VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one's for Teri.

I LOVE IKEA stuff. Anyone else shop there?

We need to buy a bunch of new stuff for the house, and it's basically all coming from there.

I need two new LACK tables for the livingroom, and I want BILLY bookshelves for upstairs, but Trev is insisting on IVAR.

We're also getting a kitchen table, I forget the name, but a smaller one with a glass top...

I already have a bedframe from there (will find name later) and a ROBIN cd shelving thingy (which ripped Trev's hand open during the move)...

Who else has crap from IKEA?

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
For those who aren't familiar with IKEA...

http://www.ikea.com/

I don't have any. Our nearest store is about 1 1/2 hours away. A friend of mine keeps bugging me to go. I'm sure I'll make it eventually, it's just that I don't need anything from there and I'm sure I'll end up coming home with a bunch of stuff.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Mines an hour and a half drive away too, so I have to stock up. we were umm five hours in there last time. I became lost and had to be cell phoned as to where I was.

I bought Leksvik bookshelves in unfinished pine x 4. Then Pete cut away the bottom of the middle two- so the tv, video etc etc goes there, then we used two of the thus spare shelves to make cupboard doors on one unit, which are now stuffed full of tut. And I got some mega cheap wood cd racks and little box thingys to put my cassette tapes in....

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Oh. And yesterday I had another home furnishing brainwave. I had a tin of Ikea white wood stain...

So the 1980 Habitat coffee table got sanded down to it's natural state and painted with wood stain. Only it didn't dry in the six hours it said, but 30 hours and by then I was desperate and stood it in front of the radiator. Lokks nice now though.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
we have a nikala sofa, and a poang chair in our livingroom. also, four droppen lamps.

in the dining room we have four stefan chairs.

it took us FOUR years to save up enough money to get the sofa and armchair. (worked out to about $1000 with taxes). it will probably be another four years before we can save up enough for the other stuff we need.

we need a new ikea sofa bed and TONS of shelving. actually the kids need all new bedroom stuff for real. most of our other furniture is so shabby and second-hand i feel ashamed to let people see it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have loads of second hand everything, and what wasn't second hand is mega old, like my 20 year old coffee table. I don't care, I paint things and act bohemian and artistic. My curtains are all a pile of elderly second hand rags but it stretches my mind being creative. I couldn't live without sandpaper and paint though.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I've never been to IKEA, but I have a friend whos obsessed w/it, he takes everyone he knows there & spends hours shopping...then goes home w/lots of stuff he has no space for. He keeps trying to get me to go, but I know that, like him, I'd come home w/a bunch of stuff I dont have space for! One of these days when I have the money to buy new furniture I'll finally go.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well when you do have the cash and need some stuff, I recommend making the trip. Check it out:

I needed a bed frame a while back and I saved up about $400 for it. I went to IKEA expecting to pay about that for a nice one. When I got there they had a special on a bed I really liked, and it was only $129!! So thereafter I got not only the bed, but also a matching side-table to go with it, a lamp, a shoe rack for the front door, a carpet and about 3 other smaller items all for what I had expected to pay for the one thing. I was thrilled.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
You know what can work as a CD rack? Get an old shutter and hang it upside-down. Of course, you may have to sand and repaint it first. It beats those topple-prone CD towers.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
this computer desk is from Ikea, it's umm Goliath i think it's called, has cd racks build into the top part where the monitor and junk go. i think the top is sold seperately from the desk section, so that if you don't need it you can buy just the desk. together it was about $170 but it's really nice and very solid.

aside from that we don't have any Ikea furniture yet, got some cork things to put hot dishes on, a desktop cd rack, and that's about it. we're supposed to be buying an Ikea table and chairs set off someone, they paid $400 and want only 100 for it and it's still pretty new. the table we're using is a folding card table so i really hope we get that set. not that we eat at the table anyway.

i have an Ikea catalogue and one day i sat there with a pen and marked off everything in it that i want. there's a lot. like, a lot.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
And the store has five times more in it than the catalogue.

I always check out the casualty clearance bay- one of the bookcases I wanted was half price there because it was already assembled. And too big to fit in a car but we had a van so that gave me the excuse to go rampant in the kitchen gadgets dept.

Cereal bowls 20p each. All my china is second hand from boot fairs. Which is ok at least no one cries when it gets dropped, but these were bright yellow and will hopefully make me feel sunny in the morning

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
oh yeah i forgot, i have two black LACK side tables which my mom got me, i used to have them sitting together as a coffeetable with a couple inches space in between. i thought it looked cool, bf didn't like it but oh well. now our coffeetable is one our roommate's dad made by hand, he's proud of it so i didn't make a fuss about using my tables instead of his. i'm thinking i'll get rid of my bedroom nightstands and use those tables instead.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Having lived with hand me downs and second hand furniture for far too years, Ikea has given me an affordable way into getting new furniture. I rather like the understated design. I have quite a few pieces of Ikea furniture now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts