VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always big, not fat, but big, to the point that in the early 80s, I at six foot even weighed 250 with a BMI of 16 and a waist of only 34.
I would go into bars and look for the fights, friday was fight night for me. If someone else didnt start it, I would. And I would win.
In 95 some guy was tailgaiting me while I was pulling my boat, he cut around and passed me on a double yellow and did a brake job on me when he got back in front. He made the mistake for stopping at the next light. I actuallly pulled him out the window of his car and beat him on the spot.
What changed me was when I got pulled for a dui and refused to take the breath test, the cop was walking me through the station and kept tripping me to show how drunk I was,, I did warn him that sooner or later the handcuffs would come off... well, he took them off in the station and I knocked him over a desk, three other cops pulled me off of him.. I spent a little bit of jail time for that.

Since then Ive been good. No fights, no arguments no trouble.

the other day I was driving my wifes Jetta, a small car, I was doing the speed limit and this guy came up on me acting the ass, tailgaiting flashing his lights etc.. then he raced around and breaked me..

well, today i was in my 3500 dually and I had the fortune of coming up behind him on the same road. So, I did to him in his little SUV that he had done to me in my smaller Jetta. We both pulled into the store parking lot at the same time. he got out and started to go off on me for trying to intimidate him with my bigger truck, I explained to him that I was in the Jetta that he had done the same thing to the other day, and if he had a problem with it, go ahead and say ONE MORE WORD,, he didnt.

Now I wonder, does one ever actually lose that not so good a guy attitude or does it follow you for life., of course, 15 years ago i would have just beat him right there on the spot.

One thing for sure, I seriously do not want to spend one more night in a jail cell.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Hey, makes me think of Papayamon's recent threads...similar in tone!

What is it you're looking for here?

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
I think that it is to be hoped that, at some point in life, one gains the maturity to realize that playing games in vehicles can cause someone to get killed.

I slightly knew a young woman who died because of criminal foolishness like this. A guy thought she had cut him off when she passed him on the highway. He got in front of her, braked, and she lost control of her car and was killed.

He was caught and got prison. Her family got a marker by the side of the highway where she died.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I wouldn't call it a "not so good a guy attitude" I would call it criminal behavior. You know right from wrong so take responsibility for your actions and do better because you know better.

I sure would like to know what you thought you were going to accomplish by confronting and idiot tailgater, what were you trying to prove? Just let it go.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
maybe some therapy will help. things like road rage and a tendency for assault don't go away without serious work

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
What's prison food like?

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I have a similar bad temper like my father had. His bad temper put him in prison for several years, and if he would have been one year older, he could have been in prison for life. I fear prison extremely, and that's the main thing that keeps me from beating the crap out of people who provoke me. I've never been the type to actually seek out a situation, hoping to be provoked, to give me the right to kick someone's ass. Now, if someone goes somewhere where there are others who are thinking that same way and then they fight, I guess that's not too bad. I just don't like people who try to twist things around in a weird way so they feel they have the "right" to kick someone's ass. I suspect prisons are filled with those types, which probably makes it hard to keep to yourself in prison.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Hey, makes me think of Papayamon's recent threads...similar in tone!

What is it you're looking for here?
i'm not a fighter. i repair the people who get hurt in such foolishness. the last thing i want to do is wrestle some guy down in the parking lot. i'd rather wrestle a woman between the sheets. priorities and choices.

if you're getting in a fight with some random person on the road over driving, this is a guy you wouldn't know tommorrow if you stood behind him in line. you only know his CAR. this is just industrial strength stupid. what if the guy pulls a weapon and uses it? however badass you thought you were dissolves in an instant when you take a bullet. i've worked plenty of this stupidity in the er.

i had a good friend who was famous for fighting. he was big, strong, and could really move. once he ended up beating up 3 guys in, you guessed it, a traffic sqabble. he got into a lot of trouble over that. probation, anger management, etc. i don't really see how he won anything there.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

maybe some therapy will help. things like road rage and a tendency for assault don't go away without serious work
I would think so too although I think some people grow out of it on their own as well. I've known men that got into a lot of fights when they were younger but changed when they had children or settled down.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've always had a deep hatred for cocky db's. sounds like you were a major one! hopefully age and knowledge will fix that for you. some people never change though.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts

Obi-Wan has taught you well, young Skywalker, but you're not a Jedi yet!

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
and what would be the particular satisfaction you'd get from this? seriously, think it out. would people give you recognition because you're some kind of a hero? would it make you feel more like you're in control of your life? do you think it would teach all the other men in the world not to mess with you? i just don't understand the psychological payoff. i don't see what part of it is at all pleasurable. do you find pleasure in it? do you think perhaps you have some latent homosexual tendencies? if so, are you afraid of them?

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I would think so too although I think some people grow out of it on their own as well. I've known men that got into a lot of fights when they were younger but changed when they had children or settled down.
I think that the OP has a teenaged daughter and is well into middle age.

But yeah, Fatman, you need to get help before you do something with serious consequences to others or yourself.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I hav eonly done a few intentional mean things in my life. My biggest problem as a young person was severe impulsiveness which is probably related to anger issues that you have. I think it is just a maturity issue. At least you did make major changes. Prisons are full of people who never get a grip on it.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Some anger management might be helpful. It sounds like you changed from being aggressive to being passive-aggressive instead, neither of which is ideal (especially when driving).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Fatman I have road rage issues too. Or atleast I used to. Having the kids in the car with me 90% of the time kind of cuts back on that quite a bit. You know, I don't want them seeing Mom flip the bird to somebody. That's not cool.

Anyhow, I know what you mean about wanting to teach a-holes a lesson. I'm the same way. I don't like jerks and feel the need to make them see how jerky and inconsiderate they are, (cutting people off, pulling right out in front of me and my kids, etc.), but I'm come to realize it's just not up to me to do that. I've been trying to leave it up to karma and just hope those people will quit being jerks. And also, people are CRAZY these days. I've read many new articles about people shooting eachother over traffic disputes.....

It's like politics. There are many threads on this board I'd like to chime in on, God knows I have an opinion,
, but I try just leave it be. Why? Because first of all it just riles me up and probably raises my blood pressure. Second of all, it's too time and thought consuming. Imagine how much negative energy you are using getting riled up.

If you somebody driving too badly just take the plate down and call the popo. Tell them you see a reckless driver and maybe suspect he/she is drunk. I've done it before and hopefully if they pulled the person over, then perhaps that person is driving a tad bit better now.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't think what Fatman did was all that shocking, and certainly didn't seem overly violent. Perhaps tense, and not necessary, but I for one am not going to judge. There are times that I would like to hop off my bicycle and pummel ignorant drivers for their threatening and dangerous behaviour on the road, but so long as there is no violence, then I don't see the problem.

Fatman just told the guy what had happened and made him face his own hypocrisy. Not heroic, perhaps, but maybe he's made the guy rethink his driving. Also if someone wants to come up and shout in my face I'm not going to meekly back down and take it. That's not 'good guy/bad guy,' that's standing up for yourself to hypocritical bullies. Only thing OP did wrong was driving recklessly, which was stupid and, yes, bad, but considering he's acknowledged that he does have road rage and has changed over time, maybe lay off him a bit with the preachy 'oh you can never be MAD at someone' nonsense.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts