VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
11,550 Posts
someone who takes action... basically. if you see something you think is wrong, and take action to do something about it, then you're an activist.

so, for example: if you think circuses are awful, and you go and stand outside the circus and tell people that its horrible and why, or if you hand out leaflets in town informing people about why its wrong, or if you write to the local paper about it, or if you join a group that rescues old/ill/hurt circus animals, or if you write to the government and try to get circuses banned, or to try and get them to improve standards, .. if you do something about it... then you can say you're an activist.

activists strive to make changes to lots of things, animal rights, human rights, the environment, stuff thats on a worldwide scale like global warming, or stuff thats local in their community like a polluted river, etc etc etc.

this page explains it quite well too:

http://www.activistrights.org.au/what_is_activist.asp

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

someone who takes action... basically. if you see something you think is wrong, and take action to do something about it, then you're an activist.
I think that's incomplete, because a simple action of e.g. writing "circuses are bad m'kay?" on a piece of paper and leaving it on a cafe table doesn't suffice for someone being an activist. Activists have to do it often enough to count as activists, so we should add "someone who with an arbitrarily determined frequence works to correct injustices/wrongs".

11,550 Posts
blah... i was being simplistic, i didn't think that an overly complex description would be useful in this particular case, was all.

maybe writing your suggested statement on one sheet of paper doesn't count as activism in itself, but writing a little more (like perhaps adding why they're bad) on a sheet of paper, copying it a few times, and then putting it in pertinant places where others can see it, who might be affected by it, learn something, and make changes, i beleive would count as an (all be it) somewhat small piece of activism- in that lots of little things done by individuals can make a big difference with regards to the bigger picture.

i know i've seen lots of stickers on lamp posts with activist statments on them, like 'ban the bomb' or 'free the peckham 2' or whatever, or cnd symbols and a website address... i'd see that as activism of a sort... and also vandalism, but anyway.

i don't know a huge amount about it, i was just trying to be helpful, to be honest... (i probably shouldn't have posted thinking about it) is there a quota or cut off point for activism, that if it doesn't hit that point, it doesn't count?

are you not an activist if you attend meetings supporting a cause, and make the tea, write the agenda, take notes, and enable it to function, but if you don't chain yourself to the railings on tuesday?

what is this arbitary frequency.. once a week? once a month? once a year? or is it dependant on the level of activism? like- if you write letters, you have to do 10 a day, but if you go on a greenpeace boat, once a year is enough to count?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

blah... i was being simplistic, i didn't think that an overly complex description would be useful in this particular case, was all.
A complex definition satisfies my pedantic tendencies

Quote:
maybe writing your suggested statement on one sheet of paper doesn't count as activism in itself, but writing a little more (like perhaps adding why they're bad) on a sheet of paper, copying it a few times, and then putting it in pertinant places where others can see it, who might be affected by it, learn something, and make changes, i beleive would count as an (all be it) somewhat small piece of activism- in that lots of little things done by individuals can make a big difference with regards to the bigger picture.
I agree that it's activism, I just don't see someone engaging in it automatically as an activist. In roughly the same way, you can play chess once in your life - that one instance fully counts as chess-playing - but that doesn't mean you can describe yourself as a "chess player" when introducing yourself to people.

Quote:
i don't know a huge amount about it, i was just trying to be helpful, to be honest... (i probably shouldn't have posted thinking about it) is there a quota or cut off point for activism, that if it doesn't hit that point, it doesn't count?
Well I think there is, since I wouldn't call everyone who has sometimes engaged in activism activists.

Quote:
are you not an activist if you attend meetings supporting a cause, and make the tea, write the agenda, take notes, and enable it to function, but if you don't chain yourself to the railings on tuesday?
Probably (are an activist, that is).

Quote:
what is this arbitary frequency.. once a week? once a month? once a year? or is it dependant on the level of activism? like- if you write letters, you have to do 10 a day, but if you go on a greenpeace boat, once a year is enough to count?
By 'arbitrary' I mean that it cannot really be said what the frequency is exactly. This is the way language works. There's no definite cut-off point to when someone can be said to have jogging as a hobby or when someone is bald etc. It's up to each individual to decide when a word can be used, based on some completely implicit definition.

11,550 Posts
i don't know... say you're at a party, and the host brings out a chess board, and asks "any chess players amongst us?" i think if you've played it once, got the basics down, enjoyed it, and would willingly do it again, and are keen to get involved in the game, you could raise your hand. you'd probably wanna say "i'm just starting out" though, but you could!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts