VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live with my real mother (egg donater) and her fiance because I lost my job and my apartment a while ago and needed somewhere cheap to live.

I never grew up with her, so I only see her as a roommate. All i have to say is THANK GOD I DIDN'T GROW UP WITH HER!

ARG!

The neighbor kids in our condo, for the last year, have screamed and cursed day and night. I've heard "f-you you m-f b-" at every hour on the clock. Today, all the neighbors had enough. We reported en masse to the landlord, who has also had enough. There are toddlers living next door. They should be allowed to play outside without having to hear that.

Well, Debbie is mad at me for being one of the people to report it! /faint She said that it isn't my place to say anything like that and that the swearing doesn't affect me. Hello? I don't swear and I don't want to hear it. I can't sit outside because those kids are trying to beat each other up, cursing and swearing, screaming so loud that you can hear them 2 blocks down. (The neighbors 2 blocks down also complained).

She got mad at me for it and flipped out. She said that it was cruel of me to do it to that family. Hello? The parents sit inside, they hear it, but don't do anything about it. It isn't like the parents do'nt know about it.

She is going to the landlord and going to try to convince them to let the family stay because she feels sorry for them. /boggle

Of course, her doing things like this is normal. I could rant about how she tells everyone on the block she's my mom (LOL she is *not*, my mom is the person who raised me, thank you very much).

Anyway, back on subject. She thinks its ok for those kids to curse and scream like that? With toddlers living next door? I can't even write when they are outside because of all the cursing. I have to close my windows, no matter how hot it is outside.

I don;t understand it at all.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1. I think that because you are a guest, it wasn't your place and you need to be a bit more gracious. You should have talked to your mom about it (since it is HER HOME), asked what she thinks should be done and then respected it (stayed out of it).

2. Did you try to talk to the folks about the kids? Did you try to talk to the kids?

I can't stand neighbors that run off and tell before even trying to talk to you and giving you a chance to make corrections. My mom's neighbors called the pound on my dog because she escaped from the fenced back yard and was sitting, unrestrained in the front yard. Then, they called the landlord and told her that my dog was hanging out in their yard (I didn't even realize this- the dog was escaping out of a little hole in the fence and hanging out in their yard and then running back through when she heard me come out). All they had to do was simply knock on the door and explain. I would have apologized and taken care of it immediately. They would rather create bad neighbor vibes-

Maybe you should move if you are so disappointed in the place and your mother, and let your mother live how she chooses in her own home.

Just my thoughts. I live in my mother's home temporarily, also. There are all kinds of things I disagree with (I have siblings that are quite young and are up until 2 or 3 am being chaotic) and my mother is always screaming at them (which I HATE)- However, it is not my home and my mother has tolerated me, my son, my loud, crazy parrot, and my big puppy- who am I to say a word, what to speak of getting her neighbors (who are jerks) thrown out?

She has a right to be mad, I think. I think its cool that she cares enough to be upset that those folks are getting tossed...

All that being said, I guess I really don't know enough about your situation to have an informed opinion. So, take what I said with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Good response, I think. Covers what I would have said, only more thoroughly.

I understand how you feel, Krista, and I'm glad you can vent here, so I totally support you. It's an F'd up situation, but you'll have to deal with it until you can better. Life's a peach, ain't it?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think you did the right thing. There's nothing worse than hearing such filthy language come from children's mouths.
I used to work in a day care, and I've seen some of the most angelic-looking little faces, spew some of the most awful language. It's really sad. I would hate to hear that all day and all night, and I would defintely have reported it too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pay RENT! I am on the lease. I am not a guest. I live there. And the point of us being in this condo is because there isn't anywhere else to live right now in my price range.

The parents are sit there and watch the kids do it. They don't care. We've called the police on them. The parents shrug it off with "boys will be boys."

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aksjg

2. Did you try to talk to the folks about the kids? Did you try to talk to the kids?
Its actually not her place to confront the kids or neighbours about it, she should be going through the landlord to get these matters fixed. While it is thought to be common courtesy, the simple fact is the neighbour will most likely tell her to f-off and mind her own business and thus create even more discord than going thru the landlord with all the other tenants. What the landlord decides to do about it is the landlords problem, it should not be your problem or your responsibility to make sure the other tenants are respectful of the rules and regulations that they signed. Another reason to go through the landlord is because this will give you a leg to stand on if it isnt taken care of and wish to leave the property prior to the expiration of the lease. Yet another reason, is that the landlord becomes aware of the problem if it continues to be a problem and thus the landlord can take action sooner rather than you waiting for the neighbour to change their ways, then finding out they havent and then going to the landlord, who is going to tell you that you should have told him sooner.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok- well, see then- I didn't know all that. That changes alot- you pay rent, you are on the lease- I didn't know that.

That is a hard situation. I feel bad for the kids (mouthy as they may be, and you know where they picked that language up)- now they will be homeless. If it was hard for you to find a place, imagine how hard it is when you've just been evicted and have a bunch of crazy kids. Not blaming you- its just a sucky situation (one I have been in before myself- I, thank goodness, had the ability to finally just move and leave them to their chaos)-

Anyhow, sorry- I didn't have all the information. I suppose I would have done the same if all other efforts failed.

Don't feel so bad. I would just not even discuss the issue with Mom- let it blow over (if she is anything like my mom, bless her heart, there is no winning an argument- only getting her more and more pissed off, no matter what you say)- Moms, man- can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em (hehehe- literally)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for yelling at you - you called her my "mom" after I said in the message that she isn't my mom LOL Sorry

I was one of many that complained. It wasn't just me. Everyone just had enough today. There was a 2 year old little girl trying to play in her splashing pool (think of a square common grass area with attaching housing surrounding it). And those boys were running around, cursing like that with that little girl there.

While I don't like to this often, it is the parents' fault, in this case. These kids are 14, 15 and 17 and throw temper tantrums like 4 year olds until they get their own way. After everyone is done cursing on each other (mom calls him a *******, he calls mom a b*, dad says for them to f- off, etc), we have to listen to the two boys curse and swear at each other. /sigh

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, those are excellent points too, Majake. I know when I confronted my neighbors about their outrageous behavior, they were total jerks about it. I put up with them for 5 months before calling the landlord (and police), but the landlord wouldn't do anything about it. So, I just finally left. Anyhow, talking to them about it in a nice, friendly (neighborly) way didn't do any good at all and actually created more tension.

Hmmm.... it is worth a try though, huh? Wow, totally our civilization in decline...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.