VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently learned about the cruel treatment of factory anmials. I never knew they were tortured that way, so I started researching and it really opened my eyes to eating meat. Even before I've never been a big meant eater, but I find it hard to find foods that are suitable, since my parents don't always approve. They want me to have my dairy products, they are okay with no meant though. It's impossible to get them to cook foods, and they think they can just get veggie burgers and it's all solved. Even those half the time have animal products in them. So I'm just curious to how you guys made it through? Did your parents approve of it, and if not how did you weasel your way out of that? Did people highly dislike you for not eating meat? Just your own stories
How can I make them see, this isn't just a 'phase' or something to make me 'different' I REALLY want to make a difference and help these animals out. They don't deserve this.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Can't say that I've experienced this, all my friends and family have been very supportive, but a lot of the members here seem to have similar issues with people. If they are worried about dairy they are probably concerned that you won't be getting enough calcium, if I were you I'd research calcium and explain to them some of the better sources. Take some initiative in the kitchen, look up some vegetarian recipes and cook them yourself, once they see that you are willing to do the work on your own they will probably be more supportive.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
My mum hated the idea of me going veg, and refused to serve me vegetarian meals at first. I just stopped eating, and at every meal calmly explained to her why I did not want to or need to eat meat. She relented after about a week, and about six months in finally admitted that there didn't seem to be any negative impact on my health.

Going vegan was a lot easier, because I was already out of my mum's house and living on my own She disapproves, but there's not a damned thing she can do about it. For your situation, I'd suggest just explaining the facts about health with regards to anything they may be worried about, and doing some research on meals that are accidentally vegan and easy to make - ones the whole family can eat together. Vegetable pasta dishes and chilli usually go down well. Maybe even offer to take a health check after six months of veganism so they can see you're not hurting yourself.

As for people thinking it's a phase... just stick with it. Prove them wrong. My mum thought it was a phase, and it's been six and a half years since she told me it wouldn't last five minutes. The only way to make them believe you is to stand the test of time.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Thankfully I went veg when I was almost 18 and I cook for myself mostly, so except for buying less meat and more veggies nothing much has changed for the rest of the family.

How to convince people it's not a phase? Stick with it. Be calm, learn your facts (especially nutrition) and stick with your guns. Don't lash out at omnis randomly, be competent. Don't let people give you crap either and try not to get into heated arguments. You don't need to argue. Maybe in a few years' time people will still insist it's a phase, but then there's nothing left for you to change their opinion anyway - they're just stubborn

Good luck! And even if you don't manage full-on vegan yet, you're on the right way and every little bit helps.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I can relate to you as I'm a teen and recently became vegan from a complete omnivore diet and I've been met with a lot of resistance from family. I think your family seems supportive compared to mine, though. Even before going vegan, I was expected to make most of my own food, so now I just have to make all of it myself, but it seems from your post that you're expecting them to cook for you or help you cook. Also, it sounds great that they're at least buying you veggie burgers and attempting to help you. My family won't buy me special vegan foods, such as vegan burgers, tofu, soy milk, etc. They won't even buy me basic breads that don't have dairy (they just buy what's on sale and won't pay the extra $0.25) or any fruits and vegetables that they don't like (they don't really eat any fruits except for occasional strawberries, apples, or bananas) so my meals can be very limited. My mom has gotten a bit more accommodating, though, and now will buy me varieties of beans so that I can get the nutrients I need because she's very worried about my health (I'm very underweight, have a disease, low blood sugar, along with other problems that have caused me to end up in the hospital many times before). I also make a large portion of spaghetti for myself and then put it in the fridge so I can have a few days of meals. It's easy and very delicious, just make sure to get egg and dairy free noodles (I got a four pound bag so that I don't have to look for them all the time), and if you get bored of this, make it slightly different each week. I like to add different veggies to make it more flavorful. Mushroom are especially great with spaghetti.
As for your family buying you foods with animal products in them, I wouldn't be too hard on them. Animal products are hidden in everything, and have different names that many people aren't educated about. My family didn't even know gelatin was an animal product until I explained to them what it was the other day, and they definitely couldn't spot all the other animal products in foods. Do you go with them to the store? If not, then maybe you could ask to go with them so you can pick out all your food. Once you've been Vegan for a bit and have a pretty good idea of what brands and products are vegan and you like, then your family will also know what to buy you if they go without you. You can also tell them some basic things for them to buy you if you don't go with them, like tofu or Boca original vegan burger patties. Also, take a look at PETA's Accidentally Vegan list (http://www.peta.org/living/vegetaria...lly-vegan.aspx). The simpler, everyday products are more likely to be in an omni family's home, and they'll also easily find them in a store. The list is great for snack products. My favorite snack is Ritz(I like to fill them with peanut butter to make it tastier and get more protein), and if I'm in the mood for chocolate then I'll have some Oreos (you can freeze them for an ice cream-like dessert, and if you have Hershey's or Bosco syrup, you can put some of that on the frozen Oreos because I can't find dairy or animal products in each). I think that once I've been vegan for a while, I'll have a lot of food ideas and develop my own "schedule" of food once I discover more vegan products and recipes that I like. Good luck in your transition to vegan, and just have an optimistic attitude about all the challenges you encounter and stay strong and know that all of us at VeggieBoards are here for you if you run into people that are rude, mean, or unaccepting of your lifestyle.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi!
I'm approaching my one year vegan anniversary, and have now been a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years.
My mom's side of the family is pretty veg-friendly, i have a vegetarian uncle and cousin, and apescetarian aunt and cousin. My dad's side is big on meat though. My family did not approve of me giving up meat. My mom always said to wait till I went 18, but I just couldn't wait any longer...
I went vegetarian, and my parents (especially mom) would always comment on health and what not. I did get very insecure about my diet and eating, and wound up orthorexic because of it.

I went vegan 1 1/2 years after going veg, still, without my parents' support. I decided that all animal products, with the exception of honey (which I don't eat), are completely unnecessary for humans, and many times are unhealthy too. I'm so glad I decided to go vegan! I'm never going back, and although my mom still gives me the occasional "You need to lighten up, eggs are good for you!", they've gotten used to it

It's definitely worth doing. There have been times when I did doubt what I was doing, but the way I feel and what I have learned- I am making the right choice.
I know it's hard to overcome your parents, but you need to reason with them. I did have my aunt's support, but I'm certain I could have made it without her.
Good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Show them it's not a phase. Make a bet with them. If you're STILL vegan in 3 months time then they have to support you.

Failing that, leave a turnip at the end of their beds every night - at least that might freak-them-out enough to go along with ya'!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am 17, and I was KIND OF in the same situation you are. I was a vegetarian 11 years before I went vegan, so my parents were already used to my morals. At first they said it was too restrictive, but I proved them wrong. I would go grocery shopping with a parent and pick some vegan things out that look good to both of you, and maybe cook a meal together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts