VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new at being a vegetarian and am struggling to stick to my guns. My reason is due to my love of animals, but sometimes it's hard to remind myself of the reasons. I think that coming onto this board will really help me because I don't know any vegetarians at all so I don't really have any support. I live on my own, but eat breakfast at my parents in the morning, because my mom watches my dog while I'm at work so she's not home alone all day. Also, I eat at their house on Sunday evenings. My mom is in real denial about my decision and is in real fear for my health so she's been making more meaty meals than before and adding hidden meat products, as if trying to inspire me to like meat again. I think the reason she can get away with it is because sometimes I give in. I really want to be a veggie-saurus and my long term goal is to be a vegan. Am I sounding like I really want to do it? Trust me, I do, it's just a little hard without other veggies around who understand

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hi sunshinemelissa! (what a nice username!!)

Short, we're here to HELP!!!!!
Kiss your lonely veggie existence good-bye!

There are other good reasons to go veg besides animals: it's healthier and it's mucho mucho better for the environment. And isn't meat just plain gross??

There is a lot of literature out there that you could show to your mom. One of my favorite sources is PCRM (they're all M.D.'s):

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/index.html

All of these articles would I think make for an interesting read for her!

You are in a tough situation, but I think having difficulty because of lack of support is "better" than having difficulty because you crave meat. So I think you have the 'better' kind of the two difficulties many new vegetarians face. If what I say makes any sense.

If you stick around, you'll meet a lot of knowledgeable folks who can help you out with most anything. You should post this problem in some other appropriate forum too and you'll get tons of answers and suggestions!

Plus, veggieboards.com is a fun place to be too. Check out the Veggie Patch whenever you are just looking for some chit-chat. There's always something happening here! Just come in and participate.

So, my veggieboards-prescription for you: consume at least once a day, and post often!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinemelissa

Hi. I'm new at being a vegetarian and am struggling to stick to my guns. My reason is due to my love of animals, but sometimes it's hard to remind myself of the reasons. I think that coming onto this board will really help me because I don't know any vegetarians at all so I don't really have any support. I live on my own, but eat breakfast at my parents in the morning, because my mom watches my dog while I'm at work so she's not home alone all day. Also, I eat at their house on Sunday evenings. My mom is in real denial about my decision and is in real fear for my health so she's been making more meaty meals than before and adding hidden meat products, as if trying to inspire me to like meat again. I think the reason she can get away with it is because sometimes I give in. I really want to be a veggie-saurus and my long term goal is to be a vegan. Am I sounding like I really want to do it? Trust me, I do, it's just a little hard without other veggies around who understand
Yeah, what Oatmeal said. Information and patience are your two best friends right now. Hang in there and stick around.

·
Registered
878 Posts
HEY !!

your not gona be lonley for long !!

its ok that you still sumtimes eat meat the point is . is tha tyou are trying and you want to stop ans want to help animals it just may take some time !

And my parents hated it too but ya kinda have to stick to it to show them that you can be healthy and its not just a phase !

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I went vegetarian and found VegWeb* soon after, which helped tremendously. I am at the 4 month stage as well and having no problems except for ease of eating out! However I also have a very supportive fiance. It's hard when you know no RL veg*ns and I think find this place very VERY helpful... soon you'll be wondering why on earth it was so hard!

*VegWebbers moved here a little while ago, and I for one love it!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
welcome sunshinemelissa!

i wish you luck on your veggie adventure.

alot of people here @ VB will certainly be able to give you the support and encouragement you might need.

we've all been through it ourselves (apart from those born veg, hehe) so you are NOT alone .....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey sunshinemelissa,

I became a vegetarian as a child, so i also faced some serious resistance from my parents. What really helped in my case was supplying my mother with articles by health professionals extolling the benefits of vegetarianism. My mom is now an almost-vegetarian, and when I come home for visits, she's always ready with the tempeh and soy milk. She's even started buying meatless "meat" products for herself!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Dear sunshinemelissa,

I feel your pain!! I became a vegetarian a few months before Thanksgiving last year and believe me it was a truly difficult holiday season. My family is really big on the whole turkey/ham/gravy thing and it was really hard for me stick to my beliefs with that familar smell of turkey roasting in the air.

Those first months were really difficult on my family, but I have to report that I went home to visit my grandma last month and she had purchased a carton of SunSoy milk for me to have while I was visiting. This was a big acceptance level for her and she is finally starting to come around to seeing my views. My point is: stick to it and have faith in your yourself and your beliefs. Your family will eventually see that this isn't a negotiable aspect of your life and will respect you for your decision. It took my family awhile too, but after 8 months things are starting to look up!!

-Amber

1 - 13 of 13 Posts