VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho's governor said Thursday he will support public hunts to kill all but 100 of the state's gray wolves after the federal government strips them of protection under the Endangered Species Act.

Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter told The Associated Press that he wants hunters to kill about 550 gray wolves. That would leave about 100 wolves, or 10 packs, according to a population estimate by state wildlife officials.

The 100 surviving wolves would be the minimum before the animals could again be considered endangered.

"I'm prepared to bid for that first ticket to shoot a wolf myself," Otter said earlier Thursday during a rally of about 300 hunters.

Otter complained that wolves are rapidly killing elk and other animals essential to Idaho's multimillion-dollar hunting industry. The hunters, many wearing camouflage clothing and blaze-orange caps, applauded wildly during his comments.

Suzanne Stone, a spokeswoman for the advocacy group Defenders of Wildlife in Boise, said Otter's proposal would return wolves to the verge of eradication.

"Essentially he has confirmed our worst fears for the state of Idaho: That this would be a political rather than a biological management of the wolf population," Stone said. "There's no economic or ecological reason for maintaining such low numbers. It's simple persecution."

Wolves were reintroduced to the northern Rocky Mountains a decade ago after being hunted to near-extinction. More than 1,200 now live in the region.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service plans to start removing federal protections from gray wolves in Montana and Idaho in the next few weeks.

A plan drafted by Idaho's wildlife agency calls for maintaining a minimum of 15 wolf packs higher than Otter's proposal of 10 packs.

Jeff Allen, a policy adviser for the state Office of Species Conservation, said 15 wolf packs would allow "a cushion" between the surviving wolf population and the minimum number that federal biologists would allow before the animals are again considered endangered.

Allen said Otter and state wildlife officials agree on wolf strategy and will be able to reach a consensus on specific numbers.

"You don't want to be too close to 10 because all of a sudden when one (wolf) is hit by a car or taken in defense of property, you're back on the list," Allen said.

------------------------------------

Makes me sick....how did this guy get elected to that position?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,934 Posts
How come we have so many brilliant ideas about how many wolves there can be (100??????) versus how many humans in a given area?

Ugh, hate it, hate it.

More wolves, fewer people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

How come we have so many brilliant ideas about how many wolves there can be (100??????) versus how many humans in a given area?

Ugh, hate it, hate it.

More wolves, fewer people.
for real. i can think of lots of 'species' of humans that people should be allowed to hunt.

anywho. this really does make my tummy hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
people are scum. i wonder if i could get a permit to hunt the hunters(somthing ive wanted to do since i was 5).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,934 Posts
I like people and don't think they should be hunted, but I don't think we should favor them over all other creatures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,032 Posts
Ugh... I live in Idaho and I really dislike a lot of the people in this area. I hear from hunters quite often, how it is the humans 'moral duty' to hunt the deer and elk, since we've (as in the humans who've hunted, poisoned, and trapped the predators) have eliminated or almost eliminated all of the deer and elk's natural predators.

So we hunt the elk and deer to 'control' their populations. We don't want them to starve and suffer do we...?

So predators were reintroduced and they feed on the deer and elk (and livestock).

Now we hunt the predators, because they're "rapidly killing elk and other animals essential to Idaho's multimillion-dollar hunting industry."

I feel disgusted and disgusting just living here when I learn about this kind of stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,262 Posts
Welcome to the world of hunting.

How hunters talk to the nonhunting public: We're harmless nature lovers and conservationists in tune with the natural order.

How hunters talk to each other: Kill all that you can kill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

Ugh... I live in Idaho and I really dislike a lot of the people in this area. I hear from hunters quite often, how it is the humans 'moral duty' to hunt the deer and elk, since we've (as in the humans who've hunted, poisoned, and trapped the predators) have eliminated or almost eliminated all of the deer and elk's natural predators.

So we hunt the elk and deer to 'control' their populations. We don't want them to starve and suffer do we...?

So predators were reintroduced and they feed on the deer and elk (and livestock).

Now we hunt the predators, because they're "rapidly killing elk and other animals essential to Idaho's multimillion-dollar hunting industry."

I feel disgusted and disgusting just living here when I learn about this kind of stuff.
I live here too. I actually just moved here year ago and it is too bad I couldn't have taken a 2 month vacation here and realized how much I would hate it. I heard about this wolf hunt and really I think it's ridiculous. I would actually like to get in on the lottery, but I don't know how to go about that. I used to do that when I lived in ND. I'd get in on the deer hunt "lottery" and not hunt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder if they're aware of the fact that wolves are just as essential and important to the ecosystem as any elk or deer. I guess the hunters just don't want any competition. Grrr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,032 Posts
From the article, it sounds like everything is still in the works for the wolf hunt.

Perhaps we should start (or find someone to sponsor) an "Adopt a wolf" program. Where we get people who try for the wolf hunting permit, not to kill it, but to save it. We should try to get publicity, to call more attention to the whole situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,934 Posts
If any of you start an Adopt an Idaho Wolf program, I will join it to try to save a wolf. I think one of you in Idaho should start it. I'm serious, I'll put my money where my mouth is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

If any of you start an Adopt an Idaho Wolf program, I will join it to try to save a wolf. I think one of you in Idaho should start it. I'm serious, I'll put my money where my mouth is.
Ditto.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top