VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister sent me a check for $100 for Christmas. What do you think I should buy with it? What would you buy yourself if you received a $100 check?

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I actually received a very similar check from my father and I'm still amiss at what to spend it on. I could nickel and dime it away, and buy a bunch of little crap, like gas for my car, food, etc. but I'd like to buy something substantial with it since it's supposed to be a gift.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the things I bought myself in past years that I have been happy with was a Braun Activator electric shaver, #8585. It was on sale for $140, so exceeded my gift check amount somewhat. It is one of those "self-cleaning" shavers that has a charging station with a sort of tank of alcohol in the bottom, and cleans itself while charging. It works well, especially if I have only a one-day growth of beard. Very handy if I am running late for an appointment, since I can take it in the car and shave during stoplights. It also has a "trimmer" attachment that is pretty useful at times. (I don't use it every day though, maybe once or twice a week.)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I'd buy a flat iron and presents for a few people I wasn't expecting to see but now are coming in the next few weeks.
ops:

·
Registered
898 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything. It would go to my bills. Boring I know but the more those bills go down, the better I feel. So I am buying myself a little piece of mind.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would spend part of the money on something for myself (maybe something for the kitchen) and use the rest to pay bills.

If I use the money to make an extra payment on my credit card then I'm actually paying for something that I already bought myself in the past, so I'm still buying myself a gift with the money.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
My parents gave me a pretty substantial check for my birthday this past February ($4000), before I got my new car & when I was just talking about it and saving for it & trying to figure out what kind I wanted. They told me it was to help towards my new car. I'm too much like a toddler in a "I can do it myself!" way, so I argued with them for a while about it, but they wouldn't take it back, so I just never cashed it & when my mom asked me about it, I voided it out in front of her & told her to just take me to dinner.

I did get a few hundred bucks for Christmas. I am putting it towards my back taxes that I owe. When I get money, I usually use it towards paying off stuff. I hate to be in debt (I consider a car loan debt.) Since I am pretty spendy with my own money & I impulse buy a lot, I figure it all rounds out. It makes no difference if I'd spent my own money on paying bills and used the gift money to buy fun stuff since it all gets done somehow.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I used my money for 4 things:

-$35 in gas certificate (I had a little over half a tank, and still have enough money on the certificate for one whole tank and half a tank to drive on)

-Food (I stocked up on some juice, for one thing, and other food to last the week)

-two cook books (presents to myself for my veggie anniversary, I can't look through them until thursday)

-Extras for tooth paste, soap etc (I'm stocking up now so that when I run out I won't be stretching my very tight budget to buy more)

So I guess I kinda paid off futcher bills, in a way. I don't have a credit card, so there was nothing else to pay off.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I would give it to charity.

If I were forced to buy something for myself, I'd buy a new mp3 player, maybe an iPod.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
That sort of thing spends itself for me. My friend and I are gaming, and it's become apparent I need a better video card. I swapped one of his with mine, but the price difference between the two cards will absorb the money I got for Christmas this year.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

What would you buy yourself if you received a $100 check?
Something for my kids. I don't often buy stuff for me right off.

I'd probably put some of it in my "Froggy Vacation" fund - I usually save a little when I get "gift checks" (about all my non-original family can think to give each other) to treat myself to something special somewhere down the road...

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
You could send it to Michael and sponsor quite a few people's Contributing Memberships.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'd probably by some new runners for the upcoming climbing season. Runners are the loops of nylon or spectra that go between the piece of hardware that a climber puts into the rock to catch their fall and the rope.

If I didn't get that, I'd probably buy some CDs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts