VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go to a school where there's no cafeteria, and no microwave availible to me. Does any one has some good ideas for lunch I could take? I'm getting kind of sick of PB & J. Thanks!

Jamie

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I don't know if you are veggie or vegan, but this is one of my all time favorite lunch time eats. I store it in the fridge at work, but it should do all right in an insulated lunch container.

Martha Stewart's Chickpea Salad

1/2 cup cherry tomatoes quartered

1/4 cup chick peas - rinsed and drained

1/2 cup feta cheese

1 tablespoon lemon juice

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

salt and pepper to taste

Basically you just mix all the ingrediants together in a bowl and eat. There is an actual recipe for this, but I didn't have it in front of me so you might want to play with the measurements according to your tastes. I usually add a lot more cherry tomatoes and chickpeas to make it a full meal. It goes well with a few slices of crusty whole grain bread. Enjoy!

·
Registered
685 Posts
hummus sandwiches. hummus, raw veggies (tomato, cucumber, lettuce, sprouts) on whole wheat bread, or on a wrap.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Hummus tends to slide out of bread. It's best on a tortilla wrap, in a pita, or some really thick sub roll that'll hold it in.

I'd go for the tortillas... They *look* fancy, and are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
How about an eggless salad sandwich? I don't have a recipe for this handy, but I'm sure you could do a search for one on one of the many veg recipe sites around. I can see if I can dig one up too.

If you need a change from hummus on your veggie sandwich, try avocado with some Veganaise. YUM!

Can falafel be eaten cold? I haven't tried that.

-Sal

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have been taking little hummus packs to work lately. Athenos makes a "hummus traveler," like a lunchable. It has a little thing of hummus (original or other flavors are available) on one side and little pieces of pita, for dipping, on the other side! It is super convenient and not too pricey for me.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
a plain but very easy salad to make is: a three bean salad mix.

Simply rinse the three bean mix, add two types of peppers, oninion (if you like it), a tiny amount of olive oil, with plenty of vinegar and some salt.

Its so simply and cheap

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
How about leftovers? Pasta sauce is easy to pack, or just cook some pasta the night before. Sandwiches using faux meats or tofu, storebought or your own. Even soups are good and easy if you buy the instant kind, ramen style or cup, boxed. Bean salads are easy, just dump different kinds of beans in a container add a dressing or olive oil and vinegar, salt, some onions and tomatoes. How about cold rice salads, using leftover rice? Potato salads? Mixed veggies, fresh, raw, cooked, frozen, tossed in a favorite dressing or sauce, bottled or homemade. Veggie burgers are good. You can make a recipe and freeze them for grabbing whenever. I would cook stuff and freeze in lunch-size portions, or do the same with your nightly leftovers to create a freezer full of variety to choose from. Casserole-type dishes usually freeze really well too.

Potatoes are easy. I like sweet potatoes. Burritos and wraps are good and pack well.

Various dips are great too and they aren't boring. You can make different types. Take different breads, chips, crackers, tortillas, lavash, etc. to scoop and eat.

And how about varying those PB&J's? How about Tahini Butter and jelly? Or Almond, pumkin seed, Macadamia butter? Vary the preserves too or apple sauce, pumpkin butter, etc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I was in high school I used to pack a lot... one of my fave lunches was a veggie eggroll and a cheesestick (string cheese). You can buy veggie eggrolls in the frozen section at the store. I would heat them up in the oven before school then wrap it in foil and take it with me.

Fake pepperoni travels well too. Crackers, fake pepperoni, and cheese (if you're not vegan) plus an apple or banana or fruit cup is a filling lunch for me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tofutti cream cheese, flax seeds on a whole wheat bagel or fresh guacamole and chips are a few of my favorites. I also like black bean puree and tofutti on a bagel with some sprouts!

·
Registered
755 Posts
- Some sort of spread on a bagel + a piece of fruit or fruit cup is very substantial

- wraps : wrap up anything you fancy; leftovers, veggies, rice, beans, etc. i will suggest using flatbreads (much thicker than tortilla wraps) because it's much more filling.

- leftover pasta eaten cold is pretty good, IMO.

- pita sandwiches are very versatile too!

·
Registered
312 Posts
try cinnamon swirl bread with cashew butter! that's my packed lunch for tomorrow, so i don't actually know how this tastes, but i guess it's a spiced up version of pb&j? eh, i don't know. i'll see tomorrow

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its a new product that has some canned hummus with crackers. Its great because you can keep it around and not worry whether or not its gone bad.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I like to make sanwiches, veggie bologna/turkey, rice/soy cheese, hummus/nayonaise w/ lettuce & tomato.

You can also do a variety of fruit salad, melon, berries, etc.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Broccoli slaw mixed with a little nayonaise, stuffed in a mini whole wheat pita that was slathered with hummus inside, and then throw a few slices of tomato in there. This is a VERY refreshing and yummy sandwich.

I also love tempeh salad sandwiches, and tofu salad sandwiches for lunch :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Broccoli salad (w/ grapes and sunflower seeds) might work out well. You could take a container of that and maybe a bagel or something. I have a recipe somewhere if your interested. Hummus is always yummy though. Wraps are a good idea as well.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
haha..I shouldn't have clicked this thread..ya'll are making me hungry

Anyways, whatever you decide to eat, don't forget about your raw fruits and veggies!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts