VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
So I have noticed that the majority (if not all) animal rights t-shirts that are available are not very...fashionable. Now, I know the point is to get the message across, but I truly believe that we would have a wider audience if the shirts were just a little more attractive, and many more women would buy them.
Now, I am 20 years and pretty much clueless on how to start. I would like to sell them online. Does anybody have any experience with this? Where do I begin?? Thank you!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe you could sell as a hobbyist on Etsy or similar sites? Or I've seen a few hobbyists start off on Facebook too.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsaremyfavorite View Post

Now, I am 20 years and pretty much clueless on how to start. I would like to sell them online. Does anybody have any experience with this? Where do I begin?? Thank you!!
Clueless, 51 and yes.

I have an online business myself. (Own website plus a well established eBay presence). Not clothing though.

Starting point is to verify that there are customers. Can pretty much be taken for granted in this instance.

Second point is to know where you can buy suitable product(s) and at what price(s) you can buy them for.

Have you got that far yet?

Don't in any way take this as a promise but I am potentialy interested in partnering/investing in small vegan businesses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I haven't gotten that far yet, because Ive been told that I would need a wholesale license to buy in bulk??
I would love to have my own website too, but I should probably wait a while before doing that, huh?
I will not take that as a promise in any way shape or form, but thats still exciting!

Thank you for your help guys! I really wanna get this going pronto!

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsaremyfavorite View Post

I really wanna get this going pronto!
Then do something pronto, dear heart, do something ..

Have you actualy done anything at all? I'm talkin about free'n'easy stuff here btw. Stuff like:

1. Made up some designs or a list of slogans you want to print on shirts.

2. Collected links to some examples of the type of shirts you want to sell.

And a couple of free'n'easies that are possible 'pot-builders' to fund the 'not free but cheapies' too ..

1. Set up an ebay/etsy/wahtever shop to sell off your old junk (and stuff for freinds?) to begin the building of a sellers reputation online.

2. Looked into setting up shop on http://www.cafepress.co.uk/.

And, not a freebie, but a cheapie; Register a domain name, with some cheap webspace, and get some keyword rich content uploaded to it. Couple of tips on that;

1. The sooner you do that the better. The longer a website has had some content up then the higher the search engines rank it.

2. Make sure the domain name is relevant to the most likely search terms for the product you will eventualy sell; 'VeganShirts.com' or something like that ..

Chop-chop! Finger out! No excuses! Action stations!

It's one thing to have a dream but it is actively chasing the dream, not just the dreaming itself, that makes a dream come true?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Don't in any way take this as a promise but I am potentialy interested in partnering/investing in small vegan businesses.
If Clueless is interested, I could possibly also help you out a little (no promise here either); I can see how more fashionable message shirts could go a long way, and if it furthers a vegan cause I'm happy to help facilitate if there's anything simple I can do (like connecting you to suppliers, or design help).

We definitely need to get the message out there more strongly, and you are right that most message shirts look... well, a bit unfashionable.

Questions:

What's your background? Do you have any experience in fashion or graphic design? How many man-hours a week can you dedicate to this? What kind of capital can you leverage?

Your product line (particularly in fashion) will need models and representation.
Clueless and I would probably be no help there.

Are you willing to put your face forward very publicly?

You can probably get this running for as little as five or ten thousand dollars out of your garage (product development, website, starting inventory, equipment, etc.).

Given both the small budget and the product, Kickstarter would really be ideal for something like this. That will also prove you have a market before you have to make any serious investment.

You'll need a camera, a mic, and a place you can film, and some video editing software.

One can usually borrow a camera, but a mic is harder to find; you should be able to buy one for $20-$30 off the net. There's free video editing software, but you'll need to dedicate ten or so hours to learning it, and then more time to editing the video itself.

You'll also need product mockups to show people what they'll be getting, either physical (in the video) or digital (3d, sketches, or photo-manipulation).

Quote:

Then do something pronto, dear heart, do something ..
[...]

It's one thing to have a dream but it is actively chasing the dream, not just the dreaming itself, that makes a dream come true?
All good advice.

Get on it!

·
Registered
139 Posts
You should definitely check out my shirts! I have my own website which I'm sure you'd love too

[link removed]
Tell me what you think and hopefully it'll give you some ideas!

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

If Clueless is interested ..
Always, most estimable matey

I would not recommend a person with no business experience to spend as much as $5-10k though.

Nor to take on a project that may, as a first bite, be more than they can chew.

Not the height of professionalism, perhaps, but my own view is this; The most important first thing to learn about business is how to beg borrow and steal - get everything you need on the cheap if you can't actualy get it for nothing at all.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kailei View Post

You should definitely check out my shirts! I have my own website which I'm sure you'd love too

Tell me what you think and hopefully it'll give you some ideas!
I had a look at this Kaelei, very enterprising!

Did you do the designs on the shirts on yourself?

Anything you can tell us (about costs/sales particularly) that may be usefull to Cows?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:

I would not recommend a person with no business experience to spend as much as $5-10k though.
I was thinking pursuant to a kickstarter campaign wherein the orders were already placed (and it would just be a matter of frantically filling them and taking care of complaints).

Given likely profit margins for a start up like this, I'm guessing most of that would be eaten up by the inventory for the first order (a few thousand dollars of blank shirts)- profit just barely paying for the needed setup and materials (A used silkscreen or embroidering set-up would be about $1k if she really went bare-bones), with a fair margin for eventualities; I have a general idea of ink costs, but I've never done embroidery myself- I know it's a bit more expensive though (which may be because a production run is slower since the item monopolizes the embroidering head for several minutes by itself).

Quote:

Nor to take on a project that may, as a first bite, be more than they can chew.
I think filling a few hundred orders and shipping them off would be a good learning experience. One doesn't really gain an understanding of manufacturing until one is producing hundreds of something.
Provided, at least, that she's starting with the orders (and not wearing several hats at once). The process itself is technically rather simple- it just takes a lot of man hours and some organizational skill.

She needs to start out with at least a large enough order (if we're talking kickstarter) to pay for the basic tools she needs- unless, of course, she can compromise a bit on the high-quality fashion idea until she gets an idea of the process with more primitive tools and cheaper materials.

She'd need about $50 to bootstrap a DIY silkscreening project in her garage. The results would be less than impressive, though.

Quote:

Not the height of professionalism, perhaps, but my own view is this; The most important first thing to learn about business is how to beg borrow and steal - get everything you need on the cheap if you can't actualy get it for nothing at all.
This is probably true. She might be aiming a little high. It's harder than it would seem to make really fashionable clothes, and it may not be possible for her without starting from less than fashionable beginnings.

However, if she has some good ideas and good designs, and enough charisma to get the funds she needs from Kickstarter to get going, I'd say go for it.

Quote:

I had a look at this Kaelei, very enterprising!
Awe.. I missed the link.

Mods, can you please make an exception this once?

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

Awe.. I missed the link.

Mods, can you please make an exception this once?
My posts are all moderated (because I'm a baaaad baaaad boy) so if the mods have any problem with following then it should not appear ..

Google "spreadshirt empathy animals kailei" and you should be able to find it from there.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:

Google "spreadshirt empathy animals kailei" and you should be able to find it from there.
Thanks Clueless, found it.

Unfortunately, the usage of "their" as a gender neutral singular pronoun is one of my pet peeves. >_<

"Every being values their life" should be "All beings value their lives" or "Every being values its life", or with two gendered pronouns: "Every being values his or her life"

Or more simply: "Every being values life" or "Every being values personal life"

Or maybe even: "Every being's life is valued by said being" Hmm... no, that might be going a bit too far.

By the way: Check your PMs

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey guys, I'd love to answer questions but I'm confused on why the links I post don't show? Can someone please help me out!

·
Registered
319 Posts
New members aren't allowed to post links.

It's board policy to help prevent spamming. Stick around for a few weeks, and make posts around the forum to participate and you'll be allowed to post links in a jiffy.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Mod Post

Hey Kailei, I had sent you a private message yesterday explaining why the links were removed.
As listed the rules, we don't want people posting links until they become an established member. We want members to contribute, and not just to come here to post some links, then drop off the face of the earth.

Quote:
Do not post links/solicitations/petitions/etc. until you've established yourself as a regular member of this community - our general rule is for 30 days after you've registered. This is not meant to be a place for you to post once and go. This is meant to be a community. We have a zero tolerance policy on spam or more importantly what we perceive to be spam - even if it's veg/AR related. If you do not adhere to this rule your account may be banned.
But if you hang around a bit and join in on some of the conversations, you are more than welcome to share your website!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes, I designed the shirts myself and thanks for the compliment!
Well, what in particular would you like to know? Throw the questions at me

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I designed the shirts myself and thanks for the compliment!
Well, what in particular would you like to know? Throw the questions at me
Well, Cows seems not be around and this was for her benefit, but ..

1. Any set up costs to sell that way?

2. How many units do you manage to sell per week/month?

3. How much, after fees and whatever, sticks to your mitts per week/per month?

Most importantly, as you are already in the vegan shirt game; What advice would you give to a newbie, like Cows, from everything you have learned so far?

·
Registered
139 Posts
1. Well, you see I use an online store (spreadshirt) to do this all for me!
2. To be honest, I started in November and I have sold well, not much... I am still trying to get my site out there, unfortunately.
3. With the above being said, you can pick how much you want to make

The advice I'd give is to put your heart into it. When you put your heart and soul into something, others will see that and hopefully support you along the way.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for catching the error but hopefully you can look past that and see the dedication towards animal empathy!
It's POD, you can fix the error, no problem.

I should have been asleep hours ago @[email protected] OK, this is formally my last post of the day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.