~

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
The pride of Sweden, eh?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It's a dream of mine to one day live in a small, prefab home. My house is big and I misplace things constantly. And the cleaning.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Looks like an expensive trailer house.
That's what 'prefab' means.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I'd rather live in a tiny natural home that I built myself. WAY more amazing, and much less than $86,000
I want to live in one of these Eco-Domes. More sturdy than I imagine the IKEA house would be.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
I love those domes! I once saw a house on Jacksonville, FL Beach that was sort of underground in the back, and the front faced the beach with these two huge oval windows that looked like eyes.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I make cob/strawbale/earthbag houses and some can be very similar to those (I'm a natural builder). I just haven't made one for myself, yet.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Considering in my area you can buy small homes for well under $86k, this seems expensive.

But perhaps its for people who want something new yet still cheap.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have family and coworkers that live in manufactured homes. And they are happy with them. The way they build them now is much better than they used to. Well insulated, 6 inch outside walls available. Gone is the paneling. I scanned the comments for the IKEA house. Much of them were pretty negative. I like small living. There is that site with those really really tiny houses. Some of them can be towed. I think that's great. I'm a homebody so I do need a certain amount of space. Some of the houses built today. So large. And just watch "House Hunters" on HGTV, what some people think they "need"

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I'd rather live in a tiny natural home that I built myself. WAY more amazing, and much less than $86,000
Do you ever plan to do this? That would be wonderful!

My oldest brother I haven't spoken to in over 25 years. He's a JW. It's a mess. But he worked as a carpenter and said to me once" I've built some really nice houses and always gave the key over to someone else" I wonder why he never built is own. I know he didn't for a fact because my other brother stays in contact with him. He could have but didn't.

I have a couple of books on small space living and cottages. One of them features homes in the San Francisco Bay Area. It has homes that were, I think they called them, Refugee shacks, after the 1906 earthquake. Houses still standing today that were made from several of and/or added on to those "shacks." They think some of them were hauled as far away as Santa Cruz. Interesting.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Well I am surprised they did not make it a kitchen/bathroom. You bathe in the dishwasher and use the toilet in the sink with the garbage disposal to grind down large chunks.

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Sarcasm![/SPOILER]

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I saw a segment on Book TV with some economist (unfortunately, I don't remember his name).

He said that the average American house purchased in 1980 was 1,600 square feet. The average American house purchased in 2007 was 2,300 square feet. What accounts for this nearly 50 percent increase in size?

The economist said the primary reason was the access to good public schools. You have to buy at least the average-costing house in a good-average neighborhood in order to get your kids into a good public school. So there is a competition to buy bigger and "better" houses, whether they are more strictly speaking needed or not just to provide shelter.

The Ikea house is about 750 square feet, so just about half the size of the average 1980 house.

I would imagine that the market for such housing is skewed toward empty nesters, childless couples, single persons and the like.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

I have family and coworkers that live in manufactured homes. And they are happy with them. The way they build them now is much better than they used to. Well insulated, 6 inch outside walls available. Gone is the paneling. I scanned the comments for the IKEA house. Much of them were pretty negative. I like small living. There is that site with those really really tiny houses. Some of them can be towed. I think that's great. I'm a homebody so I do need a certain amount of space. Some of the houses built today. So large. And just watch "House Hunters" on HGTV, what some people think they "need"
Same here. I think the Ikea home is cute. I wouldn't want to live in a big house. Too much space, too many rooms to clean, things to fix and way too expensive to heat. I can't watch HGTV shows because they make me cringe. Such a waste of money.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, trailers - oh, uh, prefab homes - are always going to depreciate in value. It's not like buying a normal house. And you may have difficulty selling a prefab house because it's difficult to get financing for older prefab homes, so not many people will be willing or able to buy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts