VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... not only am I vegan, but have to GF for now and also nut-free and soy-free. Makes it a challenge.

My FIL is coming next week for the holiday and I was curious if you guys had some suggestions.

I'm already doing some hunting on my own and will use some old standbys, too...

- Mashed potatoes with garlic (mmmmm!)

- Asparagus baked in olive oil (outer edges get crunchy sometimes which is a plus for my palate
)

Maybe a Wild Rice with cranberries...

Will prolly go for a GF pie crust and make pumpkin pie (have to mess with recipes and experiment before FIL arrives) and a rhubarb strawberry pie... or maybe a crisp instead... Hmmmm... I'm especially open to ideas for dessert (my FAV part!
)

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
GF is gluten free, right? It took me a while to figure this out? You know what I thought it meant? Never mind.

Can you give me an idea of what grains are gluten free? For example, is corn gluten free? I think I could definitely help if I was sure what grains won't irritate you.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, GF=gluten-free

It's baby who gets irritated. Corn is off limits, too, b/c my hubby and son are VERY angry after ingesting this for a couple of days. Not fun.

List of GFgrains/flours that we can have: ...Ummm... rice of course, Potato, tapioca, Teff, Sorghum, bean flours, Amaranth, Buckwheat, Millet, Quinoa, Salba, arrowroot.

(Also to the list, I will prolly make my homemade cranberry sauce but use a GF thickener.)

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Btw, I've found a vegan mayo recipe that I managed to make soy-free, nut-free and also GF... So if you've got something that calls for it, it's okay!

[Side note, I made vegan ranch dressing from it last night - woof! That was good! Gonna make that again.
]

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

GF is gluten free, right? It took me a while to figure this out? You know what I thought it meant? Never mind.

Can you give me an idea of what grains are gluten free? For example, is corn gluten free? I think I could definitely help if I was sure what grains won't irritate you.
Oh, thanks for spelling it out for me. I had no idea what her girlfriend had to do with thanksgiving.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^GF is a pretty common abbreviation but more well known amongst those who are allergic. Hence its use will attract those who know it and can helpfully comment on the question at hand. [So is NF and SF which stands for nut-free and soy-free, btw]. And since this is a food discussion, it's pretty obvious that it isn't about something else.

ET reflect my humor has returned when I got a few more hours of sleep!

11,550 Posts
have you seen a copy of a book called the food allergy survival guide? http://www.foodallergysurvivalguide.com/

i bought this book recently and its quite brilliant in my opinion (your library might have it, even my mum's does and hers is in deepest darkest rural england!)

its got a nice bread recipe that doesn't contain corn and which is actually quite bread like compared to others i've had, its got muffin recipes- with variations including zuccinni, cinnamon raisin, onion-herb, lemon poppyseed, festive spice, orange marmalade etc, its got pizza crust recipes (and about a billion topping suggestions), chickpea crepes, banana bread, pumpkin spice bread, loads of cool dips, a lentil 'chopped liver' pate, eggplant pesto, a sort of apricot 'marzipan', fudge, a quiche made using coconut milk and beans instead of tofu, a nice sounding stuffed squash, a very tasty mayo recipe made with white beans (your mayo comment made me think of it, actually!) as well as stuff like pound cake, lemon drizzle cake, macaroons, fudge brownies, and something called a 'blueberry buckle' (like a coffeecake with blueberries and a crumble topping) which looks nice for a dessert if you served it with a sorbet or hot fruit sauce, a peach kuchen (hard to describe) etc etc etc.

to be honest, i think i could eat the book itself, i get so hungry looking at it, and everything i've made from it so far tastes so nice!

everything in this book is free from dairy, eggs, fish, meat, gluten, peanuts, shellfish, tree-nuts, soy, wheat, and yeast, and where other stuff that people might be allergic to (like fermented products or walnuts) is mentioned, it offers alternatives (like lemon juice for vinegar, and pumpkin seeds for walnuts) and it has nutritional breakdowns and nutrition stuff at the front.

i LIKE this book, lol... can you tell? i should get put on commision by the authors.

anyway.. its got good breads and desserts. if you wanted to do a main course 'meat' thing, you could maybe make a rich lentil or chickpea/other bean based loaf with loads of veggies and herbs and spices in it (not in the book but its probably easy to work something out). i think roasted things always have a good crunch, (i miss bread crunchiness!) so i love garlic and rosemary roasted new potatoes, and gf'ed yorkshire puddings are good too (not very 'thanksgiving' or american, but good anyway!).

for dessert you could do a spiced apple or blueberry or autumn fruit crumble, and use a sort of gf nut free granola style topping with seeds and cornflakes etc (is coconut actually a nut?- if not, grated coconut would be cool too), or make a crumble topping from gf flours, and serve it with a hot fruit sauce, or a sorbet- rhubarb or gooseberry crumble would be nice maybe?

rice is a good idea too- you could use it to make stuffing, puree it to make dumplings for soup or stew (i found a weird but good recipe for this in an english cookery book) or just use it to fill a squash (i think one of the recipes in the book does this actually).

how are you with chestnuts(spanish chestnuts/marrons)? many people with nut allergies are ok with them, (though some people with latex allergies react to them) as they're very low protein.

and what about pine kernels? they're actually seeds, so maybe you could utlilse them- though they're expensive, they add a nice sprinkled flourish to french beans, and a richness to pesto, etc.

good luck with it- i wish i was having thanksgiving at your house now! i was lazy for canadian thanksgiving, and just had mashed potatoes and green beans and roast parsnips for my dinner... the smell of everyone elses turkey stinking out the appartment kinda put a dampener on my appetite. (yuck!)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HCJ,

This sound like a FAB book!!! I just did a quick search and yep! My local library has it ... and the database says it's not checked out. At least not yet cuz I'm gonna go out in this horrid rain storms and get it.

I see that Jo Stepniak is one of the authors. I've already got two cookbooks by her. So, I *know* this one will be great too.

Since posting last night I've been ruminating some more I'll make:

(a) Homemade cranberry sauce

(b) Homemade Mashed Potatoes with ROASTED (mmmmm!) garlic [will have to roast extra garlic just so I can eat a bunch of this and still have enough for the potatoes
]

(c) Baked Asparagus

(d) Wild Rice with Cranberries [I've eyed this recipe for 3 years, I think it's time I made it
]

I might experiment with a gf stuffing recipe... and I need to make a regular one for my omni hubby and omni FIL... who is coming with a female friend of his. I have my doubts that the gf stuffing recipe will be "good enough" for the non-gluten-avoiding folks. But who knows...

I have to make a turkey breast for them (ugh!
) and with all the food I usually make I don't think I'll bother with a fake "meat" for me.

Not sure about making any biscuits of any sort... GF or with regular flour for the rest of the clan. Maybe I'll just skip that part.

I do have to figure something for my FIL's friend to bring b/c she's insisting on bringing something. This is a challenge b/c we've got so many allergies up here... One son is allergic to some things the other isn't. Hubby has some allergies that I don't... But FIL and his friend aren't allergic to anything (of which I'm currently aware). So, trying to educate 80 yr old folk on our multiple and complicated allergies seems futile to me.

Wonder if I can send her a couple of recipes and have her make 'em... this way I don't have to ask her a thousand questions of what's in what.

I'm hoping that book will give me some ideas in that regard, too.

Thanks again! You're always so great with suggestions!

Wanna come? With as much food as I'll be making, I won't have to cook for days afterward!

11,550 Posts
Quote:
HCJ,

This sound like a FAB book!!! I just did a quick search and yep! My local library has it ... and the database says it's not checked out. At least not yet cuz I'm gonna go out in this horrid rain storms and get it.
Yey!!!
i think its a good book- i hope you like it too, and that it helps a little!

Quote:
I might experiment with a gf stuffing recipe... and I need to make a regular one for my omni hubby and omni FIL... who is coming with a female friend of his. I have my doubts that the gf stuffing recipe will be "good enough" for the non-gluten-avoiding folks. But who knows...
i've never bothered with stuffing, but apparently some millet and rice based ones aint bad- i guess if you're trying to replace a bread based one it'd be tricky though- i'm sure you'll make delicious stuff whatever.

Quote:
I do have to figure something for my FIL's friend to bring b/c she's insisting on bringing something. This is a challenge b/c we've got so many allergies up here... One son is allergic to some things the other isn't. Hubby has some allergies that I don't... But FIL and his friend aren't allergic to anything (of which I'm currently aware). So, trying to educate 80 yr old folk on our multiple and complicated allergies seems futile to me.

Wonder if I can send her a couple of recipes and have her make 'em... this way I don't have to ask her a thousand questions of what's in what.
sounds like a very good plan to send 'em a recipe and tell them not to deviate from it on fear of death, lol.. might broaden their culinary horizons! or you could just get them to do something really easy like roasted veggies- with clear instructions to use olive oil instead of butter!

i get scared letting people cook for me, especially if they don't fully understand the complexities of whats in what - even packet spice mixes, or plain old veggie stock that seeeeeems ok to the uninitiated is full of nasty stuff that hurts me. maybe get her to bring apple juice or some kinda mulled spiced drink, lol- hopefully she can't kill anyone with that.

Quote:
Thanks again! You're always so great with suggestions!
hehe, thanks

Quote:
Wanna come? With as much food as I'll be making, I won't have to cook for days afterward!
awww.... i'm tempted, lol... but i can't leave canada for fear of not getting back in again! (i got my visitors visa extention, so i can stay here till march, at which point i'll have been here a whole year, and will be then apply to stay as a resident- as a common law wife) *fingers crossed for that*. Seeing as you'll have free time from not cooking afterwards, maybe you could post some photos of the lush things you end up making (and recipes!) and that'll make up for it a little!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Orapunzel, here's what I had for my gluten free/vegan thanksgiving:

http://eatreadbemerry.vox.com/librar...ng-canada.html

As for dessert, I think that this crust (made with pecans instead of almonds) would be perfect for a pumpkin pie:

Quote:
Karina's Almond Crust

I've used this crust for pumpkin pie and cheesecake.

2 cups (heaping) almond meal

1/2 cup butter/vegan stick margarine, melted, or 1/2 cup light olive oil

2/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract

dash of pie spice or cinnamon, if desired

Combine all of the ingredients to form a sticky dough. With moist fingertips, press the dough into a greased 9x12-inch baking pan or 2 8-inch glass pie plates. Bake the crust at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before filling.

I've done the same with pecans; I've processed them into meal - pecans make a wonderful nut crust. Some cooks add a little rice flour to the mix. Experiment.
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...ay-season.html

11,550 Posts
Quote:
HCJ, I have that cookbook too, but I haven't made much out of it. Can you recommend any specific recipes?
i've only had my copy for about a month, maybe two, and so far i've made:

-the sunny seed bread about 6 times- i've made variations on it using soyamilk instead of nutbutter, and adding different things like onion and herbs for onion bread, and olives and sundried tomatoes and oregano for italian bread- all came out really nice. i double the recipe though to get a good sized amount, i sometimes add a splash more liquid, and i omit the sweetener (maple syrup, i think?) and swap it for the same amount of liquid.

-the chickpea crepes: really easy and quick and suprisingly crepe like (in a savoury way). i add indian spices and use them in loads of ways- flatbread wraps, dipping into spicy sauces, etc.

-the breakfast pancakes- a bit yellow (due to the gramflour), slightly crunchy on the outside sometimes (i have an electric stove currently and i'm used to gas so i overcook stuff a lot, so it comes out a bit crunchy, lol) but still good.

-the beannaise- really good- i do a garlic herb version of this quite often- i'd really missed mayonaise until i found this recipe.

- the pizza base- i cook this a little less than the recipe suggests, and half the xantham gum, cos it comes out a little firmer than i like otherwise. its not bad though, and its really nice to find one that doesn't need sugar or yeast!

unfortunately, as is my way, i've got so fixated with the tasty things i have made so far, that i've been doing variations on them a lot, and haven't made many other recipes so far that i can remember offhand.

i really want to make the naan/chapatis (can't remember which they are called offhand) next, and then try the cornbread, as the one i do currently is a smidge chewy sometimes.

i won't be using the sweet recipes as i watch my sugar a lot, but there are still plenty of other ones in this book that i need to try out!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up the book. (Boy those rains were more like a tropical wave than some regular storm - glad they've now passed by us.)

Anyway, this is a neat book! I'm going to look on amazon and see if I can find one used for inexpensive b/c I'm not going to want to give it up.
(And I might buy one for my neighbor who is having issues with allergies but won't embrace any wholesale changes b/c she "doesn't know what to do". I think this book will help her A LOT.

And you know... this book triggers an old memory for when my first son started showing one allergy after another. Back then (before vegan was even on the horizon for me), I couldn't even let it on my radar... Wish I had given it a good look. It would have been extremely helpful back in those early years (and the beginning of figuring out ALL our allergies).

Thanks again... and I'm gonna sit down with it tomorrow and go over some of the ones you've mentioned above.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
msbunnicula, Mmmmm, that orange roasted asparagus sounds great. I think I'll make that! (minus the nuts, of course) And it's only a slight variation from what I was going to do. Thanks for the inspiration!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts