VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else ever heard of or suffered from them? They're little headaches that come on suddenly, are there for about 5-30 seconds, and it literally feels like an ice pick is stabbing you. I've gotten them recently, but I'm not sure why. From the research I've done, it seems like they have no cause, and the treatments may or may not work (different types of medication).
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,961 Posts
YES! Not all the time, but when one comes, more follow for days, completely random. I get other stabbing type pain, like in my arm, that seem nerve related. They don't even last more than a minute. The head pain completely goes away, in my arm a soreness follows.
It does seem related to stress. I sometimes get eye twiches too. I just found out I'll be losing my job of 20 years and have been having both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you deal with them? I know they're only there for about a minute, the pain is excruciating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I just found out I'll be losing my job of 20 years and have been having both.
so sorry Silva....hope you are able to find something soon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silva, I forgot to reply to the job thing this is why I should never be online while tired).
I hope it all works out for you.

Going to the doctor today and asking them about the headaches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

Silva, I forgot to reply to the job thing this is why I should never be online while tired).
I hope it all works out for you.

Going to the doctor today and asking them about the headaches.
Glad you are having it checked out...good luck!
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
I thought this was going to about lobotomies o_O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·


I ended up going to the walk-in clinic today (not for the headache, but for something else), and I explained the symptoms to her. She said that since it went away fairly quickly, she's not worried about the headache that much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post



I ended up going to the walk-in clinic today (not for the headache, but for something else), and I explained the symptoms to her. She said that since it went away fairly quickly, she's not worried about the headache that much.
Do you have a regular gp that you can talk to about it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,910 Posts
I have something similar, but in my neck. Intense sudden pain, 30 seconds long, then bam, gone.

Probably growing pains though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Do you have a regular gp that you can talk to about it?
Nope, no insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Indomethacin is a very old and hence very inexpensive anti-inflammatory medication that can help in this type of headache. But it can be really tough on the stomach. Check with the doc first about deciding if this is right for you. Its literally on the $4 list at the big box stores and can be combined with the over the counter stomach medicine of your choice like Prevacid or Prilosec. Primary stabbing headache is relatively new in the headache classification schemes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I'm not sure I want to take something that makes my stomach bleed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,910 Posts
Every time you take any medicine capsule/tablet, your stomach bleeds up to a teaspoon.

[/somewhat related yet useless trivia]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh lovely.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

Every time you take any medicine capsule/tablet, your stomach bleeds up to a teaspoon.

[/somewhat related yet useless trivia]
Why is that? Like, compared to other things you eat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,337 Posts
I get them. They are so annoying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Why is that? Like, compared to other things you eat?
Idk actually. Probably takes extra strength to dissolve it because it's not chewed and broken down.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top