VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm still in shock, and really upset. if you're really squeemish or a major cat lover you may not want to read this.

just a little while ago i was watching tv and heard barking outside. i didn't think anything of it at first. then i heard a couple of yelps and more barking and it sounded like it was in my back yard. i thought someone was beating a dog at first, then i heard a cat squeeling the way they do when they're in a fight or stepped on or whatever. so went to the back door to see what was going on and saw a big red dog run through my yard to the one next door. i put some shoes on quickly (the first pair i could find which were my bf's and huge on me) and stepped out into the yard. i looked over and saw the red dog as well as another, just as big, cornering a cat. i grabbed a broom from inside the house and ran out yelling at them to scare them off but they didn't budge. by the time i got close enough to see what was happening one dog was shaking the cat by the throat, and killed it.

it was so awful
i ran to a neighbour's house and she called animal control while i called the police. both just left a few minutes ago, i have to type out a report for them to pick up on monday. the owner did run over and get the dogs, his fence broke and they got loose, he was really upset about what happened and his gf/wife came over with the truck to take the dogs home and she was crying when the officer told her what happened. anyway we don't know who owns the cat so the neighbour i talked to said she might knock on a few doors in the nieghbourhood. i don't know if i will join, for one i work all week, but i don't think i can break that kind of news to someone. the officer said the owners will probably call the humane society when they realize the cat is missing, and they will tell them everything, otherwise he said not to worry about it cause there are a lot of houses the cat could have wandered from.

i feel just awful. i might throw up.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Aww, that is really terrible. I've never actually seen a dog who didn't get along with a cat before. I always thought that was more of a cartoon thing. I'm sorry you had to see that happen in your backyard.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i'm still shaking. i just finished typing up that report. i realized i was in so much shock and so freaked out that i didn't get the officer's name, the name of the neighbour i talked to, or anything.

it's just so awful, and such a horrible coincidence because like i mentioned in slutII a friend found out yesterday his cat had been shot a dozen or so times by someone and later died. they don't think they'll ever know who it was or what exactly happened.

at least in this case the owner of the dogs is known and someone witnissed what happened, so they won't always have that "what if" haunting them

·
Registered
0 Posts
Oh my god, you poor thing! What a terrible thing to have to see.
Well, at least you know you did everything you could. Wow, I just feel so bad for you. I would have been so mad at that dog's owners for leaving him in a yard, especially with a faulty fence.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
How awful for you, and those poor people who lost their cat. What are the people going to do with their dog? Has the dog been violent before? I hate to see the dog destroyed but there might be something wrong with him in this case.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
oh, LF. i have seen animals killed before (run over by cars), it was always traumatizing for me. don't feel weird about needing to grieve or process it. violent death is always a hard thing to be witness to.

the thing is, dogs ARE natural-born killers. they have a hunting instinct in them. it seems to me that some have it stronger than others (and i wonder if it has anything to do with them being spayed or neutered or not). for instance, my dog loves to chase smaller critters; cats and squirrels mostly, but even when she's cornered one she's never gone in for the kill. it seems to me she doesn't really understand what her instincts are telling her.

although the dog was violent and probably would do it again, i hate to think it will be destroyed as a result. really the owner should have been more careful with his method of keeping the dogs penned up.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"I've never actually seen a dog who didn't get along with a cat before."

"Has the dog been violent before? I hate to see the dog destroyed but there might be something wrong with him in this case."

Huh?

When my keepers don't let me stalk and mount women, for a long period of time, all kinds of non-women started looking, from a distance, like they just might be the attractive woman I was hoping for: street signs, garbage cans, carpet vacuum cleaners. One tends to see what one has been looking for. Eventually, one of these may even have to do, as the object of my Folger's Coffee instincts (Folgers coffee being "mount and groan"). So too with dogs, who have a tremenous instinct to pounce and fling. They think about pouncing and flinging even more than men think about mounting and groaning. In the artifically created, by their husbanders, absense of rabbits and squirrels -- a cat may start looking like a rabbit of a squirrel, to such a dog.

It isn't a matter of not getting along with the cat. It is a matter of needing a rabbit to pounce on and fling around, looking for one all day and night, and upon coming upon a cat -- that's a rabbit, right? "Gotta pounce; gotta fling; I'm a dog; that's what I sing."

Do you really expect dogs in the heat of this kind of lust to make a distinction between cats and rabbits? If they will mount a table leg when they are lusting for sex, they will pounce on a cat when they are lusting for the chase.

They're dogs for cries sake, not gentlemen, or ladies.

If you don't want this kind of thing to happen you shouldn't keep them around, cultivate them, husband them, unless you are willing to take sufficient measures to keep them fully captive and restrained.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
LF, I'm so sorry you had to witness this. How awful. *big hug* Like Kreeli said, dont feel weird about needing time to deal w/this. You have been through something very tragic & emotional & its normal to need time to cope. Remember that we're all here for you if you need to talk about it. I hope you have someone w/you to give you a big hug & be there for emotional support right now.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys. there were two dogs, they ganged up on the poor thing. the spca guys know the owner and said the dogs have never been a problem before and are well controlled most of the time. it was just a fluke thing, and the dogs didn't seem to understand what they'd done after and looked confused that they were being yelled at. the way the one dog shook the cat was like how a dog shakes a chewtoy.

i think i saw the owners of the cat looking for him today. i was still in my pajamas and they had their kids with them so didn't go outside and talk to them. i was hoping i'd run into them when i went out later on in the day but didn't.

i do feel a bit better about it today though, last night i went into the spiritual chat site i go to and someone there got a connection with the cat right when i entered the room, before i even said anything. she said the kitty was confused at how it passed, like it was so sudden that it didn't know what happened, so that's comforting because it means he/she didn't feel much pain, it was just here, and then there. but the reason i think the people i saw were the owners was cause the girl online said they had 3 kids, one very young, 2 boys and a girl, and she saw a red shirt. when i saw them today they had 3 kids with them, a young boy in a stroller, another boy and a girl, and the mom was wearing a red sweater. also they were looking around a lot, up in trees and up driveways. so based on that and the other stuff the medium told me, i think i know roundabouts which house they live in. so when the spca guy comes by tomorrow i'm going to tell him which house i think they live in.

oh but no the cop said the dogs wouldn't be put down or anything, unless of course the owners decided to do so on their own. they're just getting fined for not having them tied up properly.

of course, the tracks are still there in the back yard, in the snow, so every time i look out the window i'm reminded. i'll feel better once the family knows what happened though

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
People don't ask that dogs be killed because the dog killed other animals, unless they do lots of damage to animals that people own and value, thus harming people; it is only if the dogs harm people, as above or by attacking the people directly, that people ask to have the dogs killed. It is perfectly natural for dogs to attack other animals, they are predators. As long as no-one owns the animal, the dog isn't doing anything any more murderous than you wold be, if you killed the dog in response. Killing a dog because it killed a cat that no-one came forward to claim that they values, is more of a crime than what the dog did by killing the cat. It is just a way of communicating that you value cats more than dogs, and would make any claims that you made to not being a "speciesist" sound awfully insincere.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
By the way "ganging up" on prey is also instinctive for dogs. They sit around all day thinking about it, the way I sit around all day thinking about sex. That is what they are doing when they chase cars. The just "gotta" 'cause they're dogs. Dogs will be dogs. It's absurd to think of harming them for being dogs, unless there is no other way to prevent harm from coming to humans, as a result. It is the very antithesis of being kind to animals.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
While the owners of the dog should not leave their dogs unattended, and capable of harming property or wild animals, for the same reasons, neither should the owners of the cat. The ower of the dogs and cat are thus each half responsible for the loss of the cat. The dogs are not responsible at all.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm so confused by what you're suggesting Soilman. Are you saying that all dogs chase and harm creatures smaller than them? It is true that they have an instinct to chase things that run.

Anyway, it's pretty common for dogs that are kept in the backyard with little companionship to become aggressive. Especially if they can see things moving by on the other side of the fence. I've read that they contribute their aggression to whatever creature happens to moving by it (especially if it's children that like to taunt the dog). Dogs are pack animals and need to feel a part of a group...for my dogs their "group" consists of me, my husband, and our cats. They get along great with each other.

I don't think that all dogs are the same like you are saying Soilman. I think that they all have their seperate personalities and I've seen dogs utterly defy certain stereotypes. For instance, when one of my dogs sees a cat she wants to chase it even though we have cats at home. Either she cannot differentiate (as you say), or she just has a challenging nature where she likes to challenge other animals. However, when my other dog sees a cat, or ANY animal (including the ducks at the park), he shows interest in getting to know them. For instance, with a cat, he will cautiously sniff noses with it and if the cat were to show any signs of aggression he would back off and assume the "play stance" and try sniffing noses again more gently than before. Not sure if you would be interested, but if you are, there are plenty of websites and books that you could read that explain the behaviour of dogs and why they do many of the things that they do.

Oh, and I laughed when you mentioned the thing about a dog being attracted to a female human. Ummmm...you should really research that. Sorry if that came off as snobby.
It was just really funny to me because that is just not true and couldn't scientifically be possible for a dog to be attracted to a human.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Gazumper writes:

"I'm a dog, yet I'm also the perfect gentlemen."

Hee hee, har har, ho ho.

"Hello there little Red Riding Hood; you sure are looking good...

Aaaoooo!!!"

I'm gonna keep my sheep suit on

until I'm sure that you've been shown

that I can be trusted

walkin' with you alone.

Aaaoooo!!!"

Sam the Sham and the Pharohs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts