VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wish someone would come out with a non premium priced vegan ice cream. There is just a big price gap between the dairy stuff and vegan ice creams.

For $2 you can buy a big ole carton of dairy based ice cream.

In the meantime, $4 plus will you what is probably half as much vegan ice cream. So vegan ice cream is like four times as much as dairy ice cream.

The same thing goes for vegan yougurt sp?.

Why the huge price gap?...dairy is subsisdized but so is soy?.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Hm. I must say that for *good* ice cream, I always had to pay a little more (HaagenDazs, B&J, Edy's, et. al.)

Some of the big chain grocery stores have vegan sorbets, marketed under the store brand. Safeway, for example, has some for about 2 or 3 bucks.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really I've never found that before. Does Price chopper or Hannafords carry it because that's what's here.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I was going to say the same thing as IamJen. The "good" ice cream is always pretty expensive, a good $4 a pint, the same as the good vegan kind. The cheap kinds are pretty, well, cheap.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here(im in Georgia) it's pretty much like that too. I pay like about $5 per quart (maybe a little more) for my organic So Delicious(love). WalMart now carries Chocolate Velvet So Delicious, but I try to buy as little from there as possible, and that flavor's not my fav.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yep, you can easily get a cheap sorbet. My family buys "good" ice cream, though, so I guess I never noticed a huge price gap.

Quote:
WalMart now carries Chocolate Velvet So Delicious, but I try to buy as little from there as possible, and that flavor's not my fav.
Actually, my friend and I were at Wal*Mart (her choice, not mine, I don't like that place) and decided to spontaneously buy things. Things turned into food... Turned into frozen food... I was really excited when I found the So Delicious, but I got mocha fudge, not chocolate velvet. It's good, too.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As the first Walmart in VT here, it's small and doesn't carry much food. Course people like me would be part of that since I voted not to have to have it expanded. I also avoid Walmart over treatment of Chinese workers.

What is the inexpensive sorbet called?.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the others, when I ate ice cream, I still paid for the premium flavors. The big cartons always tasted like chemicals and freezer and cardboard.

Safeway, Albertsons, Kroger - all the "chain" stores that I am familier with all have their own line of Ice Creams and Sorbets. And if you check, the sorbets are usually vegan. YAY. Just look in the frozen aisle for the generic or "store" brand.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I just made some vegan ice cream at home.

Take 1/2 package of Nasoya tofu (all I had was Firm)

1/2 cup soy milk (all I had was vanilla silk)

1/3 cup pure maple syrup

2 tsp vanilla

2 tsp beet sugar

1/2 cup melted carob chips (Chatfield's are my favorite)

1/4 cup carob chips

1/2 cup blackberries (or your favorite fruit)

1/4 cup vegan granola or your choice of nuts

mix first 6 ingredients in your blender. Blend. Now pour into a freezer safe container. Add the loose carob chips, fruit and granola or nuts .. stir. Freeze for a good 5 hours. Check it, since it may not be fully frozen yet. Consume when ready.
very yummy and easy to make.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I agree with the op. There should be some non-premium vegan ice cream.

The premium is ok for everyday use but can be too expensive for entertaining. I have a big extended family. 15 people for a birthday party or holiday dinner is not unusual. I doubt they would settle for sorbet with their cake and nothing beats a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting onto a hot dutch apple pie after Christmas dinner.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would have no use for a huge tube of vegan ice cream really. One of the good things about many vegan sweets being expensive and/ or relatively rare is that it prevents me from eating too many of them. I think the expansion of vegan things is sort of a mixed blessing for me. I've been reflecting on this since a vegan-friendly bakery opened a block down the street from me last month.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Whole Foods have little buckets of ice cream. The brand is Temptation (I think.) I got the mint chocolate chip. oh. My. god. amazing. Tastes exactly like real dairy ice cream. I kept blending it with soy milk for awesome mint chocolate shakes.

Ah, found it. http://www.welovesoy.com/

I hope they're kidding when they talk about buying Soy Delicious and the other soy ice creams are supporting dairy, so you aren't vegan if you buy them.

It's made on vegan-dedicated machines, by a vegan-only, fair trade company. That part's cool & interesting.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
The vegan comment on their site is meant to be informative, but is tongue in cheek, I'm sure.

Temptation is awesome! I'm glad to hear it's made it to East Coast.

It's the ice cream used in the world famous Chicago Diner shakes.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I hear you Eclipse.

Cost factors are one of the reasons I decided to go minimally lacto-ovo. Not so much ice cream that I have no problem doing without, but just everything in general. For those that say a pint of Edy's is the same as a pint of Soy Delicious, I wonder if they've priced ice cream lately. And store brand premium ice creams such as Kroger's "Private Selections" are often $1.99/quart compared to $2.99/pint for Soy Delicious.

I just tend to wait until I have a coupon when Soy Delicious is on sale (of which you can sometimes print out as many coupons as you want off Turtle Mountain's website)

For a while I was able to find a brand of non-dairy ice cream called "Mocha Mix" both at Wal-Mart and in regular grocery chains that was sold in quarts for a comparable price to dairy ice cream, but I have not seen it for many months. Our Wal-Mart does carry the "So Delicious" quarts but they are very expensive and that's one of the worst tasting brands of non-dairy ice cream I've ever had. I told them they were stupid for carrying the one brand that nobody likes.

Mayonnaise is another item with a big cost difference. And of course, pizza.

·
Registered
787 Posts
^ I suppose if you wanted to buy Amy's, or something? (Her pizzas aren't worth it, anyways.) Or if you wanted to buy vegan cheese. Hmm.

I used to love cheap store-brand, soft vanilla ice cream. Vegan VANILLA ice cream tastes like... ice. I like the fancy flavours, but what I really want is good old vanilla. Never found a sub worth buying.

I don't suppose you can make it with tofu like the chocolate one above?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelin View Post

I don't suppose you can make it with tofu like the chocolate one above?
Yeah!! Me, I love chocolate.

Okay, to make Vanilla V(egan)ice Cream or vice cream leave out the chocolate and I'd probably double up the vanilla and add a smidge more maple syrup. The recipe I was using was originally intended for vanilla, but I'm suggesting you amp it up. You may need to experiment with the exact amount for us.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.