VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But the thing is they are carnivores, so I would have to feed it mice. Idk what to do. Im a vegan, but snakes are carnivores.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
There is an awful lot of misinformation among snake owners, particularly breeders. They are convinced, probably to ease their consciences, that snakes are happy spending their 20 year lives in a small cage. They argue that some breeds such as Royal Pythons are happier in smaller cages than larger, because they are nervous creatures. I don't know why it doesn't occur to them that if the snake is so uncomfortable in a domestic situation that it wants to hide in a small space, he or she should not be kept in a house.

Snakes don't get any pleasure out of interacting with humans because they are not social creatures and they don't look after their young or form bonds with even other snakes.

Wild caught snakes do not adapt to domestic life, and usually die of starvation unless they are force fed. They also often come with internal parasites that are likely to kill them.

Snakes fed live rodents are in terrible danger of getting bitten by the prey, not to mention how cruel it is to the rodent. Snakes do not always accept frozen/thawed rodents since they typically do not want to eat dead things due to the increase risk of disease, leading to the aforementioned starvation or force feeding.

In short, snakes are happier in the wild.

/former misguided snake owner with deep regrets

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Naw, skip the snake rescue a rat.
They make much better pets and people are always trying to get rid of them on Craigs list and such. Save one from being fed to a big snake.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
^ That is a great idea. At least rats can get environmental stimulation in their cages, and they can get pleasure from playing with humans.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
As someone with both companion rats and mice, it's my personal opinion that snakes belong in the wild. I don't see how anyone could feed such loving, friendly creatures to snakes. My mice and my boyfriend's rats are my babies and we have strong bonds. You may take my opinion as biased but I do know how intelligent and wonderful rats and mice can be.

·
Banned
841 Posts
My last roommate bred and sold snakes. They spent their lives in these cages, in their own excrement, and I found it disturbing. Living with her was one of the most significant things that planted the seed in my head where animal rights are concerned.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Ya don't, you will need to feed it live rats and i doubt you want to do that, we have a snake, or my mom does, i don't see it as mine because i don't like snakes and i don't like that she gives them live rats. It's not fun hearing it squeak when the snake gets it and slowly kills it, and a lot will not take thawed or just dead rats, ours wouldn't, luckily for him in the 8 or so years we've had him no mouse/rat has ever even tried to attack. All the snake does all day is stays curled up in a ball under his little hiding place, i see absolutely no point in having a snake, unless you somehow have an entire room for a snake, where they couldn't escape at all and had a good mock habitat.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Taking animals like snakes, rats, goldfish, rabbits, birds etc out of their natural environment and keeping them indoors and reducing their world to that of a glass bowl, tank or a cage for our own pleasure is unjustfiable cruelty.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Taking animals like snakes, rats, goldfish, rabbits, birds etc out of their natural environment and keeping them indoors and reducing their world to that of a glass bowl, tank or a cage for our own pleasure is unjustfiable cruelty.
Well ya i hope you're referring to things like pet stores and such, since i have a rabbit, and i know it wouldn't survive out in the wild like a snake could, so it would be more cruel to let it go.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I don't know a lot about snakes, but I concur that keeping a non-domesticated animal as a pet is cruel, and breeding them for this purpose is deffinatly wrong. I don't agree with buying/breeding domesticated animals either, but I do think domesticated animals can live happily as pets and in a way I don't think wild animals could.

Could you perhaps volunteer with reptile rescues somewhere? I don't know if such a situation exists but it'd allow you to care for reptiles, but in the best environment for them outside the wild. Alternativly you could adopt a domesticated animal instead, but only if you really wanted that as adopting an animal you don't really want is of course a bad idea!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

Well ya i hope you're referring to things like pet stores and such, since i have a rabbit, and i know it wouldn't survive out in the wild like a snake could, so it would be more cruel to let it go.
Rabbits are born in the wild and survive out there perfectly fine. They don't need humans to survive. But now that you have made this animal your pet, it's now dependant on you and I agree that there is a very strong possibility that it would be more cruel to let it go.

But letting them go after captivity wasn't my argument was it.
My point was that making pets of animals who's natural environment is the great outdoors and sticking them in a cage is cruel - unless it is for rescue purposes, it's a totally pointless and self-serving human desire.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Rabbits are born in the wild and survive out there perfectly fine. They don't need humans to survive. But now that you have made this animal your pet, it's now dependant on you and I agree that there is a very strong possibility that it would be more cruel to let it go.

But letting them go after captivity wasn't my argument was it.
My point was that making pets of animals who's natural environment is the great outdoors and sticking them in a cage is cruel - unless it is for rescue purposes, it's a totally pointless and self-serving human desire.
Oh i know I took mine from a person who didn't want him anymore, but these animals become pets or other animals food one way or another when other places breed them, out of all of the animals you mentioned though rabbits seem to be the most sociable, so at least there's that, my snake and bird don't seem all that happy, but my rabbit likes to be petted and get all the attention he is lol. I think most of us here take pets that were unwanted, do you think you can take a snake from captivity and put it back in the wild? I've been wondering this.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Is it possible to miss something that which you've never had?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't like how everyone's who has posted has jumped to conclusions about Adam's (The OP) intentions when we don't know them yet. Maybe he's like (most of) the rest of us and would never think of buying an animal over adopting. And snakes are abused just as much as any other animals, I don't see the harm in someone who loves them rescuing them from bad homes. It's better than just chucking the snake into the wild where it could either hurt itself and die, or cause an imbalance in the local ecosystem.

It really is sad and unfortunate that snakes have a "cruel" way of eating their prey - but that's just the way they were made. Honestly, I think 1 mouse a week is better than the many grinded up abused chickens and cows most cats and dogs eat. It's just not as easy to ignore the fact when it's a live mouse.

Just if you do happen to rescue a snake, make sure you get the largest enclosure for it that you can with lots of places to hide - and be prepared to feed it live mice (and depending on the breed, if he gets bigger - rabbits) It's not something that I can handle personally (I love mice too much), but if you think you can then good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousX View Post

I don't like how everyone's who has posted has jumped to conclusions about Adam's (The OP) intentions when we don't know them yet. Maybe he's like (most of) the rest of us and would never think of buying an animal over adopting. And snakes are abused just as much as any other animals, I don't see the harm in someone who loves them rescuing them from bad homes. It's better than just chucking the snake into the wild where it could either hurt itself and die, or cause an imbalance in the local ecosystem.

It really is sad and unfortunate that snakes have a "cruel" way of eating their prey - but that's just the way they were made. Honestly, I think 1 mouse a week is better than the many grinded up abused chickens and cows most cats and dogs eat. It's just not as easy to ignore the fact when it's a live mouse.

Just if you do happen to rescue a snake, make sure you get the largest enclosure for it that you can with lots of places to hide - and be prepared to feed it live mice (and depending on the breed, if he gets bigger - rabbits) It's not something that I can handle personally (I love mice too much), but if you think you can then good luck to you.
Agree with all of this. Especially this:

Quote:
I don't get why people have such a huge problem with live prey. Okay, so don't adopt a pet that eats live prey because you see it as cruel. Don't give that animal a home. Well guess what, that animal is either going to continue eating live things in a "cruel" way, or die, which is cruel in itself. Feeding a snake mice is necessary for its survival, and if that snake is to live, it's going to eat mice, whether you feed them to it or not.

Breeding snakes is cruel, sure, and the same can be said for any pet. But how is not adopting an answer to that? As said above regarding live food, a captive-bred rescue snake is going to live in a cage for the rest of its life whether you like it or not, unless you find a way to release it, which is very rare depending on the type of snake. If it's going to be kept in a cage, then why not adopt that snake and make sure it's kept in the cage the right way?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

Agree with all of this. Especially this:

I don't get why people have such a huge problem with live prey. Okay, so don't adopt a pet that eats live prey because you see it as cruel. Don't give that animal a home. Well guess what, that animal is either going to continue eating live things in a "cruel" way, or die, which is cruel in itself. Feeding a snake mice is necessary for its survival, and if that snake is to live, it's going to eat mice, whether you feed them to it or not.

Breeding snakes is cruel, sure, and the same can be said for any pet. But how is not adopting an answer to that? As said above regarding live food, a captive-bred rescue snake is going to live in a cage for the rest of its life whether you like it or not, unless you find a way to release it, which is very rare depending on the type of snake. If it's going to be kept in a cage, then why not adopt that snake and make sure it's kept in the cage the right way?
Huh? I was under the impression that feeding live animals to snakes is even illegal in some places. Did you guys miss the post earlier where it was pointed out that feeding live animals to snakes is also dangerous for the snakes?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Wouldn't that depend on how big the snake is?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
My point is a veg*n might not really want to do that, i hate hearing or seeing it, and there are much better pets out there that need homes, i also have a feeling snakes would be fine going back out into the wild, my snake eats live prey, and he does it exactly how snakes in the wild do, he seems the same, i don't think there is a point in a pet snake, and it seems like there are other animals better suited for a veg*n.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts