VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've heard so much mixed stuff about it over the years but i decided at this point it was worth a shot. it's covered with hubby's benefits from work. i've been having problems with my knees, hips, lower back and neck, not to mention ongoing severe headaches since i was a kid and sinus problems.

well hubby started getting a sore shoulder at work and a coworker recommended his chiropractor so we went for a (free) assessment. turns out he's got one leg 1/2 an inch shorter than the other so his hips and shoulders aren't level and he has a huge spinal curve. so everything's off kilter and causing problems.

myself, it's probably all posture related but we talked a lot about diet as well. there's a holistic nutritionist who works out of their office so she recommended i make an appointment with her to find out where i'm going wrong. i've been wanting to do this anyway, i really feel like i'm missing something major lately, i haven't felt well in a long time.

anyway because we went in as a couple i got to sit in on his adjustment and it was a little scary watching her work on him but when it was my turn it didn't actually hurt or anything. she's really nice and explained things really well beforehand so we knew what to expect. she adjusted my hips, lower back, the area between the shoulders and my neck. the neck was scary cause it popped REALLY loud but it didn't hurt. it's a bit sore today and my lower back is a bit sore but overall i feel pretty good. it's like a muscle soreness like after a workout, not a joint pain. she told us it would probably happen and it's normal because we don't use those muscles much.

anyway we have to go back 3 times a week for a month or we'll just undo what she did with our bad habits lol and then after that we can go to a regular maintenace every few months or whatever.

from what she said and what i read in the pamphlets and readouts she gave us, my neck could very well be causing my headaches and sinus problems. i'm hoping that this will take care of it or at least help. i'm not sure if it's a good sign or not but i got a little bit of a headache after the adjustment but it didn't last long and was very mild. they say whatever problem they're correcting sometimes gets worse before it gets better so for now i'm taking it as a good sign.

anyway i'll try to post an update at some point in case anyone is interested or has been thinking about trying it

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I will be interested in hearing an update...I've been toying with the idea of seeing a chiropracter but I am not 100% comfortable with the idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Healing thoughts headed your way.

Hubby went to one after he was rear-ended and it was the best thing he could have done.

I look forward to hearing your updates.

Mena

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Maybe the mixed stuff you heart has it's origin in how esoteric or down to earth someone does his/her work. On what you've told about your chiropractor one can tell that she does diligent work and therefore I speculate on a success with you. Anyway I wish you that success! And I'm also waiting for your update.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my lower back's been really sore at work the last 2 days. i suspect my shoes though, i started wearing my gym shoes outside of the gym, cause well i never go to the gym anyway lol. i just started wearing them to work thinking they'd be more comfortable than my canvas shoes. halfway through today's shift i switched back to the canvas shoes and it helped a little. so not sure it has anything to do with the chiro., just a coincidence. or maybe i'm just noticing it more since the adjustment i dunno. we'll see how it goes, i don't go back til tuesday anyway so if my back hurts again tomorrow with my old shoes i'll mention it to her when i go in.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have the same problem your Hubby does... one leg 1/4 inch shorter than the other. I couldn't live without my chiropractor. I saw one growing up and loved it and now with a degenerated, herniated disk I buy her Christmas presents as well as my pressure point massuese. Love them! Good Luck and keep it up cause you will be sore at first and will probably have to get your body used to this new "position".

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i missed my appointment yesterday which really sucked because my back and neck were really sore and i had a headache all day, i was really looking forward to going in to see if she could help.

anyway i went in today and she said it's normal to be a little sore. when she went to do my neck i said it was a little scary so she said we could try a different way. she had me lay on my stomach with my head to the side and she dropped the headrest rather than the usual way of doing it. i didn't feel it pop or anything but it doesn't hurt at all now so i guess it did something. back feels great today too.

i find i really am conscious of my posture now that she's shown me where i'm going wrong. i hold my head forward too much, i notice it all the time now and try to correct myself. it could be why my lower back has been sore, suddenly i'm in the right position and whatever strain or pressure i have is in the lower back instead of my neck lol. i even sleep with my head forward lol. she says it's really common these days because we're so used to leaning forward to see monitors and tvs etc.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
This is interesting. I wonder if maybe my headaches are caused by my bad posture. I don't know if a chiropractor would be good for me... I can't stand having my back touched.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
215 Posts
You guys sound just like I did back in November! My leg was longer than the other and in my neck and lower back my discs were diminishing because things weren't aligned properly. My back hurt so bad I couldn't get into a position that would make me comfortable. It was horrible. But yea, as soon as I started going 3 times a week for 6 weeks, then 2 times a week for 2 weeks, then 1 time a week for 3 weeks......wow. The first visit was major. The pain went away immediately but came back slowly between visits. My chiro said the reason you're sore is because your muscles are trained to pull your vertabrae the wrong way and now they are being worked to go the right now. So they're sore because they're working and being retrained. I still hurt a little bit, I might go in this Friday instead of next week but the change was major. Hope everything goes well for you guys! Oh yea, the problem is called subluxations.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

i've heard so much mixed stuff about it over the years but i decided at this point it was worth a shot. it's covered with hubby's benefits from work. i've been having problems with my knees, hips, lower back and neck, not to mention ongoing severe headaches since i was a kid and sinus problems.

well hubby started getting a sore shoulder at work and a coworker recommended his chiropractor so we went for a (free) assessment. turns out he's got one leg 1/2 an inch shorter than the other so his hips and shoulders aren't level and he has a huge spinal curve. so everything's off kilter and causing problems.

myself, it's probably all posture related but we talked a lot about diet as well. there's a holistic nutritionist who works out of their office so she recommended i make an appointment with her to find out where i'm going wrong. i've been wanting to do this anyway, i really feel like i'm missing something major lately, i haven't felt well in a long time.

anyway because we went in as a couple i got to sit in on his adjustment and it was a little scary watching her work on him but when it was my turn it didn't actually hurt or anything. she's really nice and explained things really well beforehand so we knew what to expect. she adjusted my hips, lower back, the area between the shoulders and my neck. the neck was scary cause it popped REALLY loud but it didn't hurt. it's a bit sore today and my lower back is a bit sore but overall i feel pretty good. it's like a muscle soreness like after a workout, not a joint pain. she told us it would probably happen and it's normal because we don't use those muscles much.

anyway we have to go back 3 times a week for a month or we'll just undo what she did with our bad habits lol and then after that we can go to a regular maintenace every few months or whatever.

from what she said and what i read in the pamphlets and readouts she gave us, my neck could very well be causing my headaches and sinus problems. i'm hoping that this will take care of it or at least help. i'm not sure if it's a good sign or not but i got a little bit of a headache after the adjustment but it didn't last long and was very mild. they say whatever problem they're correcting sometimes gets worse before it gets better so for now i'm taking it as a good sign.

anyway i'll try to post an update at some point in case anyone is interested or has been thinking about trying it

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
i too have gone to chiropracters for about 10 years, on and off. i have found that some techniques were more successful than others. i have gone back to the one that i went to as a teenager.... her technique has changed over the years, sometimes known as an osteopath, i think. but she always has a holistic sense, and her newest tech. is great... i finally have success!!!

but for a few years i did go to a chiro who, looking back on it, was a little shady. they did alot of xrays and spinal tests monthly, and were very charming..... they charmed me out of alot of money. they called incessantly, if i wasnt there 3 times a week. it was kinda wierd esp. when i was out of town. they got me to join some chiro club, that supposedly would save me money, but it really did nothing. i had to sign yearly contracts, etc. it was like a cult.

i only say this as a warning.... trust your instincts, ask questions.

they took they fancy tests, told me my spine has some degeneration, i had a shorter leg, which i knew.... but apparently most everyone does.

i have also gotten some relief w/ physical therapy... doing simple exercises to help strengthen the back, stretch out the kinks, etc. that we get from things like sitting at the comp all day, driving, stress. my insurance doesnt cover chiro, but does PT.

but good luck and let us know how it goes for ya.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so far so good. i think i've had 2 headaches since i started going which is pretty good for me. i find my neck is always a bit sore coming out of there but doesn't last too long. and i'm more aware of my posture now, i correct myself a lot when i get into a bad position. it's uncomfortable to slouch the way i normally do now but still not comfortable to be perfectly straight either

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so my sinuses have been acting up like crazy because of the weather changes, and i think i'm developing seasonal allergies.

i went into the chiro yesterday and she had me fill out this questionaire about improvements and what i still have problems with and stuff. i mentioned sinuses on it so she tried something new. she does cranial sacral message therapy apparantly (face and scalp massage basically, they manipulate the joints in your skull to relieve pressure etc).

when i stood up it was an instant relief.

not 100% but so much better than it was. crazy.

tomorrow i go for a scan to show my progress

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Grr, grrr, grrh!

Which joints of the skull????

Anyway, hope your sinuses open and wish you'll feel fine again soon.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
beats me. she basically just massaged my scalp and forehead. why?

my sinuses are still crappy, i guess it's just the weather or allergies

anyway i had my scan done wednesday. looks like all the tension in my neck and lower back is gone but the middle area between the shoulder blades has gotten worse, and all to one side. so she said she will try a different strategy.

i'm down to 2 visits a week now though so that's good

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

Grr, grrr, grrh!

Which joints of the skull????

Anyway, hope your sinuses open and wish you'll feel fine again soon.
why the strong reaction, Lothar? I've had CS massage and it felt kinda weird but nothing dangerous... ???

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I may be wrong but the joints in the skull aren't supposed to move or be manipulated. Maybe the muscles around the joints? Perhaps that's what the chiro meant.

·
Banned
134 Posts
The one leg being longer than the other can be fixed with good adjustments. One guy has made huge advancements on chiropractic and received an award for it from President Ronald Reagan. It uses a gentle scientific method so there is no popping or cracking. You may be able to help your friend recover much faster. See this site on this more advanced form of chiropractic. It helped me greatly and I broke my back.

I did not sever the spinal chord so I was not crippled but I broke one of my vertebrae. This site tells about my experiences with chiropractors and why you hear mixed reports. One thing is for sure. The guys legs should be perfectly even when he leaves the chiropractic office. My chiropractor does not let anyone leave if their legs are not even and sometimes it is not easy to get them even.

I need to put this on that site. I told my other chiropractor, Dr G, that even though he could not help me at all, this other one, Dr H did. So this lady goes to Dr G and she is really messed up. She cannot stand up straight and has been in lots of pain for 2 years. Her life is a mess. So he says that he cannot help her and sends her to Dr H.

I just happen to be there when Dr H sees her. I hear her talking to him and she is crying. He takes his precise X rays and figures out what to do. He adjusts her and she can stand up straight for the first time in years. Her neck was so sore, when he touched it she would scream. She comes in the 2nd time. She is still standing up straight and when he touches her neck, it is not sore at all. She is doing great and Dr G is happy because he did help her by sending her to Dr H. The 2nd method you had done on you is called the toggle method. Dr G did it on me but nothing he tried could help me.

Neck and Back Pain

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
she might have said muscles, i dunno, all i know is she massaged my scalp. there wasn't any pain or discomfort. she used more pressure than a scalp massage you'd receive from a hairdresser or something, but it was still pretty relaxing and seemed to relieve a lot of pressure.

lately my sinuses and ears are so blocked up it's throwing off my balance and concentration. i haven't been able to think straight and remember simple things lately (i've shown up at the wrong time and once on the wrong day for my chiro appointments 3 times) and the longer it goes on the more i think it's my sinuses and ears causing it. i was thinking of getting ear candling done to see if it helps. everything in that area is so connected, you can't really just treat one or the other, if something's blocked everything is. i've noticed my hearing isn't as good as it used to be and i've been subconciously speaking more quietly which i think is because of my ears too (hard to explain).

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update..

i had another progress scan and questionnaire today. scan looks good, still some tension in the upper back but everything else looks perfect. she forgot to give me a copy to compare to the other 2, i'll ask next week if she can still print one for me.

anyway when i was filling out the questionnaire i realized it really has made a difference. way less headaches and much less severe, no neck pain, lower back is a lot better, hips haven't bothered me at all in weeks.

i told her i was worried about my knees, they get stiff when i'm sitting or standing in one position for any length of time and crack a lot, and sometimes hurt going down stairs. my mom's started out the same way and then the last year or so started swelling up and hurting a lot so she got checked out and she's got no cartilage left so it's bone on bone. as far as the doctors can tell there's nothing wrong with her ie arthritis or osteoperosis or anything like that, it's just wear and tear from being inactive.

i walk a lot so hopefully mine won't get like that but it still worries me, my mom and i are so much alike that we share afflictions, meaning anything she gets i get and vise versa. so the chiro did an adjustment on my knees today which was wierd and suggested i start taking glucosomine now to prevent them getting bad later. my mom takes it but it's too late to reverse the damage that's done, hopefully if i start now i can prevent it.

she also suggested orthotics. they are covered by my husband's benefits from work, he just ordered some yesterday for himself actually. but we have to pay upfront and get reimbursed and they're expensive so i have to wait til next month or til he gets the money back for his at least.

we're still on weekly visits but we're done our "corrective treatment" and now phasing into maintenance, they offer a monthly plan where we pay one set fee and go in weekly but we can go in more often if we need it and not pay extra. our benefits have run out on it this year so i'm not sure, it's a fair bit of money. not tons but we're a bit tight right now and trying to get some new apartment stuff so we'll see. i was hoping she'd say we could go in every couple of weeks now or something. i don't want to mess with it if it's working though

1 - 20 of 20 Posts