needs are met but I wonder if these habits are sustainable or if some kind of vitamin/mineral deficiency is inevitable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For example, I just finished eating a plate with:

-quinoa with mixed beans and olive oil
-2 eggs fried in coconut oil
-cottage cheese mixed with almonds, walnuts, hemp seeds, and gluten flour.
-glass of V8 with multivitamin and fish oil capsules (cheating I guess)..

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I'm not really sure why you would want to maintain a diet with no fruits or vegetables. I suppose there's a chance you might be getting what you need from your multivitamin, but if you're athletic, chances are your nutritional requirements are higher than the average person. Salads aren't the only way to eat veggies -- they are delicious cooked and seasoned lots of different ways. A few examples -- pasta with marinara sauce, chili with beans, corn, and diced green peppers, or veggies roasted in olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper. How about adding some mushrooms and spinach to your eggs? Fruit makes a great snack as well, or you could make smoothies with fruit, tofu, protein powder, etc.

I'm not entirely sure your fiber needs are being met, but I'll leave that to you to figure out. Aside from fiber, fruits and veggies provide vitamins and minerals (some are better absorbed a little at a time rather than all at once from a multivitamin), antioxidants, as well as bringing great flavor and variety to your diet.

BTW, why are you eating raw gluten flour mixed into your cottage cheese? I'm not really sure that's a good idea..

They do make a vegetarian substitute for fish oil. Look for algae derived DHA and EPA (Deva and Ovega are two brands).

A trip to a registered dietician is highly recommended.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
way too much fat from what you've just written there....also agree with the fact that you don't have to eat just salads to get your vegetables. soups, stews, baked dishes, Green Smoothies, all fit the bill nicely, unless you are a raw vegan.

So why are you adding wheat gluten to your cottage cheese? There's no specific nutritional value in it, although it's the primary ingredient to make seitan, which is high in protein.

while V8 juice can be part of a balanced diet, it surely shouldn't be counted on to be the main source of your veggies. Even the low sodium one still has a lot more than you'd get in real veggies, is highly processed, and is missing most of the fiber. What is it you don't like about vegetables? After a while of eating properly, it becomes much easier to eat items you previously didn't think you liked, or preparing them a different way can make them much more palatable. give it a try!

Practing eating from the rainbow will give you the best assortment of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
do you just not like vegetables or is there another reason why you don't eat them?

veggies and fruit and the best way to get vitamins and nutrients, far superior to a multi vitamin and v8 juice. im not sure why anyone would avoid the most healthy foods we can eat, especially if health and fitness are priority.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I love greens and most salads, so it's easy for me to get enough of them, but fruit was a bit of a challenge for me. I just don't love a lot of fruits. To get enough, I started eating some organic, dried fruit everyday. I also make a lot of smoothies.

I'd recommend that you make yourself a green smoothie everyday and drink that instead of the V-8.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Lots of vegans and vegetarians don't eat salads. That's fine. You don't need salads to be healthy.

But you do need some fruits and veggies. You said you're eating fruits so that's great! Now it's just the veggies.

V8 and multivitamins aren't bad. And if you really can't bring yourself to eat veggies then stick with what works for you. But it's probably a good idea to try to increase your veggie consumption. Most people can do that without much trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I'm not really sure why you would want to maintain a diet with no fruits or vegetables. I suppose there's a chance you might be getting what you need from your multivitamin, but if you're athletic, chances are your nutritional requirements are higher than the average person. Salads aren't the only way to eat veggies -- they are delicious cooked and seasoned lots of different ways. A few examples -- pasta with marinara sauce, chili with beans, corn, and diced green peppers, or veggies roasted in olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper. [...]
They do make a vegetarian substitute for fish oil. Look for algae derived DHA and EPA (Deva and Ovega are two brands).
I agree with this.

Here are some resources for learning how to incorporate more fruits and veggies into your diet:
http://www.choosemyplate.gov/downloa...Vegetables.pdf
http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematte.../?page_id=1416
http://stayingvegan.com/2010/02/how-...nd-vegetables/

In all honesty, I don't always eat plenty of fruits and veggies myself. I tend to prefer protein and carbs. I'm in love with beans and pasta, what can I say? Luckily, I'm still pretty darn healthy and I have no trouble staying vegan. I add frozen veggies to soups and sauces regularly. And I steam fresh or frozen vegggies, add a dash of salt and eat them as a side for dinner. I try to eat salads but truthfully I don't eat very many. So I just want to say that there are lots of ways to be vegetarian or vegan. It doesn't require becoming a salad-lover.

Looking at what you posted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

That's a lot of saturated fat. If you eat that every day then you're asking for trouble. Please consider cutting down your saturated fat intake.
But even if you don't, adding more fiber to your diet will help reduce the risk you pose by consuming so much fat. So that's another reason to try to eat more veggies.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I don't enjoy salads all that much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

That's a lot of saturated fat. If you eat that every day then you're asking for trouble. Please consider cutting down your saturated fat intake.
>implying that he eats that every day
>implying that coconut oil are horrible for you
>implying that he used much coconut oil

nope.jpg

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

nope.jpg
I thought ElaineV was referring more to the eggs than the coconut oil? 2 eggs every day is over the recommended intake for cholesterol for most people, and the saturated fat from the eggs isn't a good thing either. The saturated fat from coconut oil may not have the same artery damaging effects, but the jury is still out on that.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Danger danger Will Robinson!

V8 is pretty much salt flavored with a touch of tomato juice. Great for bloody marys, not so much for nutrition.

There are plenty of ways to make veggies palatable. What are you favorite things to eat? Is there anyway you can sneak a veggie or two into those meals?

Also, fish oil isn't vegetarian. Ergo, if you take it regularly and purposefully, you aren't vegetarian.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

I eat fruit and and a spectrum of vegetarian protein (because I strength train in the gym). I don't eat any of the (whole) vegetables typically found in salads. I do however drink V8 daily and take a high grade all-natural multi.

I think my fiber needs are met but I wonder if these habits are sustainable or if some kind of vitamin/mineral deficiency is inevitable.

Thanks!
Deficiency is inevitable.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

That's not vegetarian at all.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:

I don't enjoy salads all that much either.

nope.jpg
I find it so hard to understand what you are talking about when you structure posts like this.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I find it so hard to understand what you are talking about when you structure posts like this.
fine, I'll simplify.

those sentences are things that Elaine either implied or said outright.

and I disagreed with them.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:

fine, I'll simplify.

those sentences are things that Elaine either implied or said outright.

and I disagreed with them.
Do you frequent 4chan?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally dislike peppers; I find their taste extremely weird. But I know there's a lot of healthy stuff packed in there, so if I'm making pasta with a marinara sauce, I'll blend the peppers with the tomato sauce, so that I don't taste them but I'm still getting all the good vitamins and minerals. You could try doing that with other veggies, just to practice incorporating them into meals.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

Do you frequent 4chan?
from time to time, I once greentexted my implications, but seven hated it, so I stopped.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

But even if you don't, adding more fiber to your diet will help reduce the risk you pose by consuming so much fat. So that's another reason to try to eat more veggies.
Except coconut oil is a different saturated fat than animal fats and saturated fats in general don't increase risk of heart problems.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
You don't need to eat salads to be a (healthy) vegetarian. You do need to not consume fish to be one though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:

Fish oil is unnecessary. Hemp seeds and walnuts are both good sources of omega 3. There are other vegetarian sources as well.

http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2001sep/2001sepomega3.htm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts