VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't take this thread as being USA-centric... due to certain health considerations I need to stay in the U.S. for the long-term, but look forward to traveling abroad as often as I can. At any rate, I'm graduating from school in August, have a strong desire to start all over again, and would love to move to a cool new place where nobody knows me. If you had your choice of absolutely any place in the U.S... where would you make your home and why? Thanks! Would love to hear your ideas.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
This is pretty much perfect for me (Durango, CO). but, perhaps one of the more beautiful CO towns if money wasn't an issue. Possibly NH, Maine, MO or even Alaska as well. I lurve mountains, sun, wildlife, snow and being away from peoples.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

In the wide open where the weather is beautiful and neighbors are far.
That's one of the things I always loved about living on the northern prairie in Montana.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
i'm very partial to mid florida. no more than around an hour and a half to either coast. doesn't get terribly cold here. long growing season. my property taxes are about 800 a year, no state income tax, and i can make great money (for down here anyway).

as far as it all adds together, i like this place a lot. of course, i'd like to go other places. next year i think i'm going to take a 3 month contract in alaska.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Start spreading the news
I am leaving today

what, is your mom throwing you out in the street and making you get a job? or is she just taking away your computer?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ I have to admit I'm quite partial to Florida. I've been coming down there since the 80's and my first spring break in Fort Lauderdale. I'm a huge fan of Disney as well. I've always prefered to spend my time in Florida at Disney rather than the beach. Just goes to show you how goofy I am.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
florida's got some really nice boating too. i got a 16 foot flats boat for the shallows and the rivers/lakes. take that sucker out in the gulf and you'll wish you hadn't. i did it once, and i was happy to make it back to land

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

florida's got some really nice boating too. i got a 16 foot flats boat for the shallows and the rivers/lakes. take that sucker out in the gulf and you'll wish you hadn't. i did it once, and i was happy to make it back to land
would it have been very amusing to see?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since you've responded to my thread, Unovegan, where do you live and would you recommend it to other veggie type folks?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

what, is your mom throwing you out in the street and making you get a job? or is she just taking away your computer?

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

would it have been very amusing to see?
not really. it sucked. i thought sure i was gonna get swamped and of course i'm not equipped worth a damn since i'd just got the boat and trying to figure it out. when the waves kick up, unless you have the right shape hull, you're screwed. it's just hard vertical pounding. once i got out of the gulf and back into the bay, i could get up on a plane again. i'll never do that again, trust me.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Since you've responded to my thread, Unovegan, where do you live and would you recommend it to other veggie type folks?
well, Digger, i live in Durango, CO and love it here for the reasons i earlier listed. Not a lot of veg folk here oddly (it's a very healthy/exercise friendly community), but i don't know that that matters. a small population with the college (15000).

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Some place that doesn't get so hot and humid in the summer, and is free of mosquitos, or as close as possible to that.
Where I live now is so the opposite of that.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

Some place that doesn't get so hot and humid in the summer, and is free of mosquitos, or as close as possible to that.
Where I live now is so the opposite of that.
you're in the south?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

well, Digger, i live in Durango, CO and love it here for the reasons i earlier listed. Not a lot of veg folk here oddly (it's a very healthy/exercise friendly community), but i don't know that that matters. a small population with the college (15000).
That sounds cool, buddy. Have been to the Colorado SHPO office several times for archaeological records searches but always seemed like it would be quite expensive to actually live there. One of my best friends lives in a Yurt in someone's backyard. Mind if I come squat on your property?

1 - 20 of 148 Posts